Creation of playlist on headless Kodi
Hi,
I have Kodi 17.6 installed on Raspbian.  It is headless and controlled via Sybu Kodi ios app
I have a question concerning playlists.  Is there anyway to create and save a plalylist this way?
Also i wonder how to get it to play a complete folder from sources.
When i attach the system to a monitor and create a playlist on the KODI screen everything works fine.  However the playlist created via web interface is available only if web interface used.
Is this a normal behaviour?
thank you
Andy
I don't control mine in the same way as I just use a remote control but its still headless and I'd really like a way to be able to have a song that's currently playing added to a playlist at the push of a button.
I use same app on my headless kodi/LibreELEC + HiFiBerry DAC (RCA) to Yamaha receiver.

Save them to Favorites.

Unless you need Raspbian why not use LibreELEC?
Thanks for the inputs.
I have this raspbian/kodi setup because i am still "testing" it.
So i am trying to be more precise concerning my question.
I use Kodi without monitor and control it via ios app like Sybu where i can access my favourites and playlist.  However these favourites/playlist were created when i attached a monitor.  So this part works as expected.  Then i wanted to add stuff to favourites/playlist so i tried to access Kodi via webinterface chorus2.  I realized however that 
1. playlist can be added only locally for this interface stored in my browser
2. favourites can not be access regardless what url i tried in adding favourites through main menu settings.
Did i miss something or at the moment favourites/playlist can only be added/edited if a monitor connected and webinterface access does not allow it yet?
Andy
Why would you try to use a broom to hammer a nail? Kodi if not designed for headless use. That's are much better solutions for this use case on raspi such as MPD on raspbian or Volumio or similar.
For someone, like me, who uses Kodi 95% of the time headless, but sometimes turn on the monitor, this isn't a useful suggestion, ActionA… …especially here, in the Kodi forum.

Moreover, the question, how to mange Kodi playlists remotely, is independent from the (headless) setup and a valid one.
Currently, I just send m3u playlist to Kodi, but that isn't a flexible approach. If a better solution exists, it would be nice to read.
(2019-01-07, 21:36)YggdrasiI Wrote: this isn't a useful suggestion

Maybe it isn't a useful suggestion for you, but OP's question was specifically about a headless setup.  So I'd say that I was very much on topic here.

Even from https://kodi.tv/about
Quote:Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub that can be installed on Linux, OSX, Windows, iOS and Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls.
The system, by Kodi's own description, is designed and purpose build for use with a display.

(2019-01-07, 21:36)YggdrasiI Wrote: If a better solution exists, it would be nice to read.

I provided 2 such solutions in my previous post.  I'm not sure why you haven't addressed them if that is what you seek.
(2019-01-06, 14:52)ActionA Wrote: Why would you try to use a broom to hammer a nail? Kodi if not designed for headless use. That's are much better solutions for this use case on raspi such as MPD on raspbian or Volumio or similar.
 Who are you to say how others use them? Not designed for headless useHuh?... We're not using Raspberry's for what they were originally designed for!.....  I for one applaud anyone testing and finding what best fits their needs/likes.

(I have other headless RPi that have nothing to do with Kodi, music, or TV) 

My headless Kodi has only 2 functions (Host name: Yamaha). 1 Primarily FiOS "Music Choice Channels" 24/7 via HDHR Prime (Rented M cards) controlled from Sybu app on my phone (Use same app to occasionally control the other 9 mix of Kodi's) 2 Play music from WebDAV/Playlists, Airplay from phone.
I'm nobody. I'm also not here asking the developers of a project how to resolve an issue when using their software for a use-case it was explicitly not designed for; a use-case that actually has numerous solutions available. Just because you have found a niche that works for you, that doesn't mean everyone will find it as useful. Sometimes, just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

I'm just the guy that showed up to offer suggestions of more purpose built solutions. But thanks for showing up and entertaining me with your feigned outrage at my suggestions and quotes from the developers themselves.
(2019-01-08, 04:49)ActionA Wrote: I'm nobody. I'm also not here asking the developers of a project how to resolve an issue when using their software for a use-case it was explicitly not designed for; a use-case that actually has numerous solutions available. Just because you have found a niche that works for you, that doesn't mean everyone will find it as useful. Sometimes, just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

I'm just the guy that showed up to offer suggestions of more purpose built solutions. But thanks for showing up and entertaining me with your feigned outrage at my suggestions and quotes from the developers themselves.
I am nobody too!....I like being nobody. I do like letting people find their own conclusion. Sometimes, some need questions more than answers. Not outrage, approach. 

I am also not the sharpest pencil, had to Google Feigned (Special Education 6th-10th grade).  I disagree with your assessment ....

Seconded set of eyes (For developers) is must (Just my opinion) forces thought, innovation.
Anyone is free to use Kodi exactly as they wish too - that's one of the fundamental principles for the whole ethos of the project.

That said the original design is for a media player displaying media onto a large (TV) screen using a "10 foot interface" as described in the about link above. Hence whilst other usages are perfectly possible, the software in many cases isn't optimised for it. Headless usage is one such application, indeed as is more general "server" style usage. There has been some work ongoing on that topic (a more "Plex-like" model, for details see the dev area of this forum) but it isn't where the main focus is and probably never will be.

The point made that whilst Kodi can be used for such tasks, there may be other applications which are better suited is a valid one though and we're perfectly happy with that. Even as a team member I'm happy to admit having devices at home which run Plex (server and client) and also Volumio as an internet radio. I could use Kodi for both tasks, but those other apps fit the requirements better so get used.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Hi,
I use Kodi (on a RPi 4, with LibreELEC) in the evening for watching avi-movies or using legal video addons. In the daytime, I use RuneAudio* (on a RPi3).

Funny enough, although RuneAudio is made for audio, it's worse in AirPlay. Once I use AirPlay, I can't switch back to my own connected harddisk. With Kodi, that works perfect, switching form AirPlay to local files or addons. That's one reason to use Kodi headless.
The other is: I have my movies and music on one harddisk. So if I don't want to change my disk each day and evening, it is easier if I can use one application for both functions.
Third one is: I have my stereo connected with a HifiBerry. I don't want to switch the HifiBerry or stereo cables each time I need a different function.

And Kodi runs perfectly headless. Except for the problem mentioned by the OP. I tried all web-UI's and only Chorus/2 is useable enough. But playlists are alas only stored on the computer where you use the browser.
And another problem: I have to start with the monitor on, because otherwise somehow AirPlay doesn't work. Devices see the AirPlay-point, but you can't hear anything and the connection is disconnected after a while.

Just adding my experiences.

(Also tried Volumio, MoOde, Pi MusicBox)
Was there any update on this?

I have recently installed LibreElec 11.0.3 on a Pi 3B / Kodi 20.2 Nexus

I am wanting to use it as a DLNA server on my LAN so want to operate it just using the Kodi browser interface but have found the missing Add Sources/Playlist management etc. preventing this. I have to plug in a monitor to the Pi3B if I want to use this functionality.

Since it seems like it has the functionality, am I just using it incorrectly or have misconfigured a setting or it just doesn't provide that functionality via the browser (this would seem like pretty reasonable basic functionality IMHO)?

Cheers
Andy

Interface on the Pi3B via the monitor

Interface on the Pi3B via the browserImage

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Creation of playlist on headless Kodi0