A bug with colorspace that is driving me crazy.
Hello,
I'm having hard times getting the correct picture for movies for some time now.
I'm using mpc-hc for reference - it has perfect picture.
I would really appreciate any kodi expert's help.
Background:
I'm using my pc with a monitor daily, and when I want to watch a movie, I extend to the TV and open the kodi on my TV (with blank other display turned on).
My TV is 16-235, so I use the correct setup: nvidia full RGB and kodi 16-235.

The problem:
I've found out you can get many pictures with this exact setup by messing out within kodi. whatever picture you managed to get, kodi remembers it and it will stick to it every time you open kodi, until something messes it up after a long while (not sure what).
I've managed to get 3 pictures:
1. too dim picture - usually if I just toggle the "use 16-235" few times.
2. too washed out image - by changing in nvidia to limited, going to kodi change to "full" and then changing in nvidia to full again, and change to 16-235 in kodi.
3. too saturated image - after getting image number 2, change to screen one, toggle the 16-235 once and then go back to screen 2 (the TV)

all 3 pictures shows correct black shadows in the apl test from avs hd, but I can't seem to get to the correct image (like mpc-hc which is perfect - not too yellowish, not too saturated, not too dim).

Is there a way to get kodi to default but with 16-235 option turned on?
Video levels and color space (wiki) and this thread might help https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=297218

As a consolation you could always use mpc-hc as an external player, but I've never found it perfect.
Is there not a setting on the TV to change to full range?  Sometimes on older TV's you may have to use the PC input (if your TV has that)

I've always worked to full/full/full range which I've used without problems
Thanks for this, i was facing same problem.
(2019-05-25, 21:41)PatK Wrote: Video levels and color space (wiki) and this thread might help https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=297218

As a consolation you could always use mpc-hc as an external player, but I've never found it perfect.

That "Video levels and color space" wiki just tells you which combinations you should use to get correct colors. The problem is you can get 3 different output colors with the same combination, probably because of some bug.
That thread you linked is an old thread which is about difference between GUI and video colors when you output 16-235 within kodi.  that is not the problem, for some years now kodi displays both GUI and video according to what you chose - 16-235 or 0-255.
As for mpc-hc as external player - it seems like a mess, and I'm not sure if that bug is not extended to even external players..
Thanks for trying to help.
(2019-05-26, 15:13)jools5000 Wrote: Is there not a setting on the TV to change to full range?  Sometimes on older TV's you may have to use the PC input (if your TV has that)

I've always worked to full/full/full range which I've used without problems
It's an old (2009 - Philips 9664) TV, it only has limited color range, even with PC MODE..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A bug with colorspace that is driving me crazy.0