Kodi 19 - sporadically no Sound and Video freezes
Hello, maybe someone can help me here.

Setup:
First of all I have a NUC7i5BNK connected to an AVR and to a TV.
I am running Windows 10 Pro 20H2 and Video/Audio Drivers are the latest (24.xx)
The Sound ist set correctly in Windows.
The Files are on a smb Share and the Database is mysql56.
The issue also appears on my NUC7i3BNK connected to another TV and another AVR (1080p here).

I upgraded from Kodi 17.6 (which was running fine) to 19 rc1 and later 19 stable. Both exhibit the same issue.

Issue:
When starting a video, the screen switches resolution. After that the loading begins. Stops for some seconds and returns to load (you can see the Kodi loading animation).
If I set the pause after refreshrate switch, the first loading takes longer but the problem still persists. Tried 20s but no luck.
After that there is no audio. And also never again audio in Kodi.
Also Kodi never exits and has to be killed.
  • Happens with WASAPI and DirectSound.
  • reinstalling audio drivers does not help
  • it sometimes occurs on the first file, sometimes later
  • as far as I see only occurs when Refreshrate switching is on
  • occurs also when Kodi is set to 1080p instead of 2160p
  • occurs with all video files
  • tried on a fresh install only with the advancedsettings for db access and without addons. Still occured
It seems the "waiting time" is the time betwenn these two events:
2021-03-09 16:16:49.728 T:9096    ERROR <general>: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::FlushEngine - failed to flush
2021-03-09 16:16:52.283 T:6596    ERROR <general>: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::MakeStream - could not create stream

hastebin has some problems because the file is too big. I will up that later.
Ok I created a new file because the other one was too big for hastebin.
I think the problem occurs here:
2021-03-09 17:20:23.642 T:8464    ERROR <general>: ActiveAE::ActiveAE::CActiveAE::UnconfigureSink - failed to unconfigure

aripudowuk.kodi (paste)
Ok meanwhile I tried different things to no avail but I can actually rule out some things. The problem persists over 3 devices (NUC7i5BEH, NUC7i3BEK, NUC7i3 BEH) if I have refreshrate switch activated.
It seems that most people have up or just don’t have this Problem.

- tried HDFury DrHDMI 4K with HTPC Mode so Windows doesn’t notice if the display/AVR is missing or not answering
—> not a handshake or hotplug hdmi Problem
- using the NUC directly on TV
—> not a Problem of AVR
- using directsound and no passthrough also has the same problematic but less often it seems
—> not a wasapi issue and not a passthrough problem
- using a fresh Kodi install with nightly build from end of august
—> problem persists even on fresh install so no addon problem and still not fixed through newer version
- using media on the device without scraping them
—> not a sql or database issue
- updated drivers and hdmi firmware to the latest possible
—> still maybe a driver issue that is triggered by Kodi

Next things I will try:
- using a NUC8i5 with the new drivers and a fresh windows 10 install (while my windows keeps updated I have one NUC that is basically only Kodi with only windows updates getting installed)
- using no virus scanner on this device and keeping it offline
- throw away functionality and going back to Kodi 17 which worked

I upgraded to Kodi 19 and shortly after the Windows feature release was installed. Maybe it broke something basic in windows which affected Kodi only. I will try with a different device that is not an Intel nuc if I get my hands on one these days. Hopefully i will get it to work with a NUC because I like the functionality with the IR-Sensor for turning the device on.
If you don't need anything else but Kodi on (any of) your NUC devices, then perhaps a solution like LibreELEC could help out, if only for testdriving and finding out if there is a more Kodi-core problem at hand. Normal Intel GPU handling is pretty stable.
@SakuraKira 

This issue may be te same that:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15490

The fix is not merged yet in Matrix but you can install this test build:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windo...ix-x64.exe 

Or master nightly builds: 
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/win64/master/

Also you may try update NUCs HDMI firmware to latest:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...7i7bn.html

Or even install newer firmware from other model compatible:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3021682

On my side I have NUC8i3BEK and works fine with current Matrix and master builds.
I have a new NUC8i5 with fresh windows install. And the problem still persists!

Firmware is the latest. Drivers are the latest possible. BIOS/EFI is the latest.

The problem took a while to resurface but it is definitely there.

In terms of how often it appears, it seems that wasapi passthrough contributes to the problem and it occurs much more often.

Since I also use the device for other purposes a pure Libreelec is not what I want but I can give it a try.
(2021-09-18, 10:33)jogal Wrote: @SakuraKira 

This issue may be te same that:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15490
No since it also occurs for non passthrough material like MP3 Audio. Also when happening the mentioned fix does not work. Also additionally video stops playing

Quote:The fix is not merged yet in Matrix but you can install this test build:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windo...ix-x64.exe 

Or master nightly builds: 
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/win64/master/
Tried the latest nightly. Same problem.

Quote:Also you may try update NUCs HDMI firmware to latest:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...7i7bn.html

Or even install newer firmware from other model compatible:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3021682
Also tried. My one nuc7i3 has a firmware higher than intels. Solved nothing.

Quote:On my side I have NUC8i3BEK and works fine with current Matrix and master builds.

I experience this problem on 4 Nucs now. 2 NUC7i3, NIC7i5 and a NUC8i5. All fresh OS installs. And the drivers differ between NUC8 and NUC7.

Wonder what the problem really is.
[/quote]
I now have this same issue - no sound at all, neither through passthrough or direct sound, and videos freeze after a few seconds of playback. For me this only started when upgrading to 19.2 - 19.1 was working perfectly well. I'm on a NUC8i3BEK and I'm really grumpy.
(2021-10-10, 22:00)BertieBassett Wrote: I now have this same issue - no sound at all, neither through passthrough or direct sound, and videos freeze after a few seconds of playback. For me this only started when upgrading to 19.2 - 19.1 was working perfectly well. I'm on a NUC8i3BEK and I'm really grumpy.

