v19 Synology DSM 7 with MariaDB painfully slow with Matrix 19.x
(2021-11-13, 17:13)dpar Wrote: Just to throw it out there, I'm running DSM 7 on my DS1819+ using MariaDB 10, and don't have any issues whatsoever. I've been running it this way since DSM 7 came out. I'm also using SMB. So I would assume you had some type of issue with the DSM upgrade initially?

Certainly no issues with the DSM 7/MariaDB/SMB combination in general. In fact if anything I would say performance seems better in DSM 7 vs DSM 6.
Thanks, thats useful to know that there are some environments working fine. Could be a multitude of things causing the issue but couldn't get a great deal of sense out of Synology support and I haven't got the time to be going through Wireshark outputs line by line trying to figure out what calls are causing which delay at various points. 

Now I've downgraded back to DSM6 and followed Dans recommendations about tuning MariaDB, I've got a faster setup now. Synology interface was definitely running sluggish for me with DSM7.
(2021-11-13, 23:07)gibxxi Wrote:
(2021-11-12, 20:38)davesdeadcat Wrote: Just to close the loop on this issue, I've now successfully rolled back my Synology to DSM6 using this excellent guide :
https://www.blackvoid.club/dsm-7-to-dsm-6-downgrade/

After following Dan's tips on tweaking MariaDB (thanks again Dan) I now have a fully working and much snappier KODI setup. Queries and traversals between TV shows etc are much much quicker than before all this started so I'm happy now, although somewhat disappointed I couldn't get to the root of the problem. All KODI clients now running 19.3 and working fine so KODI itself doesn't seem to be the issue.

Only concern is that DSM6 is likely to go out of support some time in the next year or so and upgrading back to DSM7 is now something I'm going to avoid for as long as possible. 

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions.

Great to hear that your up and running again @davesdeadcat . I would advise you to keep an eye on your OS partition utilization going forwards, and keep Kodi database versions you keep on the MariaDB server to a maximum of 2 (One active, one old version).

You won't gain much by emptying the /TMP/ folder for example, as this is nailed-on to be a RAMdisk and will be cleared at reboot anyway. But do check the thing and make sure you've not been infected with some kind of malware, and that the add-ons you are running were installed by your good self, and are not causing issues in and of themselves. QNAP had a major security issue with ransomware a while back and a lot of people were affected. Thankfully I wasn't one of them, but proof if any were needed, that essentially, these NAS boxes are just 'computers' with a singular purpose (in the main), and can be compromised just as easily.

These NAS devices all run the same tricks to get to an end result. There maybe subtle differences between manufacturers in terms of the overall file system layout, but I know (having owned models by Netgear, Asustor and now QNAP) that none of these companies are going to go and re-invent the wheel. The 'innovation', if you can call it that, is leveraged elsewhere. So they all have the same advantages and pitfalls to a degree.

It's quite possible, that in Dave's case there wasn't enough remaining room on the OS partition to extract / process the firmware update properly for example, given the number of old databases he had on there. Remember, the amount of global space you have in terms of HDDs is irrelevant. The OS partition(s) will be of a set, limited size, and if filled will result in problems. It all appears via SSH as a single folder tree, but that's just massive amounts of symbolic linking hiding the true nature and layout of the partitions / volumes / drives from the end user, and to make things easier for the host OS to manage.

Dan / Gib.
Some useful comments here Dan, thanks again.  A quick 'df -h' showed ample (or at least it seemed ample to me) space in the OS partition as it was only around 50% full and /tmp only 2%. This NAS does nothing at all except host media and the DB for my Kodi environment. So, I don't have lots of addons/apps running and not doing any encoding with things like Plex etc so its definitely an unusual issue that I'm glad is now fixed, at least for the foreseeable. 

I may need to see if there is a way to run a VM version of DSM somehow to see if I can re-create my environment in a sandbox so I can test out the upgrade ahead of time when DSM 7.1 releases (if I choose to even bother upgrading that is). otherwise, pretty happy with Synology after having run a more power hungry Netgear readynas for 10+ years prior. 

