Add Support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X Icons
Now the user @the-black-eagle work on HDR Type detect but i miss also a Dolby Atmos and DTS:X detect. I will see it in a skin as "Atmos" or '"DTS:X" and not as "True-HD" and DTS-HD.
Not possible from file probing as audios streams only identify themselves to Kodi as TrueHD and DTS-HD since ffmpeg knows nothing about the object data extensions, so the only way to do it would be to use the filename so for example by requiring a filename style such as movie_name (2021).Atmos.mkv
Unfortunately this is not the solution for me. I would not rename my Files! My Files are movie_name (2021).mkv

I use the mediaInfo DLL in my own Movielist Software and i get all informations from this. Why cannot use kodi this dll?

Or can we hope ffmpeg 5.0 give this information?
(2022-01-10, 14:56)Koloss Wrote: I use the mediaInfo DLL in my own Movielist Software and i get all informations from this. Why cannot use kodi this dll?
Maybe due to licensing? Mediainfo is available on pretty much all OSes Kodi supports (Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android...) https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

It's open source but uses this license: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/License maybe for some reason it's not compatible.

Or maybe it's not easy to integrate and Kodi devs have limited bandwidth available.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Well that would just add bloat for very little benefit.
This data from my Software became from Mediainfo.
I don't know about how hard it would be to implement this feature, but what I do know is that it would be much appreciated. The workaround of renaming the file is not right, because many movies have more than one audiotrack, which one would be the atmos o dts-x?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
(2022-01-11, 01:45)jjd-uk Wrote: Well that would just add bloat for very little benefit.
While I appreciate the effort to keep the installer at a small size (people offering bandwidth to the XBMC Foundation surely have limits), I would say that the "little benefit" is at least debatable. The grand majority of modern releases offer either Atmos or DTS-X. Not being able to identify them might be seen by some as a problem.
Note I do not own, currently, an Atmos/DTS-X capable AVR, so I'm not speaking out of self interest. :-)
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I have to agree with little benefit being debateable.

Not being able to show Atmos or DTS:X after so many years is very weird for software that claims to be "the ultimate entertainment center".

Same thing with hdr10+ that cannot currently be detected and is thus skipped in the HDR flags PR. Also DV not yet being detected on windows after that PR.

All related to Kodi using ffmpeg instead of libmediainfo (or something similar), which I think is the most widely used piece of software for this task.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kodi and the effort that all volunteers put in. But sometimes I feel priorities are wrong and these kind of things get dismissed over and over again for the wrong reasons. This is far from being the first thread about / request for Atmos and DTS:X flags.
(2022-01-14, 23:49)magician94 Wrote: Also DV not yet being detected on windows after that PR.

That's not quite accurate.  Kodi can't currently detect DV in MKV containers, but can in mp4 containers.

Bear in mind I raised that PR in July of last year, which means I probably started writing it around march/april time.  I can't remember exactly, but I don't think DV in mkv was possible at that time although there was much discussion around it getting added. Certainly, I don't think I had any test mkv's to use.  Due to real life considerations etc and a lack of spare time to work on Kodi, it took me 6 months to get that PR merged.  Things have moved on with mkv's since then.

(2022-01-14, 23:49)magician94 Wrote: But sometimes I feel priorities are wrong and these kind of things get dismissed over and over again for the wrong reasons.

I don't think that's at all fair. Consider how much work it is to implement a brand new API so that Kodi can use mediainfo, get it packaged so that it builds on all our supported platforms, then get team approval and get it merged. I'm not sure I have the required skillset to do it, but I certainly don't have enough free time to do it in a reasonable time-frame. I'd probably be looking at around a year simply because of how RL is right now. People don't seem to take into consideration that all the team members are volunteers and do this in their free time, which means as and when they can.

If someone wants to look at this and raise their own PR to do it, I'm sure it would be looked on favourably. Right now I just don't have the time to even consider looking at how it might be done. From my point of view, it would be better to look into patching our version of ffmpeg to provide the mkv support.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I am not saying that you are doing a bad job or that you should have implemented mediainfo. I know it is all done by volunteers in their free time, I already mentioned that.

I just think that the Kodi developer community as a whole should handle these things better. Have more focus on getting the basics right and most importantly work together as a team to tackle these kind of things properly.

In these specific cases instead of saying "we can't because of ffmpeg or X or Y" acknowledge that it is something Kodi should facilitate and, as a team, actively look into how that can be achieved in the best way possible. As far as I know there is no roadmap or Todo list for Kodi, so that also makes it hard to get people to work together towards a common goal.

Unfortunately I do not have the required c/c++ skills myself so I can not contribute code to this.
We're all volunteers who have our own areas of interest in Kodi development; we're not a business where everyone is allocated a certain area to work on. On top of that people leave and/or have real life to deal with so getting a roadmap isn't easy. We do have yearly devcons which can help but because of covid we haven't even been able to do that the last 2 years.
In Default Skin (Estuary) when i name my file "movie_name (2021).Atmos.mkv", i did not see "Atmos" i see it as "Dolby" in skin.
Can who fix it?
Because it doesn't support displaying the Atmos flag based on the filename.
Can the Kodi Team add this feature in Estuary?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add Support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X Icons0