Release 20.3 - It's say it's been released but it's not avaialable on current ppa.....
(2024-01-13, 19:48)CholasChungas Wrote: Bad news...
I had same question, why I don't see any Kodi update in my Ubuntu.
I don't want and I will never install Flatpak, so I will stay in Kodi 20.2 for long time...
So... install flatpak problably maintain the current 20.2 because it's used a different path respect the snap ways. Problably also the profile path (usually /home/user/.kodi) it's also be recreated in a totally different path.
I don't have info about kodi dependecies..... if i install kodi 20.3 all dependecies it's also neeed to be maintain via ppa or it's also be updated thru flatpak (inputstream for example) ?
(2024-01-13, 20:21)graysky Wrote: Another option is to switch distros to one that does offer up-to-date kodi packages.
Naaaaaa.. really not a great idea Smile ........ I believe that if someone chooses a distro it is because they use it well and find comfort with that distro:
then absurdly 90% of Linux distros are based on Debian (there was a graph somewhere: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...meline.svg) if i remember. so I think we're all in the same boat lol.
...only on your "little world" can you lay down the law...
(2024-01-13, 20:21)graysky Wrote: Another option is to switch distros to one that does offer up-to-date kodi packages.

Yes!, I installed Ubuntu only for Kodi repositories, so if I find such distro I have no problem to switch to.
(2024-01-13, 19:08)emveepee Wrote: t's not just Kodi,  once you get into the suite of binary addons it becomes much more complex and keeping all these addons up to date is a challenge.

True, but it's as easy to compile an (or all) addons as it is Kodi.  It is a learning curve, but one well worth taking.

(2024-01-13, 21:20)DjDiabolik Wrote: install flatpak

Flatpak version is maintained by a team member so you should be good with that.  AFAIK, it includes all the binary addons that would have been in the PPA.

Also, there is a snap version for use with Wayland on Ubuntu, but it's not maintained by a team member and I have no idea how well it might work.  For completeness I include the link here -> https://snapcraft.io/install/mir-kiosk-kodi/ubuntu
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2024-01-13, 21:20)DjDiabolik Wrote:  
Naaaaaa.. really not a great idea Smile ........ I believe that if someone chooses a distro it is because they use it well and find comfort with that distro:
then absurdly 90% of Linux distros are based on Debian (there was a graph somewhere: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...meline.svg) if i remember. so I think we're all in the same boat lol.
True!, I would prefer to stay with Debian, I feel comfortable with Debian minimal and adding what I need.
Anyway I want Kodi, so installing another distro is not problem at all. But Flakpak is not an option, so...
I installed Ubuntu because Kodi documentation say the way of Kodi in linux was Ubuntu + ppa kodi team.
Now the way of Kodi in linux is Flatpak.
Not my way sorry. I will stay in Kodi 20.2
Arch is a great distro.  Compiling with their build system is cake if you need to do it.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
having the official flatpak is great but it doesn't help if you are using GBM which is the recommended way to run kodi in a dedicated linux HTPC (the only way to get HDR support). Really sad that the ppa is not longer maintaned. Building from source in ubuntu used to be easy but unfortunately that's not the case in 23.10, the build errors out mid way

Hopefully someone will see the need of a ppa and eventually we will get some 3rd party ppa to fill the void
(2024-01-13, 23:43)htpcero Wrote: the build errors out mid way

Post a link to the build log then.  Probably someone can help.  I'm still on 22.04 but build Kodi most days from source for Linux-x11 and android.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks @black_eagle for replying - it seems Nexus is too old to be built on 23.10, I experimented some more (I am no dev but I built plenty of things from source over the years), the configure step goes well but make -j4 stops every few % with an generic "gmake Error 2" but bo specific error in the code is displayed. Running make again seems to resume (not sure if the resume is valid though), until a final real error pops up, while building the internal ffmpeg (the system ffmpeg is too new for nexus).

I ended up cloning the master branch (omega), and this one compiles smoothly in one shot with no errors nor stops (using the system ffmpeg). Next, I will try compiling the binary addons and test to see if kodi/omega is already usable, I might just wait until the omega final release as I am doing this in the family htpc. But at least I will know soon if buildlng from source works well in a recent ubuntus
(2024-01-13, 21:48)black_eagle Wrote: Flatpak version is maintained by a team member so you should be good with that.  AFAIK, it includes all the binary addons that would have been in the PPA.

Also, there is a snap version for use with Wayland on Ubuntu, but it's not maintained by a team member and I have no idea how well it might work.  For completeness I include the link here -> https://snapcraft.io/install/mir-kiosk-kodi/ubuntu

mmmmmmmmmm.... perhaps for me it is also the simplest solution as it requires the execution of a few command lines right ? there are a few doubts that assail me but it doesn't hurt to try, I think I won't cause disasters by trying in my operating system.

For example... before to install the current 20.3 from flatpak i need to "purge" the current 20.2 ? Or i need to maintain the current "ppa" to preserve all dependencies?

Another question it's.. the friend @htpcero makes this reply:
(2024-01-13, 23:43)htpcero Wrote: having the official flatpak is great but it doesn't help if you are using GBM which is the recommended way to run kodi in a dedicated linux HTPC (the only way to get HDR support). Really sad that the ppa is not longer maintaned. Building from source in ubuntu used to be easy but unfortunately that's not the case in 23.10, the build errors out mid way

Hopefully someone will see the need of a ppa and eventually we will get some 3rd party ppa to fill the void
I don't even know what that means "GBM"...How do I know what I'm using absurdly?

i.e. if i pass from ppa 20.2 to current flatpack 20.3 Do I lose any features? I don't think I can understand the real differences and it's correct "GBM" it's concern if you use wayland, or xorg on my os ? or not ?

