Bad picture after system change
So.....I have been using Kodi for some years now without any problems. I usually use it for movies and some music from time to time.

I just bought myself a new computer (Windows), so I did a backup of all my kodi settings, artwork etc, and I moved a couple of harddrives over to the new system.

I managed to restore everything, and all was well untill I tried to play some movies, and they looked awfull. Some of the movies I tried was like looking at old VHS, and
all the highlights were blown out to the extreme.....the is no detail at all in white buildings etc.

I have no idea what can be wrong? I have cleared the drivers and installed new ones for the graphics cars.

Playing 4k content on the internet looks just fine, and playing movies in VLC also looks fine.......so what can be the problem here?
I have now tried some more.....and its either blown out whites, or some other movies are very dark. Im running an old version of kodi, so I downloaded and installed the latest version......and I had read that it wouldnt affect settings, addons, skins etc, but it f*cked up everything. about 3/4 of all my movies were gone......the skin Im using had stopped working, and I couldnt install it again because I got an error about it not working on the current version, so I had to use my backup again to restore it.

But I cant get the picture to look good. Its fine everywhere else.....VLC, Youtube, games and so on.......Its just when playing video withing Kodi that its a mess, and I really want to know whyyyyyy..... Undecided
(2023-09-10, 21:35)cubalibre77 Wrote: I just bought myself a new computer (Windows), so I did a backup of all my kodi settings, artwork etc, and I moved a couple of harddrives over to the new system.
What did you do? Copy the Roaming folder from one pc to another?

Play one of your movies and capture that in a Debug Log
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-09-11, 02:55)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-09-10, 21:35)cubalibre77 Wrote: I just bought myself a new computer (Windows), so I did a backup of all my kodi settings, artwork etc, and I moved a couple of harddrives over to the new system.

Yes, that what I ended up doing. I tried the backup-addon, but of course that didnt work, so I had to do it manually...
(2023-09-11, 03:34)cubalibre77 Wrote: Yes, that what I ended up doing
Ok, so you copied the settings over from your previous install, which was set up for that other pc with different specs, now those settings are on the wrong pc. So just need to find which ones they are.
Have you been through all the settings in Settings>System?

Also, are all the drive letters and paths to your media the same as from the old pc? Othewise if Movies was on Drive e:\ on the old pc, and now on drive g:\, Kodi will never find them.

Post the Debug Log.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-09-11, 03:34)cubalibre77 Wrote:
(2023-09-11, 02:55)Karellen Wrote:

Yes, that what I ended up doing. I tried the backup-addon, but of course that didnt work, so I had to do it manually...

Thank you for trying to help, but I think I would have more luck in building a space rocket than recording that log file….
(2023-09-11, 03:49)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-09-11, 03:34)cubalibre77 Wrote: Yes, that what I ended up doing
Ok, so you copied the settings over from your previous install, which was set up for that other pc with different specs, now those settings are on the wrong pc. So just need to find which ones they are.
Have you been through all the settings in Settings>System?

Also, are all the drive letters and paths to your media the same as from the old pc? Othewise if Movies was on Drive e:\ on the old pc, and now on drive g:\, Kodi will never find them.

Post the Debug Log.

Yes, I made sure they are all the same drive letter. And there isn’t much settings changed. Just some skin add on and then all thumbnails, covers etc. it should just work.
(2023-09-11, 03:51)cubalibre77 Wrote: Thank you for trying to help, but I think I would have more luck in building a space rocket than recording that log file….
It's not that hard. It's just 4 steps.
You telling me you can't go to Settings>System>Logging and enable one setting??
If that is the case, then I don't hold much hope that you actually checked the Settings in Settings>System.
My Signature
(2023-09-11, 04:10)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-09-11, 03:51)cubalibre77 Wrote: Thank you for trying to help, but I think I would have more luck in building a space rocket than recording that log file….
It's not that hard. It's just 4 steps.
You telling me you can't go to Settings>System>Logging and enable one setting??
If that is the case, then I don't hold much hope that you actually checked the Settings in Settings>System.
I have no idea if I made it or not......there were this file that needed to be created and typed something in, and I dont understand any of it.

vujucoboto.kodi (paste)
All I did was restart kodi, started up a movie and played it for a few seconds.
What tone mapping are you using for HDR videos?
(2023-09-11, 14:09)Hitcher Wrote: What tone mapping are you using for HDR videos?

Dont know what that is, and I cant find any settings for it anywhere. Maybe its not in this old version of Kodi Im using; 18.0-Leia_rc1
In the log file I recorded I opened and played the movie Wall-E. In that particular movie the highlights are so blown out that you cant even see EVE (the white robot) in some scenes when she is against a white background. Its so extreme! And if I open the file with VLC it looks perfect, and it has always looked perfect before in Kodi. I find it very strange. And other movies are very dark instead of blown out highlights, contrasts, colors......everything just look bad Undecided
Well you're playing an HDR movie on a non-HDR setup with a non-HDR version of Kodi.
I don't think v18 supported HDR, there is nothing in the logs indicating so at least. For a fair comparison try a VLC version of 2019 :-) but that's not really the point.

The current v20.2 supports HDR and should be OK on your pc.

Some skins were not updated for v20 as you found out. There are still plenty of choices in the official repository and many more in the skinning sub-forum.

Missing movies / shows: debug log with 20.2 needed to confirm, but the source scrapers likely need to be changed (some were deprecated)

I'm not sure if skipping versions during upgrade always works, maybe go to v18.9 (https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows...ia-x64.exe) and 19.5 (https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows...ix-x64.exe) before 20.2
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bad picture after system change0