Req Ability to manage TV shows on disc and on server
Right now, if I put the .disc files in one location and .mkv files in another, Kodi's "smarts" (allowing seasons/shows to span multiple locations), aggregates them into a single collection. So when I look at a TV Show season I see two of every episode. Strictly speaking this happens with movies too but the tag shows a dvd or other identifying icon that makes it easy to distinguish one from the other.

I'd like to be able to manage all of my collection, not just what is online, and be able to keep my offline TV shows separate from those on the server.
@Yanta

Still tweaking Kodi I see.

Kodi is designed to aggregate all the episodes belonging to one show into one show. You can force the opposite, but it means a bit of fiddling.

See here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2899429
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-01-05, 04:05)Karellen Wrote: @Yanta

Still tweaking Kodi I see.

No, not really. Every now and then I get fed up with something and post. I barely touch it these days. It crashes too much, but it is the only library I have, which is all I use it for.

For a while I gave up and just used excel. But that got so big it would crash when trying to load the spreadsheet. I even tried tmm. That has it's own problems (Eg with items you don't want scanned). Then they went to a subscription model anyway.

I've had a never ending nightmare with getting stuff into Kodi. In the end I set up a separate PC (again), that I can use to create a new library from scratch and then copy that to my main PC every time something goes belly up.

There is a long list of things that just don't work for me. I've just given up trying to fix them and just set the spare PC to it's day long task of recreating the library from scratch every other week.

But the TV shows is one that has irked me since I started looking at Kodi. Or rather the ability to manage all media, not just whats on the server, independently of each other.

I guess I'm going to just have to set up another library for all my optical media. It would have been nice to have everything in one place.

I still use optical extensively and don't see myself ever using streaming, or only stuff on my server. I may have 120TB of storage but I still have to delete content regularly to make space for new stuff.

Here in Australia we get 12% of the US library on Netflix, with many shows years behind at very high prices, and I can't use it on my PC because I'm permanently connected to VPN. So I buy optical media regularly. To get a total of about 50% of the available content I'd be spending A$300+ per month.

After a quick read of the post you linked to I guess I would be seeing "Big Bang Theory " and "Big Bang Theory Offline" in the library. Multiply that by 280 TV series.

Did find a couple of things on that post amusing. My export takes 45 minutes on 10Gig network. I have over 30,000 items. Recreating the library from scratch takes 8 hours. IF my PC goes to sleep after the export (I'm not going to sit here watching it for 45 minutes), then Kodi will crash.
(2021-01-05, 04:26)Yanta Wrote: It crashes too much, but it is the only library I have, which is all I use it for.

For a while I gave up and just used excel. But that got so big it would crash when trying to load the spreadsheet.
It sounds like maybe there are other issues at play, and not just Kodi.

My main Kodi has been running 24/7 since v18 was released 2 years ago. I have never lost a library. When it does crash, which is pretty rare, it is due to the older hardware and trying to play HEVC videos that my older cpu does not handle very well. I run Win10 with an i5-4440 cpu from 2014. It is also my PVR server, Calibre Server and Foobar2000 server.

So I find it difficult to understand how and why Kodi can be causing all these crashes on your Windows system. Don't remember if you ever provided a Debug Log which captures all these crashes, but feel free to post one.

As for my media content, I have modified my Kodi, and quite a large portion of the library entries, extensively and have no issues with it. But I tend to go the other way and combine my tv shows, rather than separating them.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-01-05, 04:38)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-01-05, 04:26)Yanta Wrote: It crashes too much, but it is the only library I have, which is all I use it for.

For a while I gave up and just used excel. But that got so big it would crash when trying to load the spreadsheet.
It sounds like maybe there are other issues at play, and not just Kodi.

My main Kodi has been running 24/7 since v18 was released 2 years ago. I have never lost a library. When it does crash, which is pretty rare, it is due to the older hardware and trying to play HEVC videos that my older cpu does not handle very well. I run Win10 with an i5-4440 cpu from 2014. It is also my PVR server, Calibre Server and Foobar2000 server.

So I find it difficult to understand how and why Kodi can be causing all these crashes on your Windows system. Don't remember if you ever provided a Debug Log which captures all these crashes, but feel free to post one.

