Where is the log file located? Please add this info to the wiki
https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file 

Is the location of the log file in there? I really don't see it. I'm on Linux but really the location should be there for all OSs. Seems like a natural place to find it.
(2021-08-31, 06:59)wcanyon Wrote: Is the location of the log file in there?
Yes. Click on a method and check the table. You might need to expand the table if it is collapsed.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-08-31, 06:59)wcanyon Wrote: I'm on Linux

~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-08-31, 07:15)Karellen Wrote: Yes. Click on a method and check the table. You might need to expand the table if it is collapsed.

All collapsible tables in the Kodi wiki appear to be collapsed by default. That also makes their content invisible and even unusable when using the search function of a web browser.
(2021-08-31, 07:15)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-08-31, 06:59)wcanyon Wrote: Is the location of the log file in there?
Yes. Click on a method and check the table. You might need to expand the table if it is collapsed.

I still don't see anything that says "on this OS the log file is in _____ "
(2021-08-31, 11:08)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-08-31, 06:59)wcanyon Wrote: I'm on Linux

~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log
OK thanks. I think that should be in the wiki.
(2021-09-02, 06:18)wcanyon Wrote: I think that should be in the wiki.
Ummm, it is.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-09-02, 06:17)wcanyon Wrote: I still don't see anything that says "on this OS the log file is in _____ "

If you would have followed the advice @Karellen gave you, then you would have seen it. He said, to click on a "method" mentioned on the link you provided above. There are 2 methods mentioned. "Easy" and "Advanced". If you would have clicked on "Advanced" you would have been linked to: 

https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced

And then you might have seen the list which mentions the locations for the logfiles for many OSs. 

So please don't say the information is not there. You just have to follow the advises someone gives you and read the pages propoerly. Wink
(2021-09-05, 09:24)DaVu Wrote:
(2021-09-02, 06:17)wcanyon Wrote: I still don't see anything that says "on this OS the log file is in _____ "

If you would have followed the advice @Karellen gave you, then you would have seen it. He said, to click on a "method" mentioned on the link you provided above. There are 2 methods mentioned. "Easy" and "Advanced". If you would have clicked on "Advanced" you would have been linked to: 

https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced
So the real answer is that it isn't on the log file page or mentioned there, you have to "know" to go to the advanced page to find the information. 

Don't criticize me because I expected the information I needed about the location of the log file to be on a page called "Log File". Moreover, the description of the page that actually has the data: 

>This page will describe how to create, access and upload the Debug Logfile when Kodi is unresponsive or you are unable to navigate the menu system. If you can navigate the menu system, it is recommended you use the Easy Method.

... so why would I think that the log file location would be there? There's nothing about it in the page description.

I just don't appreciate being criticized for missing something that isn't there " Wink "

here's how sabnzbd does it: 
Quote:NOTE The paths of the log_dir, admin_dir will be relative to the location of the INI file unless a fixed path is set.
The download_dir, complete_dir, dirscan_dir are relative from the current users home directory.
The location of the ini file is really easy to see in the config page, so this is pretty clear.
(2021-08-31, 19:48)Klojum Wrote: All collapsible tables in the Kodi wiki appear to be collapsed by default. That also makes their content invisible and even unusable when using the search function of a web browser.
I just took a look at the wiki and... well, this page is pretty clear and succinct - does what it says on the tin and gets the information across, so thumbs-up to whomever took onboard feedback and adjusted the page accordingly.

Just curiously: if I was to help out with Wiki content, do I just request an account then go from there?
(2021-10-15, 08:24)Preacher Wrote: Just curiously: if I was to help out with Wiki content, do I just request an account then go from there?
Yup, at least once the request is approved by a wiki admin.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks!   I saw plenty of improvement opportunities some time back but didn't pursue it - I'll proceed now...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where is the log file located? Please add this info to the wiki0