Kodi on Fedora 39
Crashlog here

Kodi started with "kodi --debug"

I updated from Fedora 38 to 39.
If I clear out the "addons" directory, it works, or at least it starts up fine. As soon as I add a scraper, it crashes on startup. I tried The TVDB v4 and TMDb TV Shows wich is the standard sollution.
I tried the flatpack release, but that doesn't help.

I found an issue way back when with libpython3.10 that was bugged. Please don't tell me .12 has that issue too and I have to wait for Fedora to update. Is there a way for me to use another python library? Or am I way off in my own diagnose.
3.12 is probably ok.

The problem is that is 5 weeks old, or should I say, young.  Most external addons aren't compatible with 3.12 and will crash kodi.
I would understand that, if at least the kodi team addons would work. 3.12 was released over a month ago and you'd think a scraper was fairly important to update. Or at least I would think that.
I'm told by others it does run fine for them on F39, so it's probably something I did. Too bad I'm not savvy enough to figure it out myself Smile

Looks like nobody else does either. That's a bit of a bummer to be honest. I really like kodi...
Kodi support for 3.12 is announced for Kodi 21 alpha, so probably most addons from the kodi team are already compatible. For scrapers from the outside world, some aren't even maintained anymore but still function (without being ever updated anymore). I've identified those which aren't compatible with the web debugger addon and most aren't. And there is no yet available automated python conversion tool to 3.12. They stop at 3.11.

I can confirm if you remove them from /addons/, kodi starts normally, but is pretty useless.

Don't start me on Fedora. I think moving to 3.12 is a pretty bad idea. I too had to downgrade from F39 to F38. From a 3 weeks old fresh F38 install.

Tartube too broke. I successfully converted it to 3.12 though.
I did what you could call a hail mary. I already fumbled my whole fedora thing so I just did a fresh install. F39, for some reason.
Anyway, now even without addons it just crashes.
Guess I'll just have to read for a while ;-)
(2023-11-15, 15:01)zeveroare Wrote: I would understand that, if at least the kodi team addons would work. 3.12 was released over a month ago and you'd think a scraper was fairly important to update. Or at least I would think that.
I'm told by others it does run fine for them on F39, so it's probably something I did. Too bad I'm not savvy enough to figure it out myself Smile

Looks like nobody else does either. That's a bit of a bummer to be honest. I really like kodi...
Kodi is developed and tested with python 3.11.6: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...N3-VERSION
Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

RPMFusion on their side managed to release a version 20.2 of Kodi build on python 3.12.0 a few months ago Might be unstable.
https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fed...ackages/k/
It's now part of Fedora 39, released last week.

Best!
(2023-11-16, 07:22)wsnipex Wrote:
(2023-11-15, 15:01)zeveroare Wrote: I would understand that, if at least the kodi team addons would work. 3.12 was released over a month ago and you'd think a scraper was fairly important to update. Or at least I would think that.

Kodi is developed and tested with python 3.11.6: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...N3-VERSION
If you have the time, would you mind having a look at the crashlog? I/We are running on assumptions here. I installed a 21 beta flatpack yesterday and that has issues too, so maybe there is another problem. It started fine, untill I copied my own data. I'm going to be trying with just the database files tonight, but still.
Starting over would kinda suck (pardon my French), but if that's what it takes...

Thanks for your time.
Just upgraded to Fedora 39 myself and had the same issue. Installing Kodi from flatpak and migrating all of the files seems to have done the trick. Flatpak files will be located in /.var/app/tv.kodi.Kodi

Good luck!
I'll try that again tonight, I did that before with a non-beta version too.
I'll be rebooting the NAS too. Maybe that solves something.

*cross fingers*
Did the NAS rebot, didn't help
Tried flatpak both release and beta, didn't help

Went back to F38, imported data, no issue, can watch and update library again.

Guess I'll wait to update until some time next year.
Got it to work, at last.

Procedure:

- Uninstall kodi on F38
- Install flatpak kodi instead
- Copy or symlink ~/.kodi/ content to ~/.var/app/tv.kodi.Kodi/data/
- Upgrade F38 to F39 using CLI! dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=39

If something goes bad with the F38 upgrade, follow the steps recommended in https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/qui...a-offline/

That is all. Your kodi installation will now work on F39 as it's shipped with its own version of python and not using the dreaded F39 python 3.12.
if you use flakpak the fedora version shouldn't make any difference

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Fedora 390