Dialogue gets muffled in multichannel audio configuration (macOS Monterey - AV Rec)
Hello,

I have a Mac Mini (M1, 2020) connected to an external AV Receiver, a Marantz 6007, in a 5.0 channel speaker configuration.

When I updated my system to macOS version 12 (Monterey), I started to experience issues with multichannel audio.

What happens is that spoken dialogue gets muffled. The central speaker gets almost muted (listen to attached audio file).

The other channels work just fine - so that music and sound effects are still present.

Note that I'm not using SPDIF (coaxial/optical) to output multichannel audio to the receiver.

I use Kodi to decode and output each individual channel via the HDMI cable (see screenshots). It used to work just fine until updating the system.

Also, the same happens with Kodi or other software.

If I use digital out it works - but digital out only works with lossy formats such as AC3 and normal DTS, not lossless such as EAC3 and DTS-HD/MA. That's why I decode the channels via software.

How can we solve the issue?

Best,

Fernando Gutz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dialogue gets muffled in multichannel audio configuration (macOS Monterey - AV Rec)0