Solved Possible Regression: Audio Decoding Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3)
I have an old-school 5.1 Yamaha AVR with only standard Dolby AC3 and DTS (both 5.1) decoding.  No TrueHD or 7.1 decoding.  

I have Kodi and Windows setup with 5.1 audio and Kodi setup to bitstream 5.1 AC3 and DTS (using DTS Core).  Everything else gets decoded (and downmixed as necessary) by Kodi and output as PCM 5.1 (or 2.0/1 if it's a stereo track) to the receiver via WASPI over HDMI.

In v19.5, EAC3 was working fine, it would be decoded and output as 5.1 PCM to the receiver, channels properly mapped.

In v20.0, this no longer works. EAC3 is now output as 2 channel PCM.  Regular 5.1 AC3 and DTS core properly bitstream to the AVR as they did before in 19.5.  I have some old WMA5.1 files to test, and those still get properly decoded and output as 5.1 PCM as well as before.  I also have some 7.1 TrueHD files for testing, and those decode and remap to 5.1 PCM fine too.  It's just the EAC3 files that don't work anymore.  It does that with the released v20.0, and also with the latest nightly build.

Here's the debug log for it working properly in v19.5:

https://hastebin.com/utiqirudul.yaml

Here's the debug log with it no longer working properly in v20.0 (20230123 nightly build):

https://hastebin.com/ukicavuluq.yaml

Hopefully someone can look into this and verify it's a decoding regression that can be fixed?

Many thanks!
TRJB
Don't really know anything about the video/audio processing, but I see in the log

Code:
AESinkWASAPI: Format [FL, FR, FC, LFE, SL, SR] not supported by driver

Why it determined that I don't know.  I do see when it enumerated your devices that it found BL and BR but I wouldn't think the difference between SL,SR and BL,BR as significant, but again I really don't know.

scott s.
Ya, I don't know why it works fine in 19.5 though.  I installed 20.0 over top of 19.5 a couple of weeks ago when it came out and didn't notice, but there was another issue with DXVA decoding that was resolved in a nightly, which I installed a week ago, and then noticed it wasn't sending PCM 5.1.  So I reinstalled 19.5 overtop this afternoon, and the EAC3 is decoding to 5.1 PCM just fine.  Reinstalled 20.0 over that and back to only decoding to PCM 2.0.  So there has to be some kind of regression or bug in v20 that it works fine in 19.5 but not in 20 without changing anything but the installation of the new version.

Cheers
TRJB
(2023-01-24, 23:11)scott967 Wrote: Don't really know anything about the video/audio processing, but I see in the log

Code:
AESinkWASAPI: Format [FL, FR, FC, LFE, SL, SR] not supported by driver

Why it determined that I don't know.  I do see when it enumerated your devices that it found BL and BR but I wouldn't think the difference between SL,SR and BL,BR as significant, but again I really don't know.

scott s.

Agreed, it seems to be failing because the AMD device does not support that exact specific layout. Not sure what might have change from v19 to cause this as the only code change I see relating to WASAPI was a fix for Xbox by @jogal but I can't see that having any effect regarding this issue.

Perhaps there was some change in the platform agnostic part of the audio code causing this. I was going to suggest raising a issue on github, but I see you've already done that, for the reference of anyone reading it's https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/22584
Just closing the loop on this thread if anyone is interested.  The code was patched to include more comprehensive channel matching search and fallback for older cards/drivers that don't include SL and SR channel configurations. 

This can be marked Solved.

Cheers
TRJB
Thread marked solved.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible Regression: Audio Decoding Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3)0