I repeat, I'm not very knowledgeable in this aspect. and I admit it clearly Smile

(2024-01-13, 21:51)CholasChungas Wrote: True!, I would prefer to stay with Debian, I feel comfortable with Debian minimal and adding what I need.
Anyway I want Kodi, so installing another distro is not problem at all. But Flakpak is not an option, so...
I installed Ubuntu because Kodi documentation say the way of Kodi in linux was Ubuntu + ppa kodi team.
Now the way of Kodi in linux is Flatpak.
Not my way sorry. I will stay in Kodi 20.2
your choice is absolutely respectable........ Smile
Think of GBM mode as being able to run kodi without having to install a normal desktop environment in the linux box. That said, I ran kodi on X11/openbox in my old HTPC for 10 years and it's totally fine. So if you don't know what GBM is, chances are the flatpak will work great in your use case. I don't think you will miss any feature, it comes with the binary addons and everything else.
Also, you can install the flatpak in parallel with your regular .deb package installation, they don't interfere with each other.
(2024-01-14, 03:26)htpcero Wrote: Think of GBM mode as being able to run kodi without having to install a normal desktop environment in the linux box. That said, I ran kodi on X11/openbox in my old HTPC for 10 years and it's totally fine. So if you don't know what GBM is, chances are the flatpak will work great in your use case. I don't think you will miss any feature, it comes with the binary addons and everything else.
Also, you can install the flatpak in parallel with your regular .deb package installation, they don't interfere with each other.

I think I understand. somethigs like the kodi standalone distro usually used in single chip devices.... like OSMC or LibreElec can be usable on Raspberry Pi. A linux os based whitout the desktop environment but kodi as been run as standalone.

In my case i thinks if i use Kodi from desktop I think I'll use wayland for graphics........

About flatpack i don't understand.... i can unistall the current ppa content ? Like all kodi dependicies or not ? And the user profiles it's be shared from two different or the flatpack it's used a different path ? If yes... wich it's be used from newest .kodi and profile path ?
Just to save a little of the confusion, I've amended the wiki page for installation under Linux to note that the PPA is no longer being maintained and so is not now the recommended route to use.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I'm not a Linux person but it's possible to install .deb packages manually on Ubuntu, see https://help.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopg...stall.html

Although going by https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/kodi the Debian package is not yet updated to 20.3 either yet. However there is a maintainer so you could perhaps ask on https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=363611 what the plan is for 20.3.
@DjDiabolik Yes you can remove the deb packages "apt remove kodi*", and you can remove the ppa as well. Then google "flathub", and in that site, seatch for kodi and follow the instructions to install and run the flatpak, its quite easy and it works very well for many common use cases.

If you leave the debs installed that is OK too, you will get two desktop icons for kodi that will look the same, but one runs the new flatpak, and the other runs the old deb. Their configs are independent
(2024-01-13, 23:54)black_eagle Wrote: Post a link to the build log then.  Probably someone can help.  I'm still on 22.04 but build Kodi most days from source for Linux-x11 and android.

I have compiled the latest nightly successfully following instructiions from xbmc gituhub, but am stuck in the last step on creating the deb package so that i can install it on my linux laptop. It is not grunty enough to run compile jobs, so I am compiling on my desktop
Code:
gujal@server:~/kodi-build$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=22.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=jammy
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS"

gujal@server:~/kodi-build$ ls -l
total 71832
drwxrwxr-x 57 gujal gujal     4096 Jan 19 15:35 addons
drwxrwxr-x 96 gujal gujal     4096 Jan 19 15:33 build
-rw-rw-r--  1 gujal gujal   156766 Jan 19 15:32 CMakeCache.txt
-rw-rw-r--  1 gujal gujal    14582 Jan 19 15:32 CMakeDoxyfile.in
-rw-rw-r--  1 gujal gujal    20173 Jan 19 15:32 CMakeDoxygenDefaults.cmake
drwxrwxr-x 27 gujal gujal     4096 Jan 19 15:44 CMakeFiles
-rw-rw-r--  1 gujal gujal  1659947 Jan 19 15:32 cmake_install.cmake
-rw-rw-r--  1 gujal gujal  4505289 Jan 19 15:32 compile_commands.json
-rw-rw-r--  1 gujal gujal   226030 Jan 19 15:32 CTestTestfile.cmake
drwxrwxr-x  8 gujal gujal     4096 Jan 19 15:32 _deps
-rwxrwxr-x  1 gujal gujal 66590304 Jan 19 15:44 kodi-x11
-rwxrwxr-x  1 gujal gujal    61520 Jan 19 15:32 kodi-xrandr
-rw-rw-r--  1 gujal gujal    20336 Jan 19 15:44 libkodi.a
-rw-rw-r--  1 gujal gujal   248379 Jan 19 15:32 Makefile
drwxrwxr-x  3 gujal gujal     4096 Jan 19 15:35 media
drwxrwxr-x  9 gujal gujal     4096 Jan 19 15:35 system
drwxrwxr-x  3 gujal gujal     4096 Jan 19 15:35 userdata
drwxrwxr-x 10 gujal gujal     4096 Jan 19 15:35 xbmc

gujal@server:~/kodi-build$ cpack
CPack Error: CPack generator not specified
gujal@server:~/kodi-build$
Can you please advise how I can build the deb package file now that I have compiled the nightly. Thanks
Kodi 21 Windows 10 and 11 | 21 Xbox One X | 21 Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
20.3 - It's say it's been released but it's not avaialable on current ppa.....0