Control4 Home Automation Control System for XBMC
Smile 
Hi guys,

I've been a long time user of XBMC (since XBMP days). I have developed a driver that interfaces a Control4 Home Automation System with XBMC. This allows you to use the Control4 User Interfaces (Touchscreens, Remote Controls, Keypads, etc) to control XBMC via tcp/ip. The Control4 home user to select any movie they want and XBMC will play the movie automatically. Transport controls have also been integrated.

For more information about the Control4 Home Automation system please visit http://www.control4.com.au

I have linked below a clip of the control4 onscreen interface.

http://www.c-t.com.au/xbmc-c4/xbmc-c4-integration.mp4

-Alan
Hi guys,

I have re-recorded a better video showcasing different user interfaces from OLED zigbee remote controls to onscreen graphical user interfaces to touchscreen controls.

I also showcase lights dimming, ramping up when you press play, pause, stop, etc.

The great thing about it is that you can get full control over XBMC via IP. What this means is for example you can select a internet radio station without turning your tv on and you could easily distribute the audio around your house. Same goes for video.

Check it out.

-Alan
Is the link in the first post now the re-recorded video? This sounds quite interesting. What have been your experiences with Control4? I am very interested in homeautomation and have been researching many different options. I have looked into, Homeseer, Mr. House, Creston, and a few others. I was thinking of combining these with Insteon or z-wave products. What made you choose control4 over other solutions? How customizable is the Control4 solution? Can the interface be skinned?
Rand Al Thor, of the systems you've mentioned, Crestron is the most customizable and arguably the best. Control4 is great if you don't want all the bells and whistles and want to save some money but it isn't really in the same league as Crestron. Crestron and AMX are the big dogs of the home automation world. Control4 may be all you really need though.
The video is different from the first one.

We are the distributors of Control4 in Australia so i'm quite expierenced with itSmile

In regards to Control4 vs AMX vs Crestron you guys are comparing oranges to apples.

Control4 is designed to attack a whole different demographic.

1) Control4 is retrofittable. You remove your existing lighting and put the new one in.

2) Control4 is easy to program. Your integrator will be able to program a control4 system in anywhere between an hour to a few days (depending on the size of the system). Crestron and AMX ranges between a day and a few months.

3) Control4 is easy to use. All of the user interfaces are the same. This is a pro and a can. Pro is that the user interface will not be buggy. Con is that you cannot change the user interface.

There are several reasons why we chose to distribute control4. We chose it because we can target everyone. Since it is an affordable system we don't have to pick the million dollar homes anymore. Also it is retrofittable so you don't need to run new wires around your home.

I could go on forever about the pros and cons of Control4. At the end of the day Control4 is a generic, retrofitable, easy to install, easy to program and easy to use automation system that is affordable.
Hey what happened to my link. Lets try again.

http://youtube.com/?v=ATZ_ZEL4x0U
Alan,
Would you mind sharing your Driver file (c4i) with us. I own a C4 system and love it, but I don't really want to go the IR route. I've been reading the Driverworks SDK for weeks, but I'm not really making any progress.
I assume that you are a dealer since you have access to the driverworks SDK. With that said you can access the driver via the Official Control4 Dealer forum.
So happens that I am a C4 dealer and found the info in the dealer section of the website. Outstanding work. Thank you for your ingenuity, hard work, and willingness to share.
Thank youSmile I will be adding more features to it as time goes by.
Nice work!
We're a Lagotek (Z-Wave version of Control4 very similar) dealer in the uk, would like something similar being a XBMC fan!
Yep Crestron and AMX are like apples and oranges! OK if you have a spare 40K - 50K kicking about, but Lagotek like Control4 is retro fit so you dont have to knock your house down or chase the wall out and 4-6K gets you a dam fine system with plenty of wow factor!
Hi guys,

I represent Convergent Technologies (Control Distributor in Australia) and i am the software developer for the XBMC/Control4 interface. I have been a long fan of XBMC (ever since i was in university) and have always wanted to contribute to the community. The Control4 XBMC interface utilises XBMC's HTTP API to do transport commands, discrete volume control, play media, etc.

This allows you to utilise Control4's range of user interface devices such as its zigbee based remotes, touchscreens or even keypads. By utilising multiple XBMC systems and/or by using video distribution systems you can achieve true multiroom video. Ie select this movie in this room.

Its been a while since i've updated my youtube channel but here it is anyway.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source...3YKhdMxIvw

Lately i've been working on other projects apart from XBMC however i am constanting revisiting it to see what other cool features i can add to make the system even better.

Please visit http://www.control4.com for more information about Control4 Home Automation.

--

Alan Chow
Technical Development Manager
Convergent Technologies

161 Grange Road,
Fairfield Victoria 3078
Ph: +61 3 9490 5888
Fx: +61 3 9490 5899
Can't say i've ever heard of Lagotek. I don't think its available here in Australia. However i'm all for retrofitable control systemsSmile
Hmmm no doesnt appear to be an Aussie dealer.... Maybe I should move back! LOL!
Geeba Wrote:...but Lagotek like Control4 is retro fit so you dont have to knock your house down or chase the wall out...
Rubbish! Rolleyes And what makes you think that is necessary with Crestron or AMX? Crestron and AMX are more expensive for many reasons. Control 4 is a great alternative for people that don't need the more advanced features or power of Crestron or AMX. Lagotek is a lot more like a Niles or Xantech system which is even more limited than Control 4.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Control4 Home Automation Control System for XBMC0