Problems with switching monitors? No access
I have connected a Pioneer VSX-830-K to my Lenovo IdeaPad 3 17ABA7 via HDMI cable. The Pioneer VSX-830-K is connected with an LG 3D plasma TV 50PM470S 127 with an HDMI cable.

If I start Kodi without the TV on, I often no longer have access to the notebook having Kodi in front, the mouse pointer moves but I can't use Kodi, not click on anything, no response, I can no longer use the entire computer then, it doesn't respond, the music is playing, apparently other programs keep running too, but I can't access them, not even the task manager. I then simply have to turn off the notebook using the power switch. I can switch between the monitors with WIN+P or other keys, then sometimes I can get access again, but at some point that no longer works.

Somehow the problem seems to be with the switching between monitors. When the TV is on and I start Kodi everything works.

What can I do to resolve the problem?

Windows 11
I'm not that familiar with your hardware, but suggest The TV be operational, the AVR turned on prior to display switch, then launch Kodi on the TV and everything should function; if one of the devices is not operational, handshaking will not be accomplished and a default mode will be saved, next launch will activate the saved default mode. This method also goes for shutdown, Kodi should be stopped prior for the AVR & TV to be turned off.

Still having issues? please post a URL link to your debug log posted to a public paste-bin.
Quote:The TV be operational, the AVR turned on prior to display switch, then launch Kodi on the TV and everything should function;

Yes, that's how I do it. But I want to use Kodi also without the TV (like I did on the last Win 11 installation on the same Notebook). When I open it then it is not accessible, respectively only for a very short time, 1, 2 seconds or so.

Is there a setting for the graphics card I could change or for Win otherwise?
(2023-12-20, 03:50)-Wilbur- Wrote: But I want to use Kodi also without the TV
You want to use the the laptop display at times (hitting \ for windowed mode, then use the display switch?) At launch Kodi interrogates the res to use, player also sets the render mode/res on play. A proper debug log might show the laptop is running into a threshold issue or the gfx engine is just not up to the effort you're asking of it. My suspicion is odd-ball screen res on the laptop is swamping the gfx engine in conversion. (try utilizing a whitelist)
OK, thank you. Here a log:

https://pastebin.com/f3Ypkkg3
There have been changes to Omega for skin support, ensure you have compatibility. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/releases/tag/21.0b2-Omega
Quote:If I start Kodi without the TV on, I often no longer have access
If the display doesn't achieve handshaking between devices, Kodi will default. High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.

Quote:When the TV is on and I start Kodi everything works.
TaDa... That's the idea.
Sorry, I do not have any idea of computers, coding, programs.

Quote: TaDa... That's the idea.
Sorry, the idea what for?
Quote:Sorry, the idea what for?
When the TV is on, starting Kodi everything works! That's the solution. The problem is that you are ignoring handshaking as listed in the link High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, blame the regulators not the software.
OK, aber das klingt nach einer unglaublich schlechten Idee. So könnte ich Kodi nicht am Notebook sehen / nutzen. Vorher ging das doch immer, warum jetzt nicht mehr?

Quote:The problem is that you are ignoring handshaking as listed in the link High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, blame the regulators not the software.

I do not have any idea what that means. What regulators?
-Wilbur- Wrote:I do not have any idea what that means. What regulators?
You have run into HDCP or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection as indicated here. Brought into life by the FCC and regulators to protect high bandwidth copying, the general public was notified.

Solution: prioritize the start-up device in order as TV, AVR, PC then run Kodi and handshaking should be satisfied.

BTW: enlish only please.
Quote:You have run into HDCP or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection as indicated here.
OK, many thanks. But I wonder why it worked ALWAYS and why it does not anymore after reinstalling Win one month or so ago.

Quote: Solution: prioritize the start-up device in order as TV, AVR, PC then run Kodi and handshaking should be satisfied.
I am not quite sure to understand, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem of not being able to run Kodi on the computer.
So first turn on the TV, after start Kodi. Yes, That's exactly how I always did / do it, but unfortunately it no longer works.

Quote: BTW: enlish only please.
Very sorry about that.

I meant:
OK, but that sounds like an incredibly bad idea. So I wouldn't be able to see/use Kodi on my notebook. It always worked before, why not now?

Alright, there is apparently no known solution to the problem. Nevertheless many thanks!
The solution has been offered, post #10 (prioritize the start-up device in order as TV, AVR, PC then run Kodi and handshaking should be satisfied.)
Quote:why it worked ALWAYS and why it does not anymore after reinstalling Win one month or so ago.
perhaps your re-install of the o/s with new drivers had something to do with it? You might get lucky without wasapi in your system settings.
Quote: The solution has been offered, post #10 (prioritize the start-up device in order as TV, AVR, PC then run Kodi and handshaking should be satisfied.)
Sorry, I wouldn't call that a solution (when I cannot use Kodi on the Notebook without turning on the TV, so I cannot watch a video with Kodi on the Notebook).

Quote:You might get lucky without wasapi in your system settings.
What does that mean? Anything I should do?
It sounds to me like Kodi is opening properly on the TV as expected when the TV is on, but then when you turn off the TV, Kodi remains "orphaned" on the "phantom" TV display which has been turned off and it isn't automatically moving to the laptop screen.

Try manually moving Kodi to the Laptop screen before turning off the TV...

1) With TV and Laptop screens both on, hit "\" which changes Kodi from full-screen to windowed mode
2) use your mouse to drag Kodi from the TV to the laptop screen
3) hit the "\" key again to make Kodi go full screen again, this time on the Laptop screen
4) now turn off the TV and Kodi should stay displayed on the Laptop

Is that what you are trying to accomplish?

Cheers
TRJB
Many thanks!

Quote: Is that what you are trying to accomplish?
No, I wouldn't think so. I just want to use / start Kodi like ALWAYS before just by pressing a shortcut (with TV on, without, no matter what monitor is turned on) without losing access to the computer / freezing the computer / strange behaviour. So use it like any other program that can be run / started ALWAYS / in any situation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with switching monitors? No access0