Thanks again for all the comments / pointers / suggestions.
No worries Dave.

I wouldn't rule out a firmware upgrade issue either mind you. It is the case that most of these firmware updates run on preset scripts, much like when you install addon packages. Said scripts won't take account of any edge-cases where the system isn't exactly how the upgrade expects it to be (for whatever reason). If/when they release 7.1 it will be interesting to see if this issue is mentioned in the release notes for that release. Might also be an idea to see if anyone on the Synology community forums has had anything resembling a similar issue you did.

Smile

Dan / Gib.
<lurker> Thanks for the thread.  Now I'm putting off any decision to upgrade to DSM 7, as the release notes didn't really give me any reason I need it (mostly I host media files and backups on SMB shares.  I do have MariaDB running just to play with; use native Kodi sqlite3 on all my production installs).

scott s.
Hi, I am so glad that I came across this thread.

I have been a long time KODI user and it has been running perfectly for me over many years (and many versions) allowing me to share my KODI library with my 2 x Android Media boxes using SMB.

My previous setup of a Synology DS412+ running DSM 6.2.3-2546, MariaDB 5.5.68 <PORT 3306> and KODI 19.2 was working perfectly and sharing its library using SMB with both Android devices i.e. start watching on Android Box #1 (living room) and finish watching on Android Box #2 (bedroom).

However, ever since buying my new Synology DS1621+ running DSM 7.0-41890, MariaDB 10.3.29 <PORT 3307> and using KODI 19.2 I have experienced nothing but problems with sharing my library, whereby KODI freezes on both of the Android Media boxes on the start-up Matrix splash screen.

Having read all the articles I could find on-line, I have ensured to make all the relevant updates to the NAS and Advancedsettings.XML file including:
  • Created a new Static IP address on the NAS
  • Created an identical folder structure as that of the DS412+ and copied all of my data onto DS1621+
  • Installed and configured MariaDB 10.3.29 <Port 3307>, created a New User XBMC10 / password (containing: UPPERCASE, lowercase, number and special character), created 2 new Databases MyMusic82 & MyVideos119 and provided ALL privileges to New User XBMC10
  • Modified the Advancedsettings.XML appropriately and copied them into the relevant Userdata folders of both Android Media boxes (kept a backup of both of the original ones)
I have now given up on sharing the library and each device runs perfectly independently.

I wonder if the next release of DSM 7.1 will indeed address / fix this issue.
(2021-12-27, 17:37)ARAM10 Wrote: I have now given up on sharing the library and each device runs perfectly independently.

DSM 7.x seems to have its own quirks, MariaDB is having coughs every other versions, Kodi really hasn't changed that much in all v19 versions... I'm not convinced that DSM 7.1 will change much, database- or SMB-wise.

You could check MariaDB's own log when things go wrong between Kodi and Synology, apart from Kodi's own debug log.
(2021-12-27, 17:37)ARAM10 Wrote: I have now given up on sharing the library and each device runs perfectly independently.

You might consider migrating your MariaDB to a docker container on the Synology.  That's how I do mine.  I am still on DSM 6.x, but I heard enough people having problem with MariaDB on the Synology that I decided to use the official MariaDB docker container instead.  Works like a charm, and I can even update to newer MariaDB versions pretty quickly.

I basically run everything on my Synology out of Docker containers (except the core functions shipped with it).  That seems to help insulate me from some of the oddities of the various DSM upgrades.  As long as Docker works, everything else I run does to.
I use basic NAS DS218J, DSM6, MariaDB 10 and Kodi 19 works perfect.Looks like it is related to DSM7.
modify my.cnf, and 2 lines:

[mysqld]
skip-name-resolve

save and restart mariadb
(2023-12-25, 04:23)lessHairwithCodi Wrote: my.cnf

Hi, many thanks for your reply.

However, please excuse my ignorance. Where do I find "my.cnf" ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synology DSM 7 with MariaDB painfully slow with Matrix 19.x0