OS X 18.8 constantly dropping radio streams and crashing - have I got it set up wrongly?
There are various internet radio stations that I listen to using Kodi - directly from .strm files (which I add by going to music>files>add music)

I use those direct links because the radio stations don't necessarily exist on any radio player add-ons. I have them saved in Kodi as 'Favourites'.

Kodi frequently drops these streams (meaning I have to restart them manually by going back to my favourites list). And it often seems to crash Kodi altogether.

Am I trying to do something that is just never going to work reliably or is there anything I can try to fix this?

I was already having this problem with 18.6, which I was using previously, and it seems to be worse in 18.8.

I've put the most recent crash report here, in case it's of any use.

https://paste.kodi.tv/rulukonoge.kodi

Thanks in advance for any help.
Do you by any chance have a Debug Log from Kodi when it drops a stream.  FWIW, I have several radio streams (I added mine to the favourites menu and renamed it to 'internet radio') and they play all day, every day.  The only issues I have are generally caused by the 'sending end' rather than Kodi.  Still, a debug log might show if it's an internet related issue (connection etc) or something internal to Kodi.

I don't do OSX but your crashlog appears to be caused by Kodi attempting to open two concurrent busy dialogs.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-08-18, 13:03)black_eagle Wrote: Do you by any chance have a Debug Log from Kodi when it drops a stream.  FWIW, I have several radio streams (I added mine to the favourites menu and renamed it to 'internet radio') and they play all day, every day.  The only issues I have are generally caused by the 'sending end' rather than Kodi.  Still, a debug log might show if it's an internet related issue (connection etc) or something internal to Kodi.

I don't do OSX but your crashlog appears to be caused by Kodi attempting to open two concurrent busy dialogs.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll post a debug log here next time it does it.
Ok, so I had an instance of the stream dropping which I think is captured in this log around 16.05:

https://paste.kodi.tv/okigolican.kodi

On this occasion Kodi did not crash, I quit it in order to find the log.
Yeah, it's not an actual debug log (wiki) just the standard log that Kodi writes but fortunately there is enough info in there to confirm that the radio station apparently stopped sending data.  I'll give it a try here with the same station and see if it drops for me.

In spite of the drops though, Kodi shouldn't crash because of them.
Thank you. It's not just that station it drops though... it seems liable to drop any station I listen to.

I can try and post a proper debug log next time.
Did you try adding your station to the Radio.de addon? I use that addon every day & it's perfect.
(2020-08-18, 19:12)FXB78 Wrote: Did you try adding your station to the Radio.de addon? I use that addon every day & it's perfect.

No... I do use the radio.de addon for some things; I didn't know that I was able to add stations to it - I should check that out.
Looking in your log, the stream from intergalatic FM dropped for you after about 8 minutes.  I'm currently streaming it here so I'll see if it drops for me.

~~~ EDIT ~~~

Streamed it for an hour with absolutely no issues.  Can you describe how you are connecting to the internet?  EG wifi, cable etc
(2020-08-18, 20:49)black_eagle Wrote: Looking in your log, the stream from intergalatic FM dropped for you after about 8 minutes.  I'm currently streaming it here so I'll see if it drops for me.

~~~ EDIT ~~~

Streamed it for an hour with absolutely no issues.  Can you describe how you are connecting to the internet?  EG wifi, cable etc

Kodi runs on a mac mini, and this is connected by ethernet cable to an Airport Extreme which works as a router. The Airport Extreme is then connected to a Virgin Media which works as a modem, connected to broadband cable (ie fibre optic)
Would it be helpful for me to provide a proper debug log, by the way?
(2020-08-18, 19:12)FXB78 Wrote: Did you try adding your station to the Radio.de addon? I use that addon every day & it's perfect.

Coming back to this ... I've just checked the sources for my various radio stations that I have saved as "Favourites" in Kodi, and most of them are actually via the Radio.de addon.

When I have troubles with the stream dropping, this seems to happen with all types, including the ones that are via the radio.de addon.
(2020-08-18, 22:33)lineweight Wrote: Would it be helpful for me to provide a proper debug log, by the way?

More than likely, yes.  There is a lot more information in a proper debug log compared to the normal one.
(2020-08-18, 22:32)lineweight Wrote: Kodi runs on a mac mini, and this is connected by ethernet cable to an Airport Extreme which works as a router. The Airport Extreme is then connected to a Virgin Media which works as a modem, connected to broadband cable (ie fibre optic)

Sounds OK, but given the info in your original log, I'm inclined to suspect an internet issue at this point.  Still, lets see what the full debug log throws up.
Here it is dropping a stream at (I think) around 10.29

This is a proper debug log I believe.

https://paste.kodi.tv/buzupucize.kodi

edit - another one, occurs at around 11.49. This time I restarted the stream before quitting Kodi.

https://paste.kodi.tv/upisitecik.kodi
Here is another one that I think should contain a couple of instances of a stream being dropped - but this one ends with a crash of Kodi (when I was trying to re-start a stream by choosing it from my favourites).

https://paste.kodi.tv/zokarukopa.kodi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
18.8 constantly dropping radio streams and crashing - have I got it set up wrongly?0