Kodi crashes when choosing art.
I recently upgraded to Kodi 18 and now for some movies when I press choose art and Poster (it also happens for Fanart but is rarer), Kodi crashes. Some movies are fine and don't give me problems, but I've noticed what all the movies that give me trouble have in common is that they have the "Embedded art" option listed when you press Poster. You can see "Embedded art" for a split second right before it crashes to desktop. The movies that work fine show something like:
Current art
Remote art
Remote art
etc.
But the movies Kodi crashes on look like:
Current art
Embedded art
Remote art
Remote art
etc.
Here is my crash log https://pastebin.com/12zgkQPS
I never had this problem in any Kodi versions that came before.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Hello @Skari7

I haven't looked at the log yet as I am hoping it is an easy fix. Can you go to Settings>Media Settings>Videos and disable the option Use video tags

Does it still crash?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
It was already disabled. Having it disabled or enabled still causes a crash.
Remove the embedded art using MKVToolNix.  Then you can choose new artwork from KODI.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-02-02, 16:25)brazen1 Wrote: Remove the embedded art using MKVToolNix.  Then you can choose new artwork from KODI.
 Thanks.

This method works for me but it is very time consuming. Still it's better than nothing.

I have some weird problem with kodi where I get compression artifacts on the posters and fanart that happens over time, although this is a seperate issue. Because of that I'm looking to change to posters on some 2000 movies that have gotten corrupted over time. It's hard to do when approximately one out of every ten movies crashes the program and you have to run it through MKVToolNix.
My install of Kodi 18 is doing the same (crashing when attempting to change some movie's artwork).  Did you find another fix other than MKVToolNix?  If not, could you post how you used MKVToolNix to remove the "bad" art?
(2019-02-16, 20:24)rshanti Wrote: My install of Kodi 18 is doing the same (crashing when attempting to change some movie's artwork).  Did you find another fix other than MKVToolNix?  If not, could you post how you used MKVToolNix to remove the "bad" art?

BTW - This crash occurs on both my Windows 10 and Android (Shield) installs of Kodi.  So I believe it's Kodi related, not the system on which it is installed.
Yes it seems that embedded art is an issue of the moment.

@" Skari7 "some weird problem with kodi where I get compression artifacts on the posters and fanart that happens over time" If you look at the art with a jpeg viewer like 'IrfanView' are you still seeing artifacts? Just wondering if the art itself has embedded problems, or is just the display routines? I would note that the thumbnails are always being written in and out of cache and in the event of a Kodi crash, sometimes art can get corrupted. The easiest solution is to open up Userdata (wiki) thumbnails with your system file explorer and delete images that are corrupt (half images, with green or grey are corrupt). Check 2.4 Library artwork advancedsettings.xml (wiki) to set your images that should be resized to in pixels and the algorithm that will be used.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes when choosing art.0