Information Kodi and HDR10+ support on Windows, HDR formats supported in Wiki needed?
Hi

Forgive me but I have done my research and couldn't find clear answers to 2 questions I have:

1) Does Kodi 20 (or any version) support HDR10+ on Windows in .mkv (Geforce 3080 connected via HDMI to Samsung Q70R which supports HLG, HDR10 and HDR10+)?
When I play HDR10+ .mkv my TV only says it's in HDR mode (there is no HDR10+ badge) so I'm unable to tell it's actually displays dynamic HDR metadata correctly.

2) When .mkv contains multiple HDR formats e.g. HDR10 and HDR10+ or HDR10, HDR10+ and DV, which HDR format would Kodi actually play? Does Kodi get supported HDR modes from TV EDID? So if e.g. TV's EDID states it can display HDR10+ would dynamic data be passed by Kodi to the display?

I know there are multiple questions re Kodi on Windows and DV support in .mkv. It took me a few hours to get to find an answer to DV in .mkv on Windows question. At the time of writing, from what I understood, DV in .mkv in Kodi 20 is not supported by the main dev branch, people say to check some forks.

Idea: it would be really beneficial (e.g. to keep forums as clean as possible) to update Kodi Wiki and include a section of HDR formats supported by device?
For example it's really easy to find an answer to set up audio passthrough on Wiki but HDR formats supported are just not there or what actually happens if a file includes a few HDR formats.

Thanks.
(2024-01-10, 11:38)tom_7226 Wrote: 1) Does Kodi 20 (or any version) support HDR10+ on Windows

NO   (but is played in HDR mode as regular HDR10)

(2024-01-10, 11:38)tom_7226 Wrote: 2) When .mkv contains multiple HDR formats e.g. HDR10 and HDR10+ or HDR10, HDR10+ and DV, which HDR format would Kodi actually play?

On Windows only HDR10, Android also supports DV
Thanks for answers.

May I ask what holds Kodi from supporting/playing HDR10+ on Windows? I have heard for DV it was licensing issue but HDR10+ is open source so licence should not be a problem.

I have read that Kodi 21 will support DV and HDR10+ in .mkv on supported devices. Does it include Windows?
fwiw if you want to use an x86/64 PC for an HTPC you can get something a lot closer to HDR10+ by using LibreELEC, it's free from the constraints of windows api and drivers
HDR10+ is royalty free but is not an open source format as there is no publically avaiable standard documentation. Formats such a DV & HDR10+ are only avaiable on Android compatible devices as there is a mechanism to offload the video to the hardware decoders included on these devices. On Windows devices the hardware support is virtually non-exsistant and those that do exsist are soley for use with Microsft approved apps such as Youtube and Netflix, so there is no mechanism on Windows that we can use, even if the hardware support is avaiable.
Windows only supports HDR10 output to displays and Kodi takes advantage of it.

There may be undocumented APIs for HLG or DV output, but nothing for "normal" third-party applications.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks all for your answers.

Not sure if it helps or not but I know Nvidia released a driver with HDR10+ Gaming support in Nov 2022. The article states:
Quote:Using our new NVAPI v2 HDR instructions, developers can add HDR10+ to their games, enabling compatible displays to take advantage of more accurate color and brightness reproduction.
HDR10+ is especially beneficial as games and other content can query HDR luminance and color information directly from the display to perform dynamic tone mapping that is optimal for each display's HDR capabilities, helping to faithfully reproduce the artistic intent of content creators, and consistently deliver great HDR experiences for GeForce gamers. 

Maybe their API could be used to put the display in HDR10+ state?
No good for us as we currently only support the Microsoft provided API's on Windows, and there has been zero interest within the Team on working with proprietary vendor specific API's.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi and HDR10+ support on Windows, HDR formats supported in Wiki needed?0