3D ISO only side-by-side
Hi all,

I'm running the latest Kodi version on LibreElec and a raspberry pi. When I connect my beamer, I'd like to watch mkv 3d, but when I tell Kodi to use the same format as the movie, it shows side-by-side. My beamer supports 3d. Between Kodi and the beamer there's an AV receiver. I read the kodi wiki and also several threads regarding how to configure Kodi on ARM cpus displaying 3d, but it didn't work for me. 

A suspect from my point of view is the hdmi to micro hdmi adapter I use for the raspberry pi. I tried to find out if it supports 3d. It definitely supports full hd. Any idea, how I can check, if this adapter can be used with 3d or does any adapter support 3d, when it supports full hd?

Thanks and kind regards,

Karlo
Which model of Pi?
(2019-12-11, 15:29)popcornmix Wrote: Which model of Pi?

Hello,

thanks for your response. Sorry, I forgot to write: It's Raspberry Pi 4. I had a look into my HDMI to HDMI micro adapter description and they say, it's a high speed hdmi adapter.

Kind regards,

Karlo
One additional info: I have the following infrastructure

- Raspberry Pi 4 with Kodi
- Raspberry Pi is plugged into my Denon AVR
- In my Denon's output, there is my television (NOT supporting 3D) or my beamer (supporting 3D) attached, depending what I want to watch.

Is it possible, that Kodi "remembers" that my display device does not support 3D after the first start, which was using my television, and does not check every start what features the display device supports?

Before switching back to libre elec and Kodi I had this "special" 3D supporting Kodi fork for windows on my Intel NUC installed and with this setup I could display 3D. Nevertheless I didn't like the heavy windows always starting for Kodi and better like lightweight linux.
Pi4 kodi currently doesn't have the 3d capabilities of Pi3 (or the custom 3D build you were using on the NUC).
Upstream kodi doesn't care too much for 3d support as it's seen as a dying standard.

The interfaces used for 3D support on Pi3 (MMAL) are being replaced for the next major kodi version.
We'll have to see what the demand is like and if support can be added to the new interfaces (V4L2/DRM Prime).
(2019-12-13, 17:03)popcornmix Wrote: Pi4 kodi currently doesn't have the 3d capabilities of Pi3 (or the custom 3D build you were using on the NUC).
Upstream kodi doesn't care too much for 3d support as it's seen as a dying standard.

The interfaces used for 3D support on Pi3 (MMAL) are being replaced for the next major kodi version.
We'll have to see what the demand is like and if support can be added to the new interfaces (V4L2/DRM Prime).
Hmm, thanks. Do I get it right: If I would use a Raspberry Pi 3 instead, Kodi would still show the mkv/frame packaging 3D but the hardware from Raspberry Pi 4 is a bit different and so 3D doesn't work anymore?!

That's really bad news to me and probably also for some other people. Sad
yes, a PI2 and PI3 would still work as they still use the old MMAL pipeline. But since we move away from vendor specific hardware acceleration pipelines in favor of the V4l2 standard in Linux (see it like a DirectX/DirectShow thingy for Linux) and already ripped out a bunch of them, the focus on the PI4 (and RPI in general) development front is now to get a V4l2 driver in shape so that we can also finally drop MMAL in KODI.

The current PI4 builds are mostly experimental and are more a quick hack to get it working somehow until the proper implementation and official PI4 support is finished.

edit: and I'm sorry, but 3D in consumer land seems to be pretty dead now. A couple years ago almost every TV had 3D support in some form and now you can't really find new models with 3D support. So the industry gave up on it and moved on to the next hype (HDR and 8K)
(2019-12-14, 14:31)da-anda Wrote: yes, a PI2 and PI3 would still work as they still use the old MMAL pipeline. But since we move away from vendor specific hardware acceleration pipelines in favor of the V4l2 standard in Linux (see it like a DirectX/DirectShow thingy for Linux) and already ripped out a bunch of them, the focus on the PI4 (and RPI in general) development front is now to get a V4l2 driver in shape so that we can also finally drop MMAL in KODI.

The current PI4 builds are mostly experimental and are more a quick hack to get it working somehow until the proper implementation and official PI4 support is finished.

edit: and I'm sorry, but 3D in consumer land seems to be pretty dead now. A couple years ago almost every TV had 3D support in some form and now you can't really find new models with 3D support. So the industry gave up on it and moved on to the next hype (HDR and 8K)
Hello da-anda,

thanks for your response. These are really bad news. Perhaps for several people using projector instead of tv. I'm a cinema power visitor, but 3D movies are much better to watch at home with active shutter glasses, then in cinemas and I'm a big fan. So your feedback makes me really sad and I don't think it makes sense to me to move back to a raspberry pi 3 when this will only make 3D possible for a while. Sad Probably I have to search for a commercial solution that covers all my needs.

Nevertheless thanks a lot to all the developers and community, for a great Kodi! 

Kind regards,

Karlo
I never said that KODI will rip out the 3D support - it's just that the RPI4 (which is the first RPI to have a new GPU since the very first PI) still needs some time. Pi 1 up to 3b+ had years of development to get all the features in and optimized, just give the community more time to bring the RPI4 firmware and drivers also in good shape.
(2020-01-01, 19:31)da-anda Wrote: I never said that KODI will rip out the 3D support - it's just that the RPI4 (which is the first RPI to have a new GPU since the very first PI) still needs some time. Pi 1 up to 3b+ had years of development to get all the features in and optimized, just give the community more time to bring the RPI4 firmware and drivers also in good shape.
Sorry, then I misunderstood your post. Happy new year!
so, the good news are: I know now why all my SBS 3D movies are not watchable any more, and I do not have to search or experiment more.
the bad news: this thread is now over a year old, and still there seems not to be a solution available. :-(

does anybody know, is this issue still on any radar?
HOU movies are still working, but I would also like to be able to watch the SBS one.

Thanks. :-)

Best regards
[3D framepacked]
the only solution is: to buy another Box -> Vero4k+ if you will use KODI or something like Zidoo Z9X if you can stay with other software. (you have a wrapper for the Zidoo's but they works best without Kodi)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D ISO only side-by-side0