[MAC] Possibility to use QuickTime as an External Player in XBMC on Mac OS X 10.5+?
Question 
On OS X this is most feasible, and possibly Windows. Linux gets left out of the loop, but what if built a Quicktime backend for XBMC? Not as a general purpose player, but for those DRM'd things that people always download from the iTunes store. Music, movies, etc. Just detect if they're protected and open them with Quicktime. I think Quicktime also offloads a lot of processing on the GPU (I could be wrong about this though), being faster.

Maybe there's licensing issues with this, as I'm sure you have thought about it. But it's just something that occurred to me when trying to decide the best way to go about getting TV automatically downloaded to my computer (iTunes has an excellent - and legal - Season Pass feature for downloading HD television shows.)
Two reasons. Mainly because it wouldn't be well integrated. Unless Quicktime is happy to feed us decoded digital audio and video (unlikely for a DRM'd item?) it would be hard to get it to seamlessly integrate with the application. The second is simply that we don't particularly want to support DRM at all, from a philosophical point of view. An addon isn't out of the question, though obviously licensing issues is something that would have to be well thought about.

This doesn't stop anyone from doing it, ofcourse. Any and all hacking on XBMC is most welcome at all times. Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few mac applications that use Quicktime for video and/or audio and they're well integrated. I think it's in the Mac SDK. It probably wouldn't feed raw video to XBMC, but you could be like "Hey quicktime, play this file fullscreen plz" from a programming point of view.

I'm no programmer, so i could be completely wrong. I understand the philosophical opposition to DRM. Nobody likes it, or what it stands for.
SneakerElph Wrote:I'm pretty sure there are quite a few mac applications that use Quicktime for video and/or audio and they're well integrated. I think it's in the Mac SDK. It probably wouldn't feed raw video to XBMC, but you could be like "Hey quicktime, play this file fullscreen plz" from a programming point of view.

I'm no programmer, so i could be completely wrong. I understand the philosophical opposition to DRM. Nobody likes it, or what it stands for.

As far I know, there are no App aside from Apple apps that can assess DRM video content. Just can't get there. Non-DRM video content does play using the Quicktime API.
The Quicktime API (QTKit) does allow allow playing back DRMed audio as long as the machine is authorized to play said content. However the playback is done by completely handing off the decoding and playback to an external component. AFAIK, interaction with the QT component is quite restricted, things like visualization data etc is not available. The same can be achieved by simply sending iTunes some Applescript commands.

The Quicktime API however does not allow playing back DRM video content.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Too bad. I'd gladly pay for an HD season pass to The Office or House if it wasn't DRMed.

This is DRM losing money for the companies. Tsk, tsk.
Question 
As the title suggests. Can you use the Quicktime X Player as an external player? Then you would get h.264 gpu acceleration. There must be some caveats to this because it does not seem to be a documented solution in these forums.
I suspect this would be tricky at best. It'd also completely ruin the integration. If there is an external player available that can take a path as a commandline argument then it *might* be feasible. You're on your own with that, however.

As per all the external player stuff, however, it gives a really bad user experience.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

You can use the Media player classic HT player as an external player to obtain GPU acceleration on the windows platform. Could you not do the same thing on a Intel Mac Mini (Nvidia 9400M GPU) with 10.6 OSX using QTX as the external player? In my original post I was referring to this platform not the ATV. I think thats why I got merged with this one.
Drifty Wrote:You can use the Media player classic HT player as an external player to obtain GPU acceleration on the windows platform. Could you not do the same thing on a Intel Mac Mini (Nvidia 9400M GPU) with 10.6 OSX using QTX as the external player? In my original post I was referring to this platform not the ATV. I think thats why I got merged with this one.

Grrr, someone is messing with threads, yes, you can use quicktime player as an external player.
OK thats great. Has anyone tried this? If I were to do this would I follow the same instructions in the wiki for the windows example?
Drifty Wrote:OK thats great. Has anyone tried this? If I were to do this would I follow the same instructions in the wiki for the windows example?

yep, search for playercorefactory.xml
Hmm...So if I go the Mac Mini route, I can then overcome the AC3 Passthrough issue a bunch of us are having, by calling Quicktime as the External player instead. This is promising...
Question 
I've ripped my DVD collection sans DRM using MDRP and RipIt. For the most part, XPMC's DVD Player works fine, but with a few movies, it has issues.

I would like to use Apple's DVD Player as my external player because I have had 100% success with it. I defined the path to it in playercorefactory.xml and Apple DVD Player launches when I select it from the Play Using ... menu.

But that's all it does -- launch. It acts as if it has not been instructed to actually play a particular movie.

If I substitute VLC for Apple DVD Player in playercorefactory.xml, movies play as expected (although VLC is much less reliable than XBMC's built-in DVD Player.)

Can anyone offer me any insights?

Sorry. Sad I guess I hijacked this thread a bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Possibility to use QuickTime as an External Player in XBMC on Mac OS X 10.5+?0