As for my media content, I have modified my Kodi, and quite a large portion of the library entries, extensively and have no issues with it. But I tend to go the other way and combine my tv shows, rather than separating them.

I power down every night. Electricity here is mega expensive, especially for people on a pension.

One example; My PC is set to go to sleep after 30 minutes. So Lets say I do an export and go do something else. I come back two hours later. Wake PC and there is a crash dialog on the screen (What looks like a Windows error). Click OK and Kodi drops to the desktop. Happens every time.

PC is I9-10940X running at 4.1ghz, 32GB DDR4-3733 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti with DB on a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus. Network is 10G. Content is split across 10 x 12TB NAS drives on a Windows 2012 R2 server. It's OS is also on a 970 Evo Plus SSD. My OS Windows 10 2019 LTSC. Running Kodi v18.9 IIRC.

But like I said, I've pretty much given up on it. It is what it is. For the most part "a crash a day doesn't scare me away" Smile

I don't want to be seen as a pest so I just don't pursue the issues. I just thought maybe adding a feature request was worth a try Wink

With rebuilding from scratch every couple of weeks I've managed to keep it pretty well up to date.

Recreating from scratch works around the issues of failing to add multiple copies of the same movie in the DB. I think we've been though all this before. Though there are 100's of documentaries that do not have imdb/tmdb entries that I would like to have in the library, but I've never been able to get them in, so I just gave up. They are managed via a spreadsheet.
(2021-01-05, 04:54)Yanta Wrote: Though there are 100's of documentaries that do not have imdb/tmdb entries that I would like to have in the library, but I've never been able to get them in, so I just gave up.
NFO files. Use the Templates on the linked pages here depending on whether they are movies or tv shows... NFO files (wiki)

Alternatively, add them to the TMDB site.
My Signature
(2021-01-05, 05:26)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-01-05, 04:54)Yanta Wrote: Though there are 100's of documentaries that do not have imdb/tmdb entries that I would like to have in the library, but I've never been able to get them in, so I just gave up.
NFO files. Use the Templates on the linked pages here depending on whether they are movies or tv shows... NFO files (wiki)

Alternatively, add them to the TMDB site.
You pointed me to that long ago, and I did read it all. I tried fiddling with NFO files. Couldn't get it to work. Perhaps I'm just too old and too impatient to persist with them.
Wait, what... anyone can add to tmdb? Scary... I suspect though they'd be censored out pretty darn quick.
(2021-01-05, 05:39)Yanta Wrote: Wait, what... anyone can add to tmdb? Scary... I suspect though they'd be censored out pretty darn quick.
Yep, it is a community database. Nope, they don't censor out adult titles if that is what you are referring to. But you do need to mark them as Adult so they don't appear in the general search results.
My Signature
(2021-01-05, 06:08)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-01-05, 05:39)Yanta Wrote: Wait, what... anyone can add to tmdb? Scary... I suspect though they'd be censored out pretty darn quick.
Yep, it is a community database. Nope, they don't censor out adult titles if that is what you are referring to. But you do need to mark them as Adult so they don't appear in the general search results.
Blush Heaven's no! I am not into adult content. No, this is more "Not going along with the official narrative" of historical events type stuff.
Oops, sorry. More along the lines of conspiracy theory and alternative truths. Here is what is not allowed at TMDB... https://www.themoviedb.org/bible/new_content
My Signature
ahem
Quote:Windows error

That may be part of the problem. Not trying to be a smart ass but from my own experience everything I run on linux is infinitely more reliable and stable and that includes media serving and playback via Kodi. Windows owns the desktop world but for server / media center stuff I don't trust it at all. YMMV.

Anecdotal of course. I've had fairly consistent issues when hitting \ to switch to windowed vs full screen on my Windows desktop. Linux I don't think it has ever not worked. If I could run my games on Linux I would flat out no question.

*EDIT* nvm, just realized this is your desktop. Not really an option. In that case might I suggest instead of using Kodi's library function tell it to use a docker mysql / mariadb? This way it's all separate?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to manage TV shows on disc and on server0