jaggy, oversized pointer, sloww to move.
Just installed Kodi. Totally surprised by the lack of quality given the reputation.
The arrow pointer is jaggy in movement and responds intermittently. The desktop layout is too big for a 1440x900. More suited to a 640x480 VGA screen.
I'm using a Thinpad T61 circa 2008. The laptop is older but I've had no complaints with the speed and size of the graphic layout with the seven or eight other media servers I've worked with. I can't go through the settings and find an adjustment the operation is so bad.
Is there a configuration file and setting I can edit without running the program?
Thank you.
(2022-04-30, 03:19)jimjulian Wrote: Totally surprised by the lack of quality given the reputation.
Ha, of course it is our problem. Couldn't possibly be your aged hardware.

Anyway, your hardware is probably too old. Specifically the graphics component.

Press the Windows start button and type dxdiag
In the System tab, what is...
Processor
DirectX version

In the Display tab, what is...
Name
Chip type
Device type
Current Display mode
Which DirectX Features are enabled.

A couple of screenshot are ok if you want to post them instead.

Also post your Debug Log to Kodi Paste Site and provide the link back here.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-04-30, 03:19)jimjulian Wrote: I'm using a Thinpad T61 circa 2008.

How long are you really expecting software companies to keeping supporting now prehistoric hardware? I have a laptop with a similar Core2Duo chip and graphics. It ends at some point.

Try Kodi 17 / LibreELEC 8.x, that should run better on the GMA 3100 GPU. A mouse shouldn't be used, using the keyboard is so much faster in Kodi.
Sounds like you haven't understood the primary use case for Kodi, which is to run on a device connected to a TV so you can view media in your living area while sat at normal TV viewing distance on a sofa or whatever, so it's meant to be what is often referred to as a 10ft viewing experience.
Hello,
Thanks for responding.
My situation is this: I have a laptop dedicated to being used as a media server. The laptop is connected via LAN to my local network. The laptop is attached to a dock with ten hard drives for a total of fifteen terabytes of videos, more or less. I have an LG 55oled Smart TV connected to the network via LAN and WiFi.
Currently, I'm using Emby software as a media server, without any age related problems. My reason for still searching, and I've been through seven or eight, is the Emby program does not recognize my WD PAssport Ultra USB-C drive. Each of my drives is a library in that program. I had a work around before a new install of Win10Pro-x64 and the Emby software. That work around no longer works. I use an LG App from Emby to navigate the on-screen GUI.
No serious issues other than the USB-C drive recognition problem. I also enjoy 4K, HDR with DTS 5.1 without issue in Emby.
You can understand my disappointment when I ran Kodi and felt like I was on Windows 3.1.
Anyway, does my situation seem suited to the use of Kodi?
Processor
    Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU     T7300  @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

DirectX version
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Name
    Card name: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)

Chip type
    See above.

Device type
    Full Display Device

Current Display mode
    1440x900 (32 bit)(60Hz)

DirectXDraw Acc
    Direct3D Acc
    AGP Texture Acc

No problems found in Displayu, Sound1 or Sound2, or Input
Also, see my post to jjd-uk.

Thank you.
Hello,
   Please see my response to jjd-uk.
Thank you.
(2022-04-30, 08:55)Klojum Wrote:
(2022-04-30, 03:19)jimjulian Wrote: I'm using a Thinpad T61 circa 2008.

How long are you really expecting software companies to keeping supporting now prehistoric hardware? I have a laptop with a similar Core2Duo chip and graphics. It ends at some point.

Try Kodi 17 / LibreELEC 8.x, that should run better on the GMA 3100 GPU. A mouse shouldn't be used, using the keyboard is so much faster in Kodi.
The Thinkpad T61 uses a touchpad with mouse buttons. See my response to jjd-uk. Thank you.
(2022-04-30, 20:40)jimjulian Wrote: DirectX version
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
You have DirectX12 which was released in 2015, on a pc that was built in 2008?
You have done some upgrades I assume?

