CMake Dependency Version Detection
This is a brief question about how the dependency version detection works for the XBMC project. Following the build instructions, when I get to the point of running "cmake" I got the error:
Quote:Could NOT find ASS: Found unsuitable version "0.14.0", but required is at
  least "0.15.0" (found /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so)
Note: This is all in WSL2. I know it doesn't make sense to build in WSL2, I was just experimenting. But I would still like to understand what's going on here.

With my Ubuntu version, 0.14.0 was the highest in the apt repo, so I downloaded 0.17.2 manually and replaced the file from the error (the symlink). Still I got the error...

I upgrade my Ubuntu version so that Libass9 0.15.1 was available through apt, reinstalled libass9... when checking the version with "apt show", the version was 0.15.1, when checking the version with pkg-config it was 0.17.2 (I installed a .deb at some point too).

Still I get the exact same error.

The error must be wrong, at least the file path, because I get it even when that file is completely gone.

Going through some of the cmake files it's hard to tell if finding the version of a dependency is written as part of the XBMC project or if it's coming from cmake itself.

Thank you for any information on this. I plan to make several contributions in the future.
not sure why you are installing binary packages when source packages are needed to build things

"libass-dev"

if you run in a real distro you can just run "apt build-dep" see https://fig.io/manual/apt/build-dep

-----

yes, this is likely to go horribly wrong and take far more effort than is required when using the inept WSL2 but do whatever you want it isn't going to hurt anyone
Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate the information.

Do you have any idea why it was looking at this file: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so

That's not for libass-dev, I don't believe? Is something wrong with the error message??
no clue, i do the build-dep on debian, run the commands from the wiki and 20m later i have a compiled kodi ready to run
Thumbs Up 
Ok, thank you again! Linux is so mysterious sometimes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CMake Dependency Version Detection0