Unable to import videodb.xml
I accidentally wiped out my library database.  Not to worry, I do regular backups and have very recent version.  However, when I go to import the videodb.xml file, kodi doesn't see it.  The file is present, but when I navigate to the backup folder from within settings, nothing appears to restore.  Why doesn't' kodi see the file?

Thanks
is everyone supposed to guess what operating system kodi is on?
(2023-10-04, 15:31)jepsizofye Wrote: is everyone supposed to guess what operating system kodi is on?

Sorry, my bad.  

I am using Libreelec v11.0.3 on RPi4 with a MySQL DB on the backend.

Thank you
i see, well that is not a restrictive operating system where the system is blocking you - more like user error

make sure you are following the steps in https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library/Video

try -

SSH to LibreELEC and verify you can see the drive/files
put any random video file in the same location then attempt to play it within Kodi - in case Kodi is looking for an incorrect filename

more specific help may be available on the libreelec forums - https://forum.libreelec.tv

(keep in mind that you are working with Linux)
(2023-10-04, 17:53)jepsizofye Wrote: i see, well that is not a restrictive operating system where the system is blocking you - more like user error

I don't know what happened to my previous reply, but its not here.  Perhaps I failed to press send,  Not sure. 

This is not user error. Restoring the backup is not rocket science.  Its simply that Kodi, or Libreelec is not seeing the xml file.  The file is there, but it's not being seen in when I navigate to the backup location.

I found this document earlier.

Import-export library/Video

I export my library to multiple files.   Reading this document explains that I can't restore from a multi-file backup
Quote: 
Separate Files
If you exported your library using the Export to Separate Files option, then you must use the normal scraping process to re-import the data from the NFO Files. eg Update Library option.
So my question is; what is the point of being able to backup using multi-files if a person can't restore from it?   I have to basically rescan each and every movie by hand. There are 1200 movies in my library, and this is very time consuming.   I make regular backups, I should be able to restore from that backup.

Thank you
(2023-10-04, 13:36)rosede Wrote: However, when I go to import the videodb.xml file, kodi doesn't see it. 

(2023-10-05, 00:16)rosede Wrote: I export my library to multiple files.   Reading this document explains that I can't restore from a multi-file backup

multiple file export creates nfo files and images side by side the media they belong to and does not generate a videodb.xml
(2023-10-05, 00:16)rosede Wrote: So my question is; what is the point of being able to backup using multi-files if a person can't restore from it?
You can by using
(2023-10-05, 00:16)rosede Wrote: Update Library option.
(2023-10-05, 00:16)rosede Wrote: So my question is; what is the point of being able to backup using multi-files if a person can't restore from it?   
Of course you can. You must have read the comment wrong. What makes you think you can't when you even quoted the part that says "re-import the data from the NFO Files. eg Update Library option"
And I hope you took note of the warnings for the Single File Method that you are using...
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
It's taken a lot of work, but I have the majority of my movie collection restored.  Still working on the TV collection.   

I decided to do an Export of the current database.  I misspoke previously.  I am using the "Single File" export option.    I export to a network share and when I looked at the share, there is a top folder and then subfolders including:  actors, movies, moviesets musicvideos, tvshows and......videodb.xml.    I guess the reason why I was thinking multiple files was because of all of the subfolders that the export creates.

I added an addon called "PlexKodiConnect".  The regular Plex addon has been broken since last December, so I decided to try something else to access a remote Plex share.  I added this addon to two Pi's.  It worked on one, but didn't work on another.  So I decided to remove it from the one that it was not working and I was planning on adding it back on.  After removal, I found several sources labeled "PlexKodiConnect Masterlock Hack" and I decided to remove them.  For whatever reason, these were tied to my database and as soon as I removed the first one, it wiped out about 90% of my database and that is what brings me to needing to re-import my backup.

Since I am rebuilding this by hand, I guess it doesn't matter if I can't restore the xml file.  Just disappointed that the restore option doesn't work.

Thanks
- in my opinion only -

in a scenario where the network appliances (nas) has been setup with a static ip and the sharing mechanisms do not change (shares that can be accessed from the same smb:// or nfs:// url consistently)
- it would be better to just keep a backup of the database files themselves, under Database/MyVideos(xxx).db and MyMusic(xx).db

i personally have been keeping such a backup where i use a selective tar and i have been able to transfer and restore to multiple devices with 100% success, i use this from a bash script ran from inside the .kodi path

Code:
date=$(date +"%Y%m%d")
tar -czvf Kodi$date.tar.gz .kodi --exclude={Thumbnails/*,Textures*.db,*.pyc,temp/*,__pycache__,addons/packages/*}

where my server is always at the same ip and my files can always be accessed at the same paths

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to import videodb.xml0