Kodi 18 beta3 issue seeking while still recording
I'm running Kodi 18 beta3 and pvr.mythtv 5.8.7.2. Sometime between one of the alphas and beta2, I've noticed a change in behavior while watching a program that is still recording. What is happening is that small skips ahead only work up to the point where the recording was when playback is started. After that, seeking goes back to the "end" of the recording which was current when playback started. Oddly, large skips work just fine. Rather confusing, so here is a specific example:

Recording starts at 10pm
Playback of recording starts at 10:08 pm, so the "end" of the recording is 10:08pm at start of playback
After watching for 10 minutes (current time and "end" of recording 10:18), there is a commercial for 2min and 30 sec, so I skip 2 big jumps of 1 min and then 3 small jumps of 10 sec. The big jumps work just fine. The first small jump takes the playback time back to 8 minutes, the "end" of the recording when playback started. Instead, playback should skip from 10min to 11min, then 12min, then 12min10sec.

I don't know if this issue is specific to pvr.mythtv or whether it affects all Kodi PVR playback. It only happens when watching a recording that hasn't finished.
A recent update fixed an issue seeking beyond the end of recording. Before the fix the playback stopped. The fixed code is below:

long long retval = (long long) m_recordingStream->Seek((int64_t)iPosition, whence);
// PVR API needs zero when seeking beyond the end
if (retval < 0 && m_recordingStream->GetSize() > 0)
retval = 0;

I experienced your case, sometimes seeking beyond the end cause to back few minutes.
It is not clear what value the pvr-api needs for those border cases.
Also is it repeatable if you seek beyond the end again ?
Yes, this is repeatable any time I try to seek beyond the "end" of the recording, in every case the "end" is the "end" when playback started, but is not the current "end" because the recording is still ongoing. What is really odd is the the large skip (+1min in my case) continues to work fine, but any time I do a small skip (+10sec in my case), it goes back to the "end" of the recording when playback started.
This is reproducible for me as well. It would be nice if the length of the recording in progress updated dynamically in Kodi as well.

Seeking when past the length if recording at the start of play causes it to seek back to the "end" time at the start of play. I will get a log tomorrow.

I'm running Kodi 18 beta 3 with kodi-pvr-mythtv 5.8.7-2 from the unstable ppa.

Seeking past the end of a recording in progress causes it to exit playback as well with the version. It should catch up to live and play from there.
Workflow for reproduction:

1. Schedule a recording using Mythweb.
2. Wait for the recording to start.
3. Attempt to play it in Kodi while it is recording. It shows up in the "Recent Recordings" list.

This recording only show the current length when it is initially played from Kodi. Attempting to skip forward when past the end of this length causes it to skip to the "end" time at the start of play. Kodi doesn't seem to recognize that the recording is currently in progress and should treat it as timeshifted Live TV.

However, if I start playback of live TV from Kodi and set a recording, this works as expected. Kodi shows the full length of the expected show, not just the part currently recorded. Attempting to skip past the end brings it to the current live TV. Skipping back shows "timeshifted" and gives the time behind current live.
The mythtv pvr client add-on maintainer needs to fix/adapt GetStreamTimes API function implementation. Then, this should work ootb, as it does for tvheadend and other backend.
Its been an issue on github for over 2 years:
https://github.com/janbar/pvr.mythtv/issues/30
It seems that kodi devs say it is an add-on issue and pvr.mythtv devs say it is a kodi issue. I commented on this issue recently because I experience the same thing. However, I am not sure if the skipping is a new symptom because the issue on github is primarily regarding the reported recording length and I would have expected more comments about the skipping issue by now if it had been present all along, too.
(2018-10-17, 02:35)knappster Wrote: Its been an issue on github for over 2 years:
https://github.com/janbar/pvr.mythtv/issues/30
It seems that kodi devs say it is an add-on issue and pvr.mythtv devs say it is a kodi issue. I commented on this issue recently because I experience the same thing. However, I am not sure if the skipping is a new symptom because the issue on github is primarily regarding the reported recording length and I would have expected more comments about the skipping issue by now if it had been present all along, too.

No matter what the history of this issue is (why can't you guys just refrain from making polarizing statements, esp. if you do not have any real clue, btw?):

For Kodi Leia the Kodi devs made changes to address this problem, but as I stated yesterday the add-on devs must also do their homework to make it work.
I have every confidence then that pvr.mythtv will have the correct code adjustments before Leia is final.
Sorry @ksooo it was not my intention to be divisive. I was recently looking for answers to this same question and I was attempting to summarize my findings. I hadn't realized that you were a developer and had more information than what had previously been posted. I appreciate your efforts.
After few months searching the cause of this issue with Leia, I fixed it by the version 5.8.10.
The root cause is api change around timshifting was not clear for me. Now I can tell you all becomes right for Leia.
Terrific! @janbar, thanks! Ive installed 5.8.10 on my 18beta3 system and this is working perfectly now.
I installed 5.8.10 on my kodi 18 beta4 system and there appears to be a regression with the controls like skip forward/backward missing when watching a finished recording. The recording length is also missing, so it only shows the current playback position.

Edit: never mind on the mismatching episode text in the recordings list. Looks like that is related to smart redraw.

Edit2: this only seems to be the case with longer shows. 30 min shows work fine, 60 min shows don’t.
(2018-10-24, 02:43)zaphod24 Wrote: I installed 5.8.10 on my kodi 18 beta4 system and there appears to be a regression with the controls like skip forward/backward missing when watching a finished recording. The recording length is also missing, so it only shows the current playback position.

Edit: never mind on the mismatching episode text in the recordings list. Looks like that is related to smart redraw.

Edit2: this only seems to be the case with longer shows. 30 min shows work fine, 60 min shows don’t.

I don't see this problem with 5.8.10 on Ubuntu 18.04. It's working fine. I rebuilt 5.8.10 against beta 4 myself. Where did you install 5.8.10 from?
I used git to download from github and build/compile myself.

I’d be glad to install a precompiled version for arm and kodi18 if one exists. Going back to 5.8.7.3 provided with CoreELEC 8.95.3 works as expected with finished recordings, but of course has issues with recordings still in process.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 beta3 issue seeking while still recording0