Bad picture after system change
This old version of Kodi has been working flawlessly all the time. I wonder if it can be a hardware problem…..the new graphics card? That for some reason doesn’t work with Kodi. ….
(2023-09-12, 00:28)cubalibre77 Wrote: This old version of Kodi has been working flawlessly all the time.
It's pretty old and no longer supported. Ideally you should upgrade to v20.2
Geez, you are using a extremely powerful i9-11900K with an AMD Radeon RX 5700 card. There is no reason to be stuck on the outdated v18.

If you do upgrade to v20.2, I would start fresh instead of installing over the top of v18.
You can backup your existing v18 setup (you already know how this is done)... https://kodi.wiki/view/Backup#Windows

Anyway, try this...
Exit Kodi
Go to C:\Users\Nikla\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata
Rename the guisettings.xml to guisettingsOLD.xml
Restart Kodi.
You will need to go through your settings again and set them to your preference because the above steps deleted them.
Play your movie. Are you still having problems?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-09-12, 00:36)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-09-12, 00:28)cubalibre77 Wrote: This old version of Kodi has been working flawlessly all the time.
It's pretty old and no longer supported. Ideally you should upgrade to v20.2
Geez, you are using a extremely powerful i9-11900K with an AMD Radeon RX 5700 card. There is no reason to be stuck on the outdated v18.

If you do upgrade to v20.2, I would start fresh instead of installing over the top of v18.
You can backup your existing v18 setup (you already know how this is done)... https://kodi.wiki/view/Backup#Windows

Anyway, try this...
Exit Kodi
Go to C:\Users\Nikla\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata
Rename the guisettings.xml to guisettingsOLD.xml
Restart Kodi.
You will need to go through your settings again and set them to your preference because the above steps deleted them.
Play your movie. Are you still having problems?

Apparently I can only do 9 posts here in a 24 hour period…..what’s up with that?

I tried what you suggested but it didn’t help.

I now tried installing windows 10 with the promise that all files was going to be intact, but everything is gone:-( , and after installing Kodi and trying to play a video, the screen is black with only sound.

This is driving me crazy!!

I guess I have to do the windows 11 upgrade and install everything from the beginning again…..
I tried to upgrade to windows 11 again, but only got to 50% and Rhen there was an error. So I had to do a clean install from the recovery partition and then I could do the upgrade to windows 11.

I have tried several different version of Kodi now, but non is working at all together with my backup. The skin isn’t working, addons isn’t working, my library is gone etc. the only version I can run is this old one 18.0. But I still have tried playing movies on each install, and there hasn’t been any difference.

It seems like all hdr movies are getting WAY to bright…..it’s unwatchable. And the non hdr movies are WAY too dark.

I noticed when playing a movie and going in to video settings and turning off tone mapping makes the picture look 80% better, but only when it’s a hdr movie. The non hdr movies are still extremely dark.

I really want to get this to work just as it did on my old system, but I don’t know what to do….
@cubalibre77

We need a Debug Log from v20.2 that captures you playing the problem movie.
The old v18 log does not have any hdr logging, so it's not good to diagnose the issue.
Please create this using a new Kodi data folder, not an upgrade from your old v18 data folder. (..\Roaming\Kodi\..)
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-09-13, 04:25)Karellen Wrote: @cubalibre77

We need a Debug Log from v20.2 that captures you playing the problem movie.
The old v18 log does not have any hdr logging, so it's not good to diagnose the issue.
Please create this using a new Kodi data folder, not an upgrade from your old v18 data folder. (..\Roaming\Kodi\..)

I am done installing these different versions. There are no difference between. And each time it messes everything up, so I have to uninstall everything and then copy all my backup files back in, and it takes forever each time.

I’m starting to think that it hasn’t got anything to do with Kodi. I mean…..the software is exactly the same. The only thing that has changed is the hardware. And I don’t think the motherboard or the cpu has anything to do with this…..so maybe it’s the graphics card?

I don’t know if my old card will fit on this motherboard or not…..but maybe I should try that….
(2023-09-13, 04:41)cubalibre77 Wrote: I am done installing these different versions
Fair enough. Can't force you to do it, so understand that support will most likely end here as we have nothing to work with.

(2023-09-13, 04:41)cubalibre77 Wrote: And each time it messes everything up, so I have to uninstall everything and then copy all my backup files back in, and it takes forever each time.
I have no understanding of the extreme measures you have undertaken. Kodi does not work so you uninstall your OS, then revert to an older OS, then find it doesn't work, so your reinstall the latest OS.
A bit like slicing off your hand due to a broken fingernail.

(2023-09-13, 04:41)cubalibre77 Wrote: so maybe it’s the graphics card?
I am about 99% sure it is GPU related. Maybe the wrong drivers are installed? No idea.

