Kodi + Google Nest Hub (Home) for Seniors
Requirement
Using Google Nest Hub/Alexa to integrate Kodi HTPC, Samsung Frame TV QA50LS03AAWXXY and Sony STR-DH790 AV Receiver. 
Current System
Our current setup is a Windows 7 HTPC running Windows Media Center (WMC), Samsung Frame TV  and 5:1 sound output through a Sony STR-DH790 AV Receiver all of which are controlled from a Logitech Harmony 1100 remote with IR signals transmittted through an IR repeater as the PC and AV receiver are in a separate media cabinet.
Issues 
1. Need a solution for the long press on the Samsung TV for on/off which the Harmony 1100 Remote cannot transmit.
2. Is it better to use IFTTT to automate complex sequences with multiple devices or something else to make it senior friendly
3. Is it worth continuing with WMC or swtich to NextPVR.
4. Is IFTTT premium still the best solution for sequence automation given the increased costs.
Background
My partner is in his 80's and somewhat technically challenged although he can manage the basics like email, facebook on an iPad and the Harmony Remote which I have programmed.
I would am leaning towrds Google Nest Hub (because of the better voice interface compared to Alexa) to make it easier for him to play music and control the sound and TV channels.
As there is no support for WMC in the Hub, the plan is to switch the PC from WMC to Kodi as a front end (considering switching from WMC to NextPVR) .
However, the Samsung Frame TV annoyingly requires a 3 second press on the keypad to turn it on/off and the Logitech Harmony 1100 remote is incapable of sending a long signal.
Google Home is supported by Kodi and the Samsung TV so both can receive instructions direct via Wifi but the Sony AV receiver only accepts IR commands and I can use an IR blaster to send signals to the existing IR repeater which is wired to the PC and has an IR emitter attached to the IR receiver of the Sony AV receiver.
Functions required
The key functions required are:
1. Play Music:  Turn on TV, display Kodi Weather page, set volume level to 20 on AV Receiver, select Classical Playlist on Kodi and play all randomly. Then display a random slide show of images from the Kodi Picture library via Kodi screen saver .
2. Turn on TV: If TV is not on, turn on TV and then display live TV, If time is <19.00 then display channel 20 else display channel 90. 
Adjust sound level for TV (+10)
3. Turn off TV = Stop current program/music and then display Kodi weather page. Turn off TV.
4. Change channel to 2 when time is 19.00.
I realise that it may be possible to issue voice instructions to Google Hub/Alexa to go through the sequence of events but I would like to know if it's better to use IFTTT to automate the sequences or is there something better?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Google Nest Hub (Home) for Seniors0