Shield: could a not excellent HDMI cable create problems with the remote control
Or open Kodi quicker.
(2018-11-28, 10:04)Hitcher Wrote: Or open Kodi quicker.
 What do you mean?
(2018-11-28, 10:54)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
 What do you mean?   

I think Hitcher means that your HDMI cable should have no means of changing the speed at which Kodi opens, just as it should have no way of changing the colours of your video (I think he was referring to my previous post)

Kodi obviously takes longer to open when you start the app - and get the Leia splash screen.  Once the app is running on the Shield TV it should taker roughly the same amount of time to access it - assuming you've left the app in a menu and not playing video. 

The first time you start the app after you've rebooted (or manually exit-ed the app I think) it will take longer to start than when you enter it after it has started running (which is common for most Android apps)
There is something wrong. I alwasy turn off Kodi. It is not in my style to leave it opened. Even if I turn on my TV the follow day, when I clik on Kodi icon, it need around one second to open. I think it is a problem because in past time it needed around 4-5 seconds.
(2018-11-21, 11:39)sectune Wrote:
(2018-11-20, 14:42)FoxADRIANO Wrote: NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Do you know if there is a better player than Shield even if it is more expensive? I will watch ONLY my 4K videos in a HDD.

EDIT 2: This night I tried to watch the same video I watched in the afternoon but this time I saw a very overexposed video. The video was very bad. I hope someone can tell me if this problem is of my old HDMI cable.
Hey, I would suggest you to try using Dune players. Kodi is not for everyone, tastes and needs are different for all of us. Dune has a very good reputation and also dedicated support teams available. Dune has no affiliation with Kodi nor the Kodi team whatsoever and runs their own software. tldr: nothing in common with Kodi, no support here in forums. Some bigger and/or specialized shops in your area might have some Dune players in their sortiment for you to try them out before buying. 
 I would recommend you trying more specialized players/hardware for your needs. It seems you have only the need for playing back your videos in 4k with "best possible" quality without any further frills. See my reply quoted above. I am not an employee of Dune nor in any way related to them. Kodi and the flexibility it brings may not be suitable for everyone's needs.
(2018-11-28, 11:06)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-28, 10:54)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
 What do you mean?    

I think Hitcher means that your HDMI cable should have no means of changing the speed at which Kodi opens, just as it should have no way of changing the colours of your video (I think he was referring to my previous post)

Kodi obviously takes longer to open when you start the app - and get the Leia splash screen.  Once the app is running on the Shield TV it should taker roughly the same amount of time to access it - assuming you've left the app in a menu and not playing video. 

The first time you start the app after you've rebooted (or manually exit-ed the app I think) it will take longer to start than when you enter it after it has started running (which is common for most Android apps) 
Ehy! I'd like to ask you a question please. Some days ago you sugegsted me to choose RGB in Shield settings. I know my Lumix GH5 shoots in YUV (if I'm not mistaken). Running in RGB colours are being converted to another color space. Why did you not suggested YUV420 50hz? If I choose YUV420 50hz the colors should be left untouched. I'd like to understand better. Thanks.
This is the last post, I don't like to take advantage of your kind availability.
Today I watch a video and Kodi gave very strong colors. I watched a very bad video. Then I watched it with MX Player Pro and it was perfect.
Tomorrow I will make the last test. If it is will not good I will get rid of the Shield
I will install again kodi-18.0-Leia_rc1-arm64-v8a and I will make the test. I can assure Kodi is configured perfectly.
I will let you to know my test.
You really should ditch the Shield. You'll never be happy.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2018-11-28, 18:07)FoxADRIANO Wrote:
(2018-11-28, 11:06)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-28, 10:54)FoxADRIANO Wrote:  What do you mean?    

Ehy! I'd like to ask you a question please. Some days ago you sugegsted me to choose RGB in Shield settings. I know my Lumix GH5 shoots in YUV (if I'm not mistaken). Running in RGB colours are being converted to another color space. Why did you not suggested YUV420 50hz? If I choose YUV420 50hz the colors should be left untouched. I'd like to understand better. Thanks. 

Your TV will display is in RGB - the coloured pixels on your TV screen are red, green and blue, so something has to convert between YCbCr (aka YUV) (your camera output and file format) and RGB (your display format) - either your Shield TV does, or your TV does.  All you are shifting is what device in the chain does that conversion.  (On many Kodi platforms all video is decoded from YCbCr to RGB internally, so outputting in YCbCr just adds another conversion - but on the Shield TV Kodi+Android may well run YCbCr natively so this may be a moot point)

If you run your Shield in 4:2:0 YCbCr output - then your User Interface will have half-resolution chroma (3840x2160 Y, 1920x1080 Cb and Cr)
If you run your Shield in 4:4:4 output (either RGB or 4:4:4 YCbCr) then you get full 3840x2160 Cb and Cr or RGB colour for the user interface.  

Neither should have a huge effect on your video quality - but feel free to run in YCbCr Rec 709 if you prefer and can see any difference.
(2018-11-28, 14:36)FoxADRIANO Wrote: There is something wrong. I alwasy turn off Kodi. It is not in my style to leave it opened. Even if I turn on my TV the follow day, when I clik on Kodi icon, it need around one second to open. I think it is a problem because in past time it needed around 4-5 seconds.

How do you turn off Kodi? Do you go to the Power Menu and select 'Exit' every time you leave it, or do you just press the Shield TV home button (O) to get back to the home screen? That won't shut down Kodi.

Your TV being turned on or off will have no real impact on the Shield TV. 

(Android may also do something to keep recently closed applications faster to re-open - I don't know).
Ok, if I understand well I will try with YUV 444 8 bit Rec. 709. On the pic I attach it is the last line. Today I will do some tests.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwm9lfgje49met...s.jpg?dl=0
I turn Kodi on the Menu and I select "Exit" every time I leave it. I think I turn off Kodi correctly.
I have just decided to send back the Shield. I can't ruin my health with it. I write what problems it gave me today. I wanted to turn on Shield but I saw a black screen on TV without signal.
Then I tried again and I saw there was Kodi opened. Why? Yet I closed it well.
Look at the pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksqtr9edeyyzu0...1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k174ew7regozqe...2.jpg?dl=0
I always close Kodi in this way.
When I saw Kodi opened I cosed it and opened it again and I watched my video. Colours were very strong not like the originals.
I will send back Shield and I don't want to hear about Shield for a few days. Shield made me nervous like no other device.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shield: could a not excellent HDMI cable create problems with the remote control2