• 1(current)
XBMP has better video quality than XBMC?
Sad 
so here goes my first post in this forum...

when playing the same divx on xbmp and xbmc i have the problem that the video quality on xbmc isn't as good as under xbmp. there are artefakts and blocks in the picture (like an bad decoded dvd)

has someone watched the same effects?

i use the newest xbmp 2.4 from august? and xbmx from 10.3.04.

the reason why i dont want to use xbmp any more: i think xbmc is the clearly better designed program (e.g. weather funktion :-) ) and i still cant get rid of the audio sync problem under xbmp...

please help! what can i do to increase picrure quality and make it as good as the newest xbmp 2.4?
you turned off post processing in settings>screen>filters ?
atm mplayer's post processing makes the video worse, so make sure you have that off.

morien
morien you are the man !

i had post processing filter turned on (because it sometimes gives better streaming for some tv channels) and i was wondering why the hell i was having those artefacts back on many dark parts of my divx.

read your post, turned off postprocessing and miracle all artefacts are gone !!

now this might become 'feature suggestion' but could we imagine to have different settings automatically loaded for tv streaming and for video as follow:
- tv streaming post processing on + sound output set to analog
- video : post processing off + sound output to digital

thxs dude
wow it really helped! seemes i didn't try all the features.

but i still have the impression that the main videoquality (resolution) is better on xbmp. it appears that the the divx has there more colors and has more depth.

is there maybe a wrong filter which i use?

what could be the problem here?

nethertheless the picture quality increased with your tips and now i like xbmc more than ever!

thanxx

deathduck
also try disabling the choose best res option. this may fix some of your problems.
the post processing is a bug in the mplayer code, which cannot be rectified by the xbmc team.
regarding default settings depending on the filetype. mmmm, don't hold your breath. history suggests that this feature would take a long time to get implemented if at all.
you can try tho.

oh, and i've been called "the man" so many times today alone. hah. it's funny helping people. :d

morien
sorry when i'm not very familiar with the formulation :

"disabling the choose best res option" could you please give me some details on that?

thanxx

deathduck
(deathduck @ mar. 11 2004,13:54 Wrote:but i still have the impression that the main videoquality is better on xbmp. it appears that the the divx has there more colors and has more depth.
same here.  Huh
same color depth problem here. not yet tested this with old xbmp but with xbmc cvs 04/14/2004 i get the worst picture since xbmc cvs 12/27/2003. it looks like 16bpp or lower.
it seems that it started with the yv12->yuy2 und rgb conversions. maybe it's possible to switch the conversions in menu. soon i will post some screenshots to show the color problem.

cu
it's not possible to switch the conversions in a menu. currently we do yv12->rgb in a single hardware pass, previously we did yv12->yuy2 in a software pass then yuy2->rgb in hardware.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

please post the screenshots.

it may just be that the colour settings (gamma etc.) need to be tweaked a little.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

ok. i tested the video with xbmp 2.4 too

worst result with xbmc cvs 04/14/2004 (much artefacts)
good result with xbmc cvs 12/27/2003 (less artefacts but noticable)
best result with xbmp 2.4 (nearly perfect like on pc monitor)

at the moment i could only made a screenshot with running linux. btw can i make a screenshot with xbmc?
but it shows the problem. in the background you see the artefacts on left side. in motion it's terrible. looks like the video has less colors.
next week i can make some more screenshots and post them.

you can take a screenshot using left thumbstick button with controller.  push it down.  it will create screenshots in xbmc/screenshots dir.

also, can you check your filter settings?  try with postprocessing off too.

ts

oops:  i just noticed that post-processing was covered already, but you did not reply whether your tried with it off.

oh ya, the screenshot is located here:

http://packleds.host.sk/color.jpg <-- copy and paste into a new browser window.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

postprocessing was disabled all the time. brightness, contrast gamma at standard 50/50/20
tested the video again with following settings:

pal/ntsc video mode
pal/pal60 video mode

-> same results

update:

made a screenshot with xbmc cvs 04/16/2004
http://packleds.host.sk/colorscreen.jpg
this is weird Sad

all xbmc versions i've tried since the beginning had worst video quality than xbmp but the other day i installed 04/20 cvs and without change a single option, voilá, i got video quality even better than xbmp. awesome i thought, but the next day, the video quality dropped to the standards i was used with xbmc Sad and it's weird because i didn't change any option.

anyway, i deleted all configs and xbmc dirs and reinstalled it but the good video quality never returned.

btw, i've tried all tips posted in this thread but none works.
make sure you're not using quincux or bicubic filtering also. they add a horrible banding effect, i think they might be bugged because older versions didn't seem to do this.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMP has better video quality than XBMC?0