ATVUSB-Creator 0.3 image request
Hi,

Would one of you (Mac users) be able to create a 'bare minimum' image that I can load on my stick please?

I don't have a Mac (just windows) and all other patchstick/images out there are too bloated with goodies.

I simply would like to ssh into my atv2.2, nothing else. No new menu, no new logo's etc, just being able to ssh into my atv box.

Uuuh, 'moving' this image to my USB stick on windows will be the next question ;-)

Thanks for considering!

-HF
As far as I know, creating an USB-Patchstick using atvusb-creator0.3, can only be done on an Intel-Mac.

An Image would do you no good Sad

Find a friend with a Mac and create the Patchstick there...
Thanks,

hmmm, I thought that creating an image of an ready made stick could be 'written' to any other stick. Problem is that windows can not write such an image please?

-HF
pooh Wrote:Thanks,

hmmm, I thought that creating an image of an ready made stick could be 'written' to any other stick. Problem is that windows can not write such an image please?

-HF

I'am also looking for an ready to go image, On windows you can write the image to the USB stick with dd.exe utility.
I'm going to jump in here before it gets out of hand.

If someone wants to give someone else a disk image, that's fine but I strongly suggest that you do it via a person to person transfer.

Hosting such an image could open yourself up to legal actions by Apple as the image will contain boot.efi. Boot.efi is Apple intellectual property and as such cannot be distributed without their permission.

atvusb-creator downloads an AppleTV update for the sole purpose of extracting a valid boot.efi from the dmg in order to stay 100 percent legal regarding Apple intellectual property.

I know windows users are chomping at the bit to have something that can create a patchstick to install XBMC for Mac and I'm working as fast as I can to provide it but these things take time.
Davilla,

Thank you for shining your light on this.

I wasn't aware of the 'boot.efi and Apple' legal issue. I had no intention to start or cause legals issues. Apologies for my Newbie actions, and for the record I state that the request for an Image was my 'simple enduser' question, without knowing how this all works.

And a specific thanks for your hard work!

-HF
No I didn't realise the issue either... but have I had fun so far getting it to work...

First issue - no Mac, so I find OSX VMWare combo only to find out it wont boot on AMD machines, so I get my wifes laptop, boots fine but the cursor in the upper right due to an issue with VMWare and the touchpad, eventaully I manage to navigate using finder and launch the app, but theres no install options (I must have missed something or ran the wrong thinsg) andway after four hours I just walked away!!

I'll have another go later but if anyone knows of a method to make the USB stick without me needing to fight with a Mac that would be great Smile

By the way a question for you Mac users that may make my life a lot easier on this - when I navigate using the cursors keys and try to run the app by pressing enter it wants to rename the file, how can I make it run it?

Ta....
Lumpsack Wrote:By the way a question for you Mac users that may make my life a lot easier on this - when I navigate using the cursors keys and try to run the app by pressing enter it wants to rename the file, how can I make it run it?

Sounds like no mouse, Mac are very hard to use without a mouse Sad

you can open the app from the command-line

Quote:open atvusb-creator.app
Cheers I'll give that a crack... but yeah, with a mouse (or rather one that wasn't stuck in the top corner Smile) I'd have had it cracked in no time.

Oh, is the command line in the top menu somewhere (very new to Macs as you may have guessed) and should the two side menus have been populated with options or did I miss something else I should have got?

Thanks for the very quick reply though.
Well sort of good news, I managed to launch the app and even got the options right (using tab to navigate) but to my utter frustration cycling through with tab never gets to create disk Sad

God I hate being mouseless!!!!
Ok, I've managed to get a hold of 'ATVpatchstick2.1.img.bz2'

Applied it to my ATV 2.2 and simply works,meaning ssh enabled, that's it. Transefered XBMC-launcher script and fired it away.

XBMC Atlantis B2 is running perfectly ;-)

ps(did had exist with status 11, but hey, beta is beta....)

-HF
Nice work - were I to find that (which I probably could Smile) what would I do with it?

I assume you'd use dd.exe you mentioned but what command line?
That would be at the windows section of this page:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Booting_f...Thumbdrive

Regarding the image, Google was my friend....

After reading many pages and many trial and errors, this way must be the 'easiest windows way' to get ssh enabled.

;-)
\bow many thanks
Well I think I'm cursed Sad

My Mac exploits are doomed to failure - with the image that saw the USB the mouse didn't work, I then got one that the mouse worked with but crashed when I put the USB in

I got the image you mentioned Pooh and used dd to write it to the USB key (4GB SanDisk so not a bad make) and it just stops at "Waiting for root device", I've looked this up and tried all sort (removing drive, waiting 5, reboot, reset ATV with menu + - and so on) with no luck...

Sort of funny really but moddingn the XBox was easier Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATVUSB-Creator 0.3 image request0