Any suggestions on how to stream encrypted RTSP content through Kodi?
Hello there,

I've been searching for a way to let Kodi stream the encrypted RTSP from Hikvision DVR. I have the RTSP stream URL which will send encrypted stream.
I can stream the RTSP from VLC only if I turn off the "Stream encryption" else VLC is showing grey video which is expected as it cannot decode the encrypted content.

I'm looking for a way if I can stream it through Kodi using any addon that's available or if I need to create one. If I need to create one, would anyone point me in the right direction.

For the new addon, I've thought of some approach:
# Receive the encrypted content from RTSP server.
# Decrypt the content on-the-fly and place it somewhere in the filesystem.
# Pass the decrypted file path to Kodi as a playable listItem.

However, I can see this approach will fill-up the HDD space as I have to cache the content locally before making Kodi to read it. So, I'm interested to know if there's any way I can directly feed the decrypted content directly to Kodi i.e., RTSP Server > Encrypted Content > Kodi Addon > Decrypted Content > Kodi Demuxer (or something similar).

*If I can directly feed the raw content into Kodi instead of using the playable ListItem approach, then I can work to find a way to decrypt the content on-the-fly approach.

Please advise if you have any insights.

Thank you!
Thread moved to video support, as it's a (slightly) better fit for support than video addons.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
if anything you would be looking at using inputstream adaptive for direct write of encrypted streams into kodi - https://github.com/xbmc/inputstream.adaptive/wiki

with the caveats that i am not sure it supports RTSP or the encryption method used by your server

if nothing else browsing the code with show how to get the binary stream into kodi
Thank you!!! I'll give this a try and review the code.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any suggestions on how to stream encrypted RTSP content through Kodi?0