(2023-09-13, 04:41)cubalibre77 Wrote: I don’t know if my old card will fit on this motherboard or not…..but maybe I should try that….
Again, some pretty extreme actions.
My Signature
We need to see a debug log playing a movie on a clean Kodi install without using your old backup data.
I wanted to rule out the Windows 11 part, thats why I wanted to go back to Windows 10 to see if things worked there or not. And trying my old graphics card on this new motherboard is the same.....If it works with my old card, then I know for certain it is related to the GPU.

So.....I uninstalled Kodi again, a long with all the backup files in roaming. Installed the latest version of Kodi, and when trying to play a movie now the whole screen flashes like crazy between completely black and the extremely overblown picture. It also lags and freezes.

Here is the debug log;

akaqatopol.kodi (paste)
(2023-09-13, 11:13)cubalibre77 Wrote: Here is the debug log;
akaqatopol.kodi (paste)
Thanks. Hopefully @CrystalP will be able to find the problem.
Seems that HDR mode keeps switching itself off. Line 1409 HDR is enabled, then immediately disabled and that keeps repeating itself throughout the log.

Could you also change the following on your system:
1. You have a desktop refresh rate of 59Hz. Can you change that to either 50 or 60Hz depending on which country you live in.
2. Change your audio settings to WASAPI Denon. Directsound is not the best choice.
My Signature
(2023-09-13, 11:55)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-09-13, 11:13)cubalibre77 Wrote: Here is the debug log;
akaqatopol.kodi (paste)
Thanks. Hopefully @CrystalP will be able to find the problem.
Seems that HDR mode keeps switching itself off. Line 1409 HDR is enabled, then immediately disabled and that keeps repeating itself throughout the log.

Could you also change the following on your system:
1. You have a desktop refresh rate of 59Hz. Can you change that to either 50 or 60Hz depending on which country you live in.
2. Change your audio settings to WASAPI Denon. Directsound is not the best choice.
This was a clean new install without adding or changing anything. I always use WASAPI, otherwise Dolby Atmos doesnt work. I have noticed that I cant switch on HDR in Windows......as soon as I flick the switch it just switches off by itself. At the same time I dont know If I have had that turned on before. Everything just worked fine with the old system, so I haven´t had any reason to check or change any settings at all. I have now also noticed that when Im surfing the web using either Edge or Google chrome, some webpages I visit, the whole screen dims down. It also dims down when starting a movie in VLC, so its not perfect there either to be honest.

But whats up with this new flickering in the latest version of Kodi? It flashes like crazy.....stutters.....freezes, and also the audio doesnt synk and is all messed up. Also.....when all this is happening I cant move the mouse cursor......its like stuck in the middle of the screen...
UPDATE;

I went to the extreme and put in my old Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, and all works great.

But of course I want to use my new GPU, so what is causing this conflict with Kodi…..
The inability to switch to HDR in Windows must be solved.
Otherwise you have to disable the "Use HDR capabilities" setting to make Kodi remain in SDR.
Refresh rate doesn't matter that much at this point, just don't set something crazy that will exceed the available hdmi bandwidth. Windows doesn't protect you very well against it.

I saw the inability to engage HDR once and it was due to a power-related option of Windows (in HDR options I believe). It was set to conserve power by default and once changed, HDR worked fine.

With AMD + Windows 11 + v20.2 you're going to hit a refresh rate switch bug in case you enable that option. It's being worked on. Change one of those 3 things and the problem disappears (use Win 10, or v20.1, or nVidia).
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2023-09-13, 16:14)CrystalP Wrote: The inability to switch to HDR in Windows must be solved.
Otherwise you have to disable the "Use HDR capabilities" setting to make Kodi remain in SDR.
Refresh rate doesn't matter that much at this point, just don't set something crazy that will exceed the available hdmi bandwidth. Windows doesn't protect you very well against it.

I saw the inability to engage HDR once and it was due to a power-related option of Windows (in HDR options I believe). It was set to conserve power by default and once changed, HDR worked fine.

With AMD + Windows 11 + v20.2 you're going to hit a refresh rate switch bug in case you enable that option. It's being worked on. Change one of those 3 things and the problem disappears (use Win 10, or v20.1, or nVidia).
I have tried many different version of Kodi and it still doesnt work. I even tried installing Windows 10 and it didnt work. The only thing that worked was installing my old GPU. I guess I have to buy another GPU to make it work then?

And as someone said.....HDR wasnt even supported in Kodi 18.0, but the picture was amazing (Even if it was HDR or not)

I have now installed Kodi 18.0 again, because nothing else works with my backup.... Undecided
I have now ordered a new GPU for $650.....I really hope that will work, or Im fucked(probably cant return it if it doesn´t work)

But if it works, It would be nice If I some how could update Kodi to a newer version. No matter what version I have tried, there is always problems with plugins and addons that doesn´t work......or a huge part of my library is missing.....and I really don´t want to spend weeks putting all that together again. I really don´t understand why you just cant update, and everything will be just the same, and hopefully better....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bad picture after system change0