Release 20.3 - It's say it's been released but it's not avaialable on current ppa.....
(2024-01-19, 05:09)gujal Wrote: Can you please advise how I can build the deb package file now that I have compiled the nightly. Thanks

Why do you need the deb package.  Does sudo make install not work?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2024-01-19, 10:06)black_eagle Wrote:
(2024-01-19, 05:09)gujal Wrote: Can you please advise how I can build the deb package file now that I have compiled the nightly. Thanks

Why do you need the deb package.  Does sudo make install not work?
I need the package so that I can install on my laptop. The laptop is a ASUS Eeebook Flip E205SA running linuxmint (based on 22.04 LTS) which is great for running kodi but CPU is very weak for compiling code. I am compiling code on a ubuntu server so that I can make the package and install on the laptop

Are you suggesting that I copy the whole kodi-build folder from the server to the laptop and run make install?
Kodi 21 Windows 10 and 11 | 21 Xbox One X | 21 Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64
It's been years for me but I was using the debian/ubuntu packaging system making deb files myself.  It wasn't that difficult.  Is that an option for you?
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
I actually came here because I am running into the same issue.  I run Ubuntu desktop 22.04 but I am a Linux user, not an expert, not a programmer, not a command line user when I don't absolutely need to be.  I don't compile software; the two or three times I have tried that have ended in spectacular failure.  So many of the suggestions in this very confusing thread would not work for me.  Ubuntu doesn't support flatpaks, it supports snaps but honestly I don't much care for snaps at all.

I'm getting the vibe in this thread that Ubuntu is no longer an ideal distro for running Kodi.  So maybe the question that should be asked is, is there a super user friendly Linux distro that includes Kodi in its repository?  Specifically one that does not include everything but the kitchen sink when you install it (so, not Linux Mint, if that would even be a candidate). I do need to be able to use passthrough audio to send 5.1 audio to my receiver, which I think means I need to have the ALSA sound system available.  I mostly run Linux just to run Kodi but I do want to be able to get to the Linux desktop because there are a few other things I use Linux for.  Also, because I use my MCE-compatible remote to run a couple things outside of Kodi I need to be able to install and use the old version of LIRC (not the current f**ked up version).  So one of the *elec's would not work for me because those don't give you a full Linux desktop, but I am not sure if anything not based on Ubuntu would allow use of the old LIRC package.

I don't mind missing 20.3 so much, I only wanted to try it to see if maybe it would resolve the problem of the frequent freeze-ups (that require forcibly killing and restarting Kodi) that I have encountered with 20.2 and earlier versions.  I don't know why those occur but I see them most frequently when trying to use the YouTube addon.  But eventually a new major release will come and if there is no way to install it other than compiling it that's going to be a big problem.  I am not adverse to moving off of Ubuntu per se, but I have followed the instructions in the article on how to install the old LIRC in Ubuntu and I don't think that trick would work in any non-Ubuntu-based distro.  Is there perhaps a good Ubuntu-based distro that includes flatpak support, that is not as bloated as Linux Mint?  Or is there a better way to go?

One reason I really wish the ppa was still maintained is because I fear if I am forced to switch to another distro or to some other method of installing Kodi I will lose all my saved settings and addons and favorites, etc.  So I hope you can find a new maintainer for that ppa but if not, I'm not sure what my options are.  This entire thread has been very confusing to me!
(2024-01-28, 12:39)oldtvwatcher Wrote: is there a super user friendly Linux distro that includes Kodi in its repository?

very simple answer is yes, it is provided by Ubuntu themselves so you don't have to even install other repos

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=kodi

all you need to do is apt install it
There doesn't seem to be any 20.3 package either in that Ubuntu repo, the latest available looks to 20.2 but maybe they'll get to it eventually.
(2024-01-28, 19:09)jjd-uk Wrote: There doesn't seem to be any 20.3

it's the same for debian https://packages.debian.org/search?keywo...chon=names
i don't think anyone has gotten on board with 20.3 yet

but if you trust debian and ubuntu with the rest of your system packages it seems only logical to trust them on this one
Yep I've no doubt that both Ubuntu and Debian will get to it eventually, just a matter of how long so some patience might be needed. Just pointing it out as no good if someone wants it now.
The issue is ubuntu 22.04LTS, whch is the latest only has Kodi 19.4 and it may never be updated. This is where @wsnipex stellar but under aprreciated work on the PPAs was phenomenal. The PPA always had the latest nightly and release version of Kodi for us to consume. Now unfortunately the Team XBMC PPA has no maintainer, and people running LTS are stuck with Matrix from Ubuntu or 20.2 from team xbmc ppa.

Yes flatpak is an option, but with that comes whole different pain and I would rather stay away from that
Kodi 21 Windows 10 and 11 | 21 Xbox One X | 21 Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64
Another distro might be the right move for you if compiling yourself is not an option.  Arch Linux for example offers contemporary binary packages, and is relatively easy to run.  Ubuntu --> Arch was an pretty easy transition looking back in my own case.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2024-02-03, 18:31)graysky Wrote: Another distro might be the right move for you if compiling yourself is not an option.  Arch Linux for example offers contemporary binary packages, and is relatively easy to run.  Ubuntu --> Arch was an pretty easy transition looking back in my own case.

