Solved Kodi hard freeze
Hello all.

I recently got a Minisforum Mini PC: https://store.minisforum.com/collections...3860422901

I installed Windows 11. The HDMI goes to a Receiver, which is 5.1 and connected to a 1080p projector. This setup worked perfectly with my previous system: an i3 2nd gen with 8Gb.

Since I started using it, I've been getting hard freezes (no response to CTRL-ALT-DEL, must use the button or disconnect) every time I stop a movie. It only happens in Kodi. I've tried even games such as Cities:Skylines II, and it works fine.

I've completely deleted and reinstalled Kodi. Today I installed 20.3. I didn't even populate the library, instead ran a movie from the files section. It played fine and, after I stopped and went to navigating the menus, it froze again.

Weirdest thing is: for a moment it makes a sound when I click the keys, even if it's not responding.

I tried using it in Linux, but the codecs were buggy and the sound was awful. I'll have to tinker with it. No freezes, though.

Has anyone had such an experience?

Thanks.
Minisforum UM773 w/KODI last stable.
Synology DS416 NAS over ethernet.
Pioneer VSX-519 receiver, Optoma 1080p projector, 5.1 speaker setup.
Without a proper debug log, it's just a guess. Looking at my 6 year old gfx engine vs yours, it appears that your gfx engine shares video memory. You might consider something like libelec.

To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Thanks. I'll enable debugging and test until the error happens again.

Today I installed Linux Mint, and then KODI. I had to disable hardware accelerated video decoding because of green artifacts. Everything worked fine (the problem happens very early in Windows) up to a moment in which left a movie running and it unexpectedly froze.

I fired up memtest just in case: passed.

I'll be uploading a log as soon as it happens again.

Thanks again.
(2024-01-12, 18:20)PatK Wrote: Without a proper debug log, it's just a guess. Looking at my 6 year old gfx engine vs yours, it appears that your gfx engine shares video memory. You might consider something like libelec.

To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.
OK. I got it to happen. Here is the log: https://paste.kodi.tv/icupegecag.kodi

The first time, it froze as soon as I started it and tried to navigate inside settings.
The second time, I was able to do it. I tried different videos, skipping, etc. without anything happening. Then I started playing music randomly, until it happened at 2024-01-14 19:24:50.910
Quote:2024-01-14 19:24:50.910 T:3660    debug <general>: CInputManager::HandleKey: return (0xf00d) pressed, window 10502, action is Select
2024-01-14 19:24:50.910 T:3660    debug <general>: SELECT albumview.*,albumartistview.*  FROM albumview  JOIN albumartistview ON albumview.idAlbum = albumartistview.idAlbum  WHERE albumview.idAlbum = 786  ORDER BY albumartistview.iOrder
2024-01-14 19:24:50.911 T:3660    debug <general>: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayers(smb://SERVIDOR/music/assorted/Classics/UB40 - Red Red Wine.mp3)

After starting Red Red Wine, it stopped responding and the log info froze on screen. The system only responded to the volume keys.
It played Red Red Wine to the end, and that was it. No more responding. Not even CTRL-ALT-DEL. I had to use the power switch to kill it.

Interesting info:
Quote:2024-01-14 19:24:57.100 T:3660    debug <general>: Keyboard: scancode: 0x0, sym: 0x00, unicode: 0x00, modifier: 0x0
2024-01-14 19:24:57.101 T:3660     info <general>: Skipped 1 duplicate messages..
2024-01-14 19:24:57.100 T:3660    debug <general>: CInputManager::HandleKey: long-0 (0x100f200, obc-16838913) pressed, window 10502, action is
This happens many times as I press keys and nothing seems to work.
Quote:2024-01-14 19:24:56.257 T:2040    debug <general>: CMMNotificationClient::OnPropertyValueChanged: Changed device property of {0.0.0.00000000}.{7c512078-3fcb-40f8-9bad-029ee36b3098} is (9855c4cd-df8c-449c-a181-8191b68bd06c)#0
This is another interesting thing that happens. I guess it has to do with the audio device.
The MiniPC has 2 HDMI outputs. One is hooked up to a Pioneer receiver 5.1, the other one is hooked to a TV that I use as a monitor whenever I don't want to use the projector. This freezing has happened with the projector as well, though. I have configured the videos to allow passthrough.

PS: I had it connected in a similar way for years with a 2nd gen i3, the only difference being that the monitor was hooked up to a VGA output then.

UPDATE: I disabled the monitor as an audio device, disabled the passthrough, tweaked the keep audio device alive and directsound or wasapi: now it freezes as soon as I change the volume Angry Here is the latest log: https://paste.kodi.tv/awuroqinot.kodi

I reverted the changes, and it still hangs as soon as I change the volume. It's really frustrating.

Hope you can notice something else. Thank you.
You may be having network issues, make a local source and throw into it a few videos and see if you have playback problems.
It's difficult to say without having the hardware on hand but it smells like driver issues...
With simple audio playback of an .mp3 there isn't even anything fancy happening like refresh rate switch, changing video output formats or anything like that...
The audio output was even already in the correct mode in that log.
You could try WASAPI audio output just in case.
If the PC has a non-hdmi audio output you could try that, see if it has an effect (it's not a fix though)
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Ok. It seems solved the issue.

As I mentioned, I had one HDMI output for the monitor and the other for the receiver->projector (not always using the projector). I thought that could be messing things up. I plugged the monitor to the receiver, leaving only one HDMI output populated, and it hasn't frozen since.
Hopefully that was it, good luck.

Thread marked solved.
the same thing is happening  to me - did u ever find a solution? i am on the edge with this.....i have already tried any & all of the readily available potential fixes and nothing has helped. if you have any info that could help, i would be eternally grateful - thanks
Tongue 
oh nevermind i got lost

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi hard freeze0