v18 What python version did kodi 18 come with on windows?
Title says it all, so I hope for a quick reply.
On windows, where the words "dependency" and "library" are as unknown to the average user, an advanced user tries to convince me that he has kodi 18 working with python3. And that is the reason he has no issues with python2's shortcomings, like... non-utf8 characters. Can something like that be true?

On linux, where every app is built against the same libs, everything has proper dependencies. E.g. On my system, I am 1000% sure that kodi uses the same python 3.11 that qbittorrent or samba does.
On windows, things are different, because one can install whatever version of any app and that app can bring its own dependencies, no matter how old or new they are. That is why one can have kodi 18 (python2) and qbittorrent (python3) installed at the same time.

p.s. I know qbittorrent is built with qt5/6, it just needs python for its search function.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Addon.xml#Dependency_versions
I know that, I even have it bookmarked to check what versions of xbmc.* are needed when addons do not install. E.g. I came across a skin which needs xbmc.gui 5.16, which makes it incompatible with a kodi 19 installation I wanted to install it on.
But what I ask is different, so let me put it another way. Assuming that kodi bundles ALL its libraries on the windows installer, like all apps do, was there any kodi 18 installer for windows that came with python3?
hmm not sure why ask a question you already know the answer to
then ask it a 2nd time rephrased

but i won't run the risk of telling you something you already know again so good luck
(2024-02-11, 07:51)jim_p Wrote: was there any kodi 18 installer for windows that came with python3?
No
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pulls?q=is%...in%3Atitle+
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Yes, I know the answer to it, since kodi 19 and the transition to python3, and I think it applies to all oses, not just windows.
I just can't stand such claims by people who e.g. program in python (which is something I don't) and, because of that probably, say they know better.

Thank you all. I have nothing else to add. If there is nothing else you can add, please put the padlock.
(2024-02-11, 08:15)Karellen Wrote:
(2024-02-11, 07:51)jim_p Wrote: was there any kodi 18 installer for windows that came with python3?
No
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pulls?q=is%...in%3Atitle+

At least no offical Team Kodi release. There probably were some testing/development builds floating around during the python3 implementation(which took a while)

If you really want to know, ask for a Debug Log from that user.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What python version did kodi 18 come with on windows?0