UI update for Kodi
I installed Kodi for windows 10 through the Windows store. It came up full screen. I went into settings, and changed it to windowed mode. 

How ever there were no back button that I could see to get me back to where I could select my music. I had to use the escape key. 

This is poor design, are back arrows, or is the navigation going to get fixed so it is easier to get around in the menu system? I promptly uninstalled Kodi. It is sad to see after all these years, kodi has not really advanced on the UI front. Things have not really changed much.
(2024-02-08, 01:27)robertsaron Wrote: This is poor design

kodi is a 10 foot interface designed around being a media center and as such most people use actual remote controls instead of mice and keyboards

if you must, here are the keyboard controls https://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

also, there are ton of skins for kodi https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67
(but none have the graphical back button you are looking for)
Something wrong with your backspace key?
I you compare to say google.tv or leanback, I don't see that much distinctly different, unless you insist on material design icons or UI elements.  Seems more a matter of taste than usability.

scott s.
(2024-02-08, 01:27)robertsaron Wrote: I promptly uninstalled Kodi.
Probably best.
Try Foobar2000, I think they have a back key? Oh wait, no they don't. What is it with all these programs without a back key.
Do you think Kodi is a web browser?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
although I understand that kodi is meant to be controlled by remote control in a proper media center style, but I actually been forever using Kodi with keyboard and mouse "Guilty"  Nod and both work fine including backspace. although one has to understand the hierarchy of how the Kodi interface is built and also the skin so that when they press the backspace they know where it will take them   Laugh  not to mention if you use personalized favorites like me and add them to your main menu, you will observe that pressing backspace in your personalized favourite will not lead you to main menu but to your favourite folder and so on. to me that makes sense  Smile

nordicguy
(2024-02-08, 17:06)nordicguy Wrote: although I understand that kodi is meant to be controlled by remote control in a proper media center style, but I actually been forever using Kodi with keyboard and mouse "Guilty"

honestly this is more user error than anything, installing software they don't have a clue how to operate and then complain before making an effort to understand it
except this isn't even a user anymore as they've uninstalled it "promptly"

on my dev pc i do use a keyboard only, doesn't change how Kodi is "designed" to be used
i also use buckets instead of step stools occasionally, doesn't mean that's how it's designed to be used and if it doesn't have a lid on it i will fall in because i'm not using it properly, much like this user failed because they weren't using it properly
(2024-02-08, 17:06)nordicguy Wrote: not to mention if you use personalized favorites like me and add them to your main menu, you will observe that pressing backspace in your personalized favourite will not lead you to main menu but to your favourite folder and so on. to me that makes sense  Smile

In that case your menu entry is most likely not correct. As an example see Estuary menu entry for Movies https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...e.xml#L940

This uses
xml:
ActivateWindow(Videos,videodb://movies/titles/,return)

It is the return bit that governs whether Kodi remembers where it came from.
(2024-02-08, 20:14)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2024-02-08, 17:06)nordicguy Wrote: not to mention if you use personalized favorites like me and add them to your main menu, you will observe that pressing backspace in your personalized favourite will not lead you to main menu but to your favourite folder and so on. to me that makes sense  Smile

In that case your menu entry is most likely not correct. As an example see Estuary menu entry for Movies https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...e.xml#L940

This uses
xml:
ActivateWindow(Videos,videodb://movies/titles/,return)

It is the return bit that governs whether Kodi remembers where it came from.
I am not sure that it is a wrong menu setup. I think it is probably addon thing and tbh it isn't a big deal to not go back to same page. so this is the scenario
I use iTune to listen to podcasts. I think it has not been updated for a very long time but some people in the community made it work for nexus and later kodi versions (probably python thingy) 
then I choose my usual podcasts that I listen to and I put them into a list using super favourites addon.
I make a main menu entry in the aeon tajo skin and I link that to the list in super favourites addon.
it's a config within a config sort of thing to make a direct access to the podcast list and it works as I need it to be

I don't want to use normal kodi favourites because they contain my fav movies and I don't want that mixed up with the podcasts

then when I navigate to podcasts from main menu it shows me the correct list that I linked there.
When I click backspace or escape button it goes back to programs-addon, I guess it thinks that I am navigating super favourites addon rather than a separate menu which is the podcasts menu I made

nordicguy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UI update for Kodi0