Unable to browse SMB shares
Hello,

I've been using xbmc (xbox) for while. Since a month or two i am playing with xbmc under Gentoo. This works quite flawless (big up for the devs!!) except for that one thing though.

Each time when i want to add a source and try to browse SMB shares, xbmc just crashes instantly... It only appears under gentoo (64-bit environment), not on my xbox.

error in console:

*** stack smashing detected ***: /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin terminated
Aborted (core dumped)

When i enter the networkpath manually everything just works fine, i can play from my network. It is just the browsing that doesn't work. I guess it's a small problem then...

Are there more people with this problem?

Grtz
try installing a 32bit version..
Yes I've had the exact same problem. Kubuntu 8.04.1, 64bit

Yes I've done the exact same solution.

I will try the 32bit version tonight.
I just installed a fresh 8.10 final amd64 with the hardy ppa and get the exact same problem.

Does anyone have an idea what may cause this crash?
Alright, I installed ubuntu 8.04.1 32bit version

smb from inside xbmc work great
Pvt_Ryan Wrote:try installing a 32bit version..

Aint much of solution, but rather a work around... Anyway im gonna file a bug for this
Same here. Ubuntu 8.10 64bit fresh install. XBMC crashes when I try to browse SMB shares. I would rather wait for the fix.
gbyte Wrote:Same here. Ubuntu 8.10 64bit fresh install. XBMC crashes when I try to browse SMB shares. I would rather wait for the fix.

I might be missing something, but is there any reason to run an x64 distro for xbmc?
Only if you have 4GB of RAM, I guess. Anyway, since I have 64bit CPU it makes sense to utilize all the command sets and registers it comes with. Not sure if it matters for XBMC in terms of performance, but it makes *me* feel better. Big Grin
A better workaround then installing x32 is mounting the samba share first, then access them via xbmc
gbyte Wrote:Only if you have 4GB of RAM, I guess. Anyway, since I have 64bit CPU it makes sense to utilize all the command sets and registers it comes with. Not sure if it matters for XBMC in terms of performance, but it makes *me* feel better. Big Grin

Totally agree. And if xbmc smb browsing works on 64-bit too, it's an improvement. I think that`s what it's all about ... improving your application otherwise developpers can leave their application in beta stage, as it works a little bit and maybe not for everyone. Instead of trying to downgrade 64bit users to 32bit ... maybe try to find a solution so that it works for everybody Big Grin ain't that a cool thing?

Anyway the rest of xbmc works quite flawless on x64 architecture, so why not fix this little bug...
I'm having the same issue here, was a bug report filed, I couldn't find one in Trac.
Same issue here. I couldn't find a bug so I filed this: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5760
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5760 Should be fixed now. Give it a shot with current svn.

TheUni

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to browse SMB shares0