I have now reinstalled 19.1 over the top of 19.2 and everything is fixed and back to normal, so this is definitely an issue with 19.2.
(2021-10-11, 13:07)BertieBassett Wrote: I have now reinstalled 19.1 over the top of 19.2 and everything is fixed and back to normal, so this is definitely an issue with 19.2.

(2021-10-10, 22:00)BertieBassett Wrote: I now have this same issue

Then is not same issue because original post is referring to 19 rc1 and 19.0/1 

In any case no debug logs at all (the one included in the second post is empty) and for new issue also no logs. Then we can't do anything.
(2021-10-11, 13:17)jogal Wrote:
(2021-10-11, 13:07)BertieBassett Wrote: I have now reinstalled 19.1 over the top of 19.2 and everything is fixed and back to normal, so this is definitely an issue with 19.2.

In any case no debug logs at all (the one included in the second post is empty) and for new issue also no logs. Then we can't do anything.
I'll note I've seen this same issue occur. It happens randomly. When it does occur, I'll start a video and there is no sound, then the video skips badly for a few seconds and then completely freezes. Next I stop the video, and if I try to play anything else at all (doesn't matter is it's passthrough/mp3 audio etc) there is no sound. The only way to get sound back is to turn off my nuc and receiver and reboot everything, then sound will be back to normal until it happens again. The issue is very intermittent so it's hard to replicate. I will say I've noticed it the most with 4k HDR content with passthrough. If I start then stop multiple 4k HDR videos I can USUALLY replicate the issue within maybe 5 - 10 plays or less, but not always.

Here's my equipment:

NUC7i5bnh
Onkyo TX-NR676 Receiver
LG OLED65C7P TV

I was actually hoping 19.2 would correct this issue, but I haven't had time to update yet to try it, so I'm still running 19.1. But it sounds like it didn't fix the issue,

I realize this isn't the most helpful for the Kodi team since I don't have a debug log, but I wanted to chime in to add another person to the list of users experiencing this, if I can I'll be sure to get a debug log if I see it again.

Something else to note: I haven't seen the issue since I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of my Intel display/audio drivers, including removing all old EDID info from the registry. I can't say if it fixed the issue since I haven't watched enough content since I reinstalled the drivers to have a big enough sample size. But here is what I did in case it does help someone else:

1) Completely uninstalled the Intel display/audio drivers
2) Deleted all of the EDID information from the registry (I had several old devices/information listed there so I cleaned it up to ensure starting from scratch
3) Fresh install of the Intel drivers

This fixed a couple of other issues I was having that seemed to have stemmed from the upgrade from 18 to 19.1, so I'm hopeful it corrected this as well.
(2021-10-11, 18:37)dpar Wrote:

I'll note I've seen this same issue occur. It happens randomly. When it does occur, I'll start a video and there is no sound, then the video skips badly for a few seconds and then completely freezes. Next I stop the video, and if I try to play anything else at all (doesn't matter is it's passthrough/mp3 audio etc) there is no sound. The only way to get sound back is to turn off my nuc and receiver and reboot everything, then sound will be back to normal until it happens again. The issue is very intermittent so it's hard to replicate. I will say I've noticed it the most with 4k HDR content with passthrough. If I start then stop multiple 4k HDR videos I can USUALLY replicate the issue within maybe 5 - 10 plays or less, but not always.

Here's my equipment:

NUC7i5bnh
Onkyo TX-NR676 Receiver
LG OLED65C7P TV

I was actually hoping 19.2 would correct this issue, but I haven't had time to update yet to try it, so I'm still running 19.1. But it sounds like it didn't fix the issue,

I realize this isn't the most helpful for the Kodi team since I don't have a debug log, but I wanted to chime in to add another person to the list of users experiencing this, if I can I'll be sure to get a debug log if I see it again.

Something else to note: I haven't seen the issue since I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of my Intel display/audio drivers, including removing all old EDID info from the registry. I can't say if it fixed the issue since I haven't watched enough content since I reinstalled the drivers to have a big enough sample size. But here is what I did in case it does help someone else:

2) Deleted all of the EDID information from the registry (I had several old devices/information listed there so I cleaned it up to ensure starting from scratch

This fixed a couple of other issues I was having that seemed to have stemmed from the upgrade from 18 to 19.1, so I'm hopeful it corrected this as well.

Thanks for chiming in - good to know it's not just me. I never saw this once in months of using 18 then 19.1, but the first time I try to use 19.2 it behaves exactly as dpar described. Only difference is that for me it does it without fail every time. 

Sorry for the lack of logs - I realised after I'd rolled back to 19.1 that I should have saved out the log and posted it here, but I didn't. Since it's all back to working now with 19.1 I'm a bit reluctant to pop 19.2 back again and have it crash on me. But if I do then I'll certainly post the log on here before I get annoyed and roll back again Smile

I am a bit stumped. When I uploaded the log was there but since no one cares about the problem it seems the log expired?

Also please note that a Full debug log is too big for pastebin so I mostly used the shortened version
(2021-10-11, 18:37)dpar Wrote:

Here's my equipment:

NUC7i5bnh
Onkyo TX-NR676 Receiver
LG OLED65C7P TV

With a fresh windows install. The issue took longer to reappear but it definitely came back.
Another try and I added the: Logfile

File is opened at 2021-10-21 12:27:30.121 T:12764

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 - sporadically no Sound and Video freezes0