Planning to modify an already available addon licensing questions
Hi,

I need a rather niche way to start my server (WoL won't work) and am thinking of modifying an already existing addon (Advanced Wake on Lan to be exact) to my needs. The modifications won't be pretty (if you look at the code) because I know next to nothing about programming anymore and I will downright just delete stuff that doesn't work anymore (if I don't have to fix it for core functionality) or just disable it by default. It's GNU-Licensed, so I think I can do this and even share it with others here, but I want to make sure. If someone with some skills finds it useful enough they might even make it work in all it's glory again.
Especially because I am quite sure I will need all the help I can get to fix it up for Python 3.

I have already contacted the original author about it, but only just noticed that he hasn't been on here for over a year, so not a good sign.

Greetings
-Sio-
(2019-12-12, 17:35)Sionzris Wrote: Hi,

I need a rather niche way to start my server (WoL won't work) and am thinking of modifying an already existing addon (Advanced Wake on Lan to be exact) to my needs. The modifications won't be pretty (if you look at the code) because I know next to nothing about programming anymore and I will downright just delete stuff that doesn't work anymore (if I don't have to fix it for core functionality) or just disable it by default. It's GNU-Licensed, so I think I can do this and even share it with others here, but I want to make sure. If someone with some skills finds it useful enough they might even make it work in all it's glory again.
Especially because I am quite sure I will need all the help I can get to fix it up for Python 3.

I have already contacted the original author about it, but only just noticed that he hasn't been on here for over a year, so not a good sign.

Greetings
-Sio-
Sounds like you've covered all your bases...

Checked Licence ✓
Reach out to the Orginal developer ✓

Your last step is to "fork" the code from its origin GitHub page (Not Clone). This way if at anytime the original developer wants to continue his work he can browse the changes you've made and perhaps the both of you can work towards a common goal.

After that you are free to share... Good luck  Big Grin

BTW The original License information has to remain the same, and the original author should be credited for his work.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2019-12-12, 17:47)Lunatixz Wrote:

Greetings
-Sio-

Checked Licence ✓

Your last step is to "fork" the code from its origin GitHub page (Not Clone). This way if at anytime the original developer wants to continue his work he can browse the changes you've made and perhaps the both of you can work towards a common goal.

BTW The original License information has to remain the same, and the original author should be credited for his work.  
I planned to put him into the disclaimer that he himself used. While I'm on here... first problem seems to be to execute an addon before the MySQL is being loaded not afterwards. Any tipps on that? Just running any kind of python script would be fine (as a hack).

Oh and I didn't find the GitHub when googling for it. All I found was this: https://kodi.tv/addon/scripts/advanced-wake-lan
(2019-12-12, 18:05)Sionzris Wrote:
(2019-12-12, 17:47)Lunatixz Wrote:

Greetings
-Sio-

Checked Licence ✓

I planned to put him into the disclaimer that he himself used. While I'm on here... first problem seems to be to execute an addon before the MySQL is being loaded not afterwards. Any tipps on that? Just running any kind of python script would be fine (as a hack).

Oh and I didn't find the GitHub when googling for it. All I found was this: https://kodi.tv/addon/scripts/advanced-wake-lan  

https://github.com/mandark/xbmc-script.advanced.wol
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=121142
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Planning to modify an already available addon licensing questions0