I can compile kodi myself on my desktop, the issue is moving the compiled stuff to my much lower powered laptop needs the deb package to be built, which is not happening

running LTS provides stability for few years, arch is bleeding edge with rapid chages and there is no need for it just to use kodi.
(2024-02-03, 23:43)gujal Wrote:
(2024-02-03, 18:31)graysky Wrote: Another distro might be the right move for you if compiling yourself is not an option.  Arch Linux for example offers contemporary binary packages, and is relatively easy to run.  Ubuntu --> Arch was an pretty easy transition looking back in my own case.

I can compile kodi myself on my desktop, the issue is moving the compiled stuff to my much lower powered laptop needs the deb package to be built, which is not happening

running LTS provides stability for few years, arch is bleeding edge with rapid chages and there is no need for it just to use kodi.

suggestion

compile on your build pc
mount your build pc's build folder to your low power pc (sshfs f.e.)
'make install' on your low power pc
so that the only portion happening on your low power pc is installation
(2024-02-03, 23:43)gujal Wrote:

this should work:
cmake -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gl -DCPACK_GENERATOR=DEB ..
make package
(2024-02-04, 08:19)wsnipex Wrote: this should work:
cmake -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gl -DCPACK_GENERATOR=DEB ..
make package
Excellent, Thank you very much. I followed the instructions and I can see the following. I am building on Ubuntu Server 22.04.3LTS. Are the warning about dependencies any cause for concern?

Code:
Run CPack packaging tool...
CPack: Create package using DEB
CPack: Install projects
CPack: - Run preinstall target for: kodi
CPack: - Install project: kodi []
CPack: -   Install component: Unspecified
CPack: -   Install component: kodi
CPack: -   Install component: kodi-addon-dev
CPack: -   Install component: kodi-bin
CPack: -   Install component: kodi-tools-texturepacker
CPack: Create package
-- CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DEPENDS not set, the package will have no dependencies.
-- CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DEPENDS not set, the package will have no dependencies.
CPackDeb: - Generating dependency list
CPackDeb: - Generating dependency list
CPack: - package: /home/gujal/kodi-build/packages/kodi-0.1.1-amd64-Unspecified.deb generated.
CPack: - package: /home/gujal/kodi-build/packages/kodi_21.0~git20240204.0729-264b44decd-0jammy_all.deb generated.
CPack: - package: /home/gujal/kodi-build/packages/kodi-addon-dev_21.0~git20240204.0729-264b44decd-0jammy_all.deb generated.
CPack: - package: /home/gujal/kodi-build/packages/kodi-bin_21.0~git20240204.0729-264b44decd-0jammy_amd64.deb generated.
CPack: - package: /home/gujal/kodi-build/packages/kodi-tools-texturepacker_21.0~git20240204.0729-264b44decd-0jammy_amd64.deb generated.

Of the 5 generated packages, kodi-bin, kodi-tools-texturepacker and kodi-addon-dev are installing on the laptop running Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu 22.04LTS) without issues.
However the main kodi_21.0 gives dependency errors as below

Code:
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kodi : Depends: libnfs8 but it is not installable or
                 libnfs4 but it is not installable or
                 libnfs1 but it is not installable
        Recommends: libva-intel-vaapi-driver but it is not installable
        Recommends: libva1 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Please advise, Thanks
When I try to use the flatpak for GBM it starts up ok, but doesnt repsond to any keyboard input, so I've been trying to compile Kodi 20.3 myself and that has worked. However I have not managed to install the pvr client for tvheadend (kodi-pvr-hts)

I am running on Ubuntu 22.04 and compiling as follows:

PREFIX=/usr/local
VERSION=Nexus
# Get source code
# Kodi
git clone -b ${VERSION} https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc kodi
-f kodi/version.txt (wiki) && cat kodi/version.txt
# TVheadend client
git clone -b ${VERSION} https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts.git

mkdir kodi-build
cd kodi-build

# Build Kodi
# platformname can be any of gbm, x11 or wayland (can use multiple)
cmake ../kodi -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${PREFIX} -DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME="wayland gbm x11" -DAPP_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles
cmake --build . -- VERBOSE=1 -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN)

# Build hts
cd ${WD}/pvr.hts && mkdir build && cd build
cmake -DADDONS_TO_BUILD=pvr.hts -DADDON_SRC_PREFIX=${WD} -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${WD}/kodi-build/addons -DPACKAGE_ZIP=1 ../../kodi/cmake/addons
make

# Build addons
make -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) -C tools/depends/target/binary-addons PREFIX=${PREFIX}
make -C tools/depends/target/binary-addons clean

# Install
cd ${WD}/kodi-build
make install

It all seems to compile and install ok. I can run Kodi fine, but I cant see the PVR addon. Advice greatfully recieved!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
20.3 - It's say it's been released but it's not avaialable on current ppa.....0