Adding covers to mp4
I have a portable hard drive TB connected to my raspberry pi 4 loaded with mp4 movies/ tv shows. I have it all organized. A Movie folder with my mp4 movies and a TV folder with my mp4 tv shows so I know where to go to.

As for my movies. When clicking the movie folder to go to my mp4s, the do each movie have to be in its own movie folder. How would I add a movie cover to the movie folder
just need to name artwork appropriately - see https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork_types
(2023-07-20, 04:45)general79 Wrote: do each movie have to be in its own movie folder
They don't have to be, but we recommend that they are in a movie folder, which can also contain trailer, artwork, nfo files, external subtitle files, etc.
Imagine if you did this for most or all of your movies, but did not use movie folders, your main folder would be a mess.

(2023-07-20, 04:45)general79 Wrote: How would I add a movie cover to the movie folder
See the image here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork
It is also preferable that you scrape the movies into your library. Are you doing that or are you using file view?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
So, i took the time to make snapshots of my problem here.
Here a few months ago, after storing my MP4s on the portable drive, it was just listed on the drive, my Movies and TV shows all on the main drive, just showing a list of movies and show together.
SO, i redid that. I created a MOVIE and TV SHOW folder at the start, so when i go to my drive locating, there shows my MOVIE and TV SHOW folders at the start. When clicking on my MOVIE folder, it shows a list of all over my movies. So would i just need to go inside of the MOVIE folder on the pc and create sub-folder to drop the movie file into that folder. SO each movie be in it's own folder, just like a dvd in it's own case.

Imagehttps://postimg.cc/tZg0dF4R
(2023-07-25, 06:58)general79 Wrote: SO, i redid that. I created a MOVIE and TV SHOW folder at the start,
Now you need to Set Content on those two folders (MOVIES and TV SHOWS)
See the instructions here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources
Call up the Context Menu on those folders and select Set Content then continue with what the images show in that wiki page above.
Once you set content, you can scrape the movies and tv shows into the library.
Don't change scrapers,, but do adjust the Settings to your preference. You may want to change language, or ratings or something else.

Does that solve the problem?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I created folders inside of the main MOVIE folder on the drive, and then dropped the movie file in each folder and then added the movie cover along with the movie file.
Example: the movie i have (Alita: Battle Angel) do i name the (movie file/ movie folder/ movie cover) all the same name title (Alita: Battle Angel)
First time that i tried about a year ago, i did this https://www.howtogeek.com/301671/how-and...our-media/ what it say, but, i got thumbnails of the video.
Would i need to put the JPG movie cover in the folder along with the movie file and do i name the folder, movie file and jpg movie cover to same name title, or how would i title it in the right way.
(2023-07-25, 08:07)general79 Wrote: the movie i have (Alita: Battle Angel) do i name the (movie file/ movie folder/ movie cover) all the same name title (Alita: Battle Angel)
Please look at the image on this page.... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork
It shows you exactly how to name the artwork.
I mentioned that in my previous post.
My Signature
I have a TB drive loaded with MP4 videos, movies and classic tv shows. So i don't even bother connecting the Pi to the internet.
I have now each movie in its own folder and i also place the movie cover in the movie folder along with the movie. So When go online to watch my favorite movies and shows since i can just hop over to the kodi and select the drive to watch my shows. SO since the pi isn't connected and i just watch my MP4 is there a different way for me to add my movie cover to the movie folder since the cover are in the same folder as the video.
Like this...

John Wick 4 (2023).mp4
John Wick 4 (2023)-poster.jpg
My Signature
So, since the Pi is not connected, and my posters are saved in the same folder as the video
the movie should be
movie title (2019).mp4
movie title (2019)-poster.jpg
and then do i have to scan i order for it to work
(2023-08-03, 06:06)general79 Wrote: movie title (2019).mp4
movie title (2019)-poster.jpg
and then do i have to scan i order for it to work
No, you don't have to scan. Kodi will find the artwork and display it.
If you have fanart, you can add that also. Same as above but using -fanart.jpg

That is the only artwork that will display without scanning into the library.
My Signature
I put the movie file and poster in the right format name (year).mp4 name (year)-.jpg and put both in the same folder.
I did a test run. First I created the source for name Movies then inside of the source folder sub-folder and title it as the movie and inside i drop the movie file and poster.
I did this as it shows  and added some snapshots to show what i see
https://postimg.cc/7GvkqD3m
In snapshot 5 where the movie and movie cover file is saved in, it doesn't display the movie cover just the folder icon.
I did these steps here https://www.howtogeek.com/301671/how-and...our-media/ but that didn't work
Here's the thing, I have two raspberry pi 4s, one mounted on a 10.1inch screen that i fixed up as a mp3 player. I plugged the usb drive to the laptop, loading my mp3 on it. i used itunes to add album covers to the mp4 files. Once that i reconnected the usb stick to the player, which also has Kodi on the pi. Once i started the player up, it shows all the mp3 files with their album cover.

So, i just figure as for my other player connected to the TV, i can connect my usb driver that has my movies and covers in the sames folders to the laptop and add the movie poster to the folder. I have a software where i can have my cover to show instead of the folder icon...
After finding out about the MSIF  movie set information folder https://kodi.wiki/images/a/ac/LocalMovieSetsArt01.jpg
all my movies will be on a USB drive connected to the Pi, like i said before.
Do i just create two folders on the USB drive, 
1. Source folder name MOVIES
2. MSIF movie set information folder name movie set
3. inside of the movie set information folder, create sub-folder name after the movie and place the artwork inside
(2023-08-24, 06:31)general79 Wrote: Do i just create two folders on the USB drive, 
1. Source folder name MOVIES
2. MSIF movie set information folder name movie set
Yep.

(2023-08-24, 06:31)general79 Wrote: 3. inside of the movie set information folder, create sub-folder name after the movie and place the artwork inside
Named after the Movie Set, exactly as it is named in Kodi.
Any illegal characters are replaced with an underscore _
eg Mission: Impossible = Mission_ Impossible
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding covers to mp40