Synology nas I do or sr1, speed
So I’m considering experimenting with jbod vs sr1 for a large movie drive. Running out of space and money is tight, so if I go jbod it would have the space but it would be more work. So considering performance of kodi , loading a movie wall of a large library or playback of movies including 4k with maybe 60-80 tb of movies

….anyone know from experience if there is or would likely be any slowdown, delay or other problem  in a jbod setup that sr1 would not have. Or vice versa? 

any other drawbacks of jbod in a kodi type setup vs raid setup that might be helpful to know. 

also does a raid setup like sr1 wear your drives down faster than jbod ? Due to all the functions and self check etc? Or due to jbod being fairly static does that mean less use and wear and tear on a drive?
regarding jbod -

i have used this for my media storage for the better part of 20 years and have had no issues
however, given thats the way i have been doing it, i dont have anything comparative

regarding other -

outside of a server environment where you need large storage with parity in case of failure i dont actually see the benefit to a home user when the software can overcome multiple drive paths

-----

you will likely find a wide variety of opinions on a NAS forum where it's not simply for media - https://community.synology.com

-----

additional note regarding speed

large storage for media files when only 1 user is accessing it does not need to be fast - average read speed would be less than 150Mbps (megabits) which is a small fraction of a drive's speed

regarding the artwork kodi needs to load i would recommend a good NVME drive but outside of that there will be no 'better' by changing disk configuration
What is the network speed of yr NAS? 1x gb/s, 2gb/s, 2.5gb/s,10gb/s?

RAID-1 still needs to read data from 2+ drives, but if your NAS connection speed is below the disk raid, then it doesn't really matter how fast yr disk setup is.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synology nas I do or sr1, speed0