Need to see the Debug Log that captures the problem.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-04-30, 04:27)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-04-30, 03:19)jimjulian Wrote: Totally surprised by the lack of quality given the reputation.
Ha, of course it is our problem. Couldn't possibly be your aged hardware.

Anyway, your hardware is probably too old. Specifically the graphics component.

Press the Windows start button and type dxdiag
Processor
DirectX version

Name
Chip type
Device type
Current Display mode

A couple of screenshot are ok if you want to post them instead.

Also post your Debug Log to Kodi Paste Site and provide the link back here.
Thank you. I'm unused to posting in this forum and ended up posting as a new entry rather than a response. 
The data is there, however. Thanks again.
(2022-04-30, 22:34)jimjulian Wrote: The data is there, however.

No. Only providing some breadcrumbs of information instead of providing the full log file with extra details for us as requested, doesn't make things easier to troubleshoot. I already mentioned I have a laptop with the same aging hardware. It will not smoothly run Kodi 18 or 19 or 23 anymore...

There is no magic wand to bring back the youth or extra muscle into your laptop. Kodi uses the newer/newest possible drivers and video techniques, and both Windows and Linux OS'es do not have an extra doping solution to crank up your laptop's hardware. Your laptop is now 15 14 years old ffs.

Either use a lower Kodi version, or promote your laptop into its new role as a superior book end. Moreover: no debug log (wiki) = no problem to solve.
While Kodi can serve media over a lan to a TV with it's own player, as I said before that not the primary use case we design Kodi around. Kodi is primarily meant to be a client app, in other words to be run on a device directly connected to a TV via HDMI for example. Do you also think Netflix and Amazon Prime apps on your LG have Window 3.1 interfaces? as that's the exact same type of interface Kodi uses.

If you don't want to use Kodi as a client app, and purely want to use something with UPnP server features to stream to your TV UPnP Player, then Kodi is probably not the best option for you. While Kodi can act as a server app it's not optimised for such usage.
There are some other threads about issues like yours. Looks like at some point on kodi 19 development issues with slow interface on older video cards appeared on windows version and there´s no solution to it.

On my experience, replacing windows for linux made the current kodi version work without issues. If you want kodi that bad, dual boot may be an option.

And Kodi 18 may work great on your machine and still have almost all the features of the current version.
(2022-04-30, 20:28)jimjulian Wrote: Hello,
Thanks for responding.
My situation is this: I have a laptop dedicated to being used as a media server. The laptop is connected via LAN to my local network. The laptop is attached to a dock with ten hard drives for a total of fifteen terabytes of videos, more or less. I have an LG 55oled Smart TV connected to the network via LAN and WiFi.
Currently, I'm using Emby software as a media server, without any age related problems. My reason for still searching, and I've been through seven or eight, is the Emby program does not recognize my WD PAssport Ultra USB-C drive. Each of my drives is a library in that program. I had a work around before a new install of Win10Pro-x64 and the Emby software. That work around no longer works. I use an LG App from Emby to navigate the on-screen GUI.
No serious issues other than the USB-C drive recognition problem. I also enjoy 4K, HDR with DTS 5.1 without issue in Emby.
You can understand my disappointment when I ran Kodi and felt like I was on Windows 3.1.
Anyway, does my situation seem suited to the use of Kodi?

As mentioned by others above, there are other sharing solutions with Kodi that work very well, including support for USB-C attached media drives.  I concur that Kodi is a fantastic client and can be used as a server up to a certain point and then trade-offs can occur.  I've spent quite a bit of time developing and supporting Kodi addons because I believe in the client aspect so much.  Here's a sharing  solution I use with Kodi clients that works in your situation.  I support the addon mentioned.

Happy to answer questions but the Wiki is pretty informative.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2022-05-01, 03:24)jbinkley60 Wrote: Happy to answer questions but the Wiki is pretty informative.

I don't see how a UPnP "server"-related solution suddenly will solve the 14 year old age gap of OP's laptop hardware. Care to elaborate on that first?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
jaggy, oversized pointer, sloww to move.0