Song ratings more globally with MusicBrainz
Star 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but generally speaking, rating MP3 tracks is a mess. Rating them in XBMC is nice but then I don't have the rating on my second XBOX, neither on my PC and neither in WinAmp. And cleaning up the database will erase them all.

I spent quite some time looking for a solution that works in a more global way than keeping a separate rating system for every media player I use. So there is this website you certainly heard about called MusicBrainz. Besides accurate song fingerprinting and identifying they soon will offer the possibility to rate a song. And guess what, there is an API. And guess what, XBMC already stores the MusicBrainz-IDs in its database if available! Smile

So what would be really cool, is XBMC querying the ratings from MusicBrainz and vice versa submitting the rating to MusicBrainz when the XBMC user rates a song. This would immediately solve the problem using multiple XBOXes on the same music collection.

The API is pretty simple. Basically you need two additional configuration options (username and password) besides the MusicBrainz ID, then you HTTP POST to the webservice and get a XML response in return:
I'm aware that there are talks about completely integrating XBMC with MusicBrainz, also with tagging support, but this doesn't involve any additional libraries and should be doable with relatively little effort.

Any thoughts from the devs?

Cheers,

-freezy.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
A patch would be most welcome. It really involves two things: 1. Submission. 2. Reading during scan.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Maybe I'll find the time between Christmas and New Year, but don't hold your breath Wink
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Sure - let us know if you need a hand with we're to add it in.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Song ratings more globally with MusicBrainz0