Automatic screen resolution adjustment?
Question 
Hi,

Is it possible to let XBMC autodetect if the played video file is in 720 or 1080 and therefor adjust the screen resoluton ?
Or do you (those who have an 1080p tv) run xbmc in 1080 mode and play 720p files in 1080 mode ?
Right now it isn't possible and devs are reluctant to see that this as something that actually makes sense, or that there is a demand for out there - at least this was the case in one of the more recent brainstormings in one of the threads regarding the future roadmap of resolution and framerate handling.

So I'm glad to be able to mention once more, that todays HDTV's do a far better job at upscaling movie and video content, than the bilinear or bicubic filters that XBMC uses, therefore it makes sense to set the output resolution (fullscreen) dynamicly to the appropriate or next highest standardized one, at least optionally.
I also known a few people with expensive video scalers who'd prefer to have XBMC output video at it's native resolution for obvious reasons.

Is it really all lot of work to have this option added then?
I don't think zoso1977 was talkign about upscaling.. were you?

I think he wants the output resolution to auto-adjust based on the content played.

Example:
Run XBMC GUI at 720p
when 1080p video starts, XBMC's player detects this, and changes output to 1080p
after video is over, back to 720p

zoso1977,
you might want to put in a formal feature request for this on Trac (http://trac.xbmc.org)
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Why would you set the GUI to anything less than your display resolution? Or why would you set the output resolution of a video in fullscreen to a resolution above your displays native one?

Downscaling isn't as much a hassle as upscaling, I have no problem with XBMC scaling a 1080p picture down to 720p... But I'd like to see XBMC letting a TV or external scaler do the upscaling. This way round we are talking about the advantages of denoise, edge enhancement, sharpening, surface detection, shape detection, ... , features XBMC does not offer, but most state of the art HDTVs do.

My guess would be that you are the one misinterpreting the initial question.
Why don't you let the TS clarify... He never mentioned upscaling video, he asked about 'matching' output resolution to the video playing.

I wish noobs did not act like noobs Smile
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I would also like to add to this request. The thoughts in this thread are correct. Many of us have quite expensive (and also extremely effective) video scalers that do an excellent job already.

We'd just like to force XBMC to output the video at the video's native resolution without adding any of its own processing, so that we can let the scaler do its job.

Obviously that would require the XBMC to detect the framerate and native resolution of the source material and then ask the OS to switch the resolution on the fly to make this happen. When playback is stopped, we go back to normal resolution of the OS.

I assume that since this thread hasn't progressed much that no one has come to any consensus?
deh2k7 Wrote:I would also like to add to this request. The thoughts in this thread are correct. Many of us have quite expensive (and also extremely effective) video scalers that do an excellent job already.

We'd just like to force XBMC to output the video at the video's native resolution without adding any of its own processing, so that we can let the scaler do its job.

Obviously that would require the XBMC to detect the framerate and native resolution of the source material and then ask the OS to switch the resolution on the fly to make this happen. When playback is stopped, we go back to normal resolution of the OS.

I assume that since this thread hasn't progressed much that no one has come to any consensus?

i won't allow any program to change the display resolution to anything i have not defined before or know it can be displayed. there is a reason why the driver of your graphics card will display a confirmation dialog after a resolution change.. also there are so many resolutions out in the wild (even some strange ones defined by mad video encoder freaks hehe) which might even harm your display if xbmc would try to switch to a resolution your tv or monitor can't display or at least will black out your screen with an "out of sync" error.
cheers,azido :;):
azido Wrote:i won't allow any program to change the display resolution to anything i have not defined before or know it can be displayed. there is a reason why the driver of your graphics card will display a confirmation dialog after a resolution change.. also there are so many resolutions out in the wild (even some strange ones defined by mad video encoder freaks hehe) which might even harm your display if xbmc would try to switch to a resolution your tv or monitor can't display or at least will black out your screen with an "out of sync" error.

He's not on about sending the signal to his display though, he wants to send it to his scaler which, I assume, can take pretty much any signal and then do it's magic and output it to the correct resolution of his display.

I don't see why it shouldn't be possible now that XBMC can detect the fps of a video and then change the refresh rate accordingly.
Hitcher is correct.

Even if 'odd' video resolutions are a concern, a setting like "force 480i for DVD playback" would prevent odd settings. Unless the video codec matched 480i the setting would kick in, perhaps.

For me at least, I don't anticipate odd video resolutions. I'm not looking to do anything more than bring my media into online storage and access in its native resolution. That would be 1080p60, 1080p24, 1080i, and 480i based on HDDVD, BRD, and DVD.

We could take it a step further and add 720p for the 'other' HDTV resolution.
Has this been taken any further? I was also going to get an external scaler for SD/DVD material, but a resolution switch to the native format is kinda needed.
I was asking the same thing here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53550
and Hitcher showed me this thread.

I have a Reon HQ chip in my Denon and i think we need something like this.

I don't know how to handle all this xvid, divx, flv stuff we have in some fancy and to small resolutions - i think we need to change to the smalles possible resolution thats near the video we play.
Any update on this? XBMC's upscaling is poor and just about any recent TV, receiver, or external video processor will do a much better job. Unfortunately, without a native resolution option, one is stuck with XBMC's crappy upscaling. And don't tell me this isn't possible because the Tvix 6500 has no problems outputting a file's native resolution.
johnny2 Wrote:And don't tell me this isn't possible because the Tvix 6500 has no problems outputting a file's native resolution.

hahaha... and how the hell is that relevant to xbmc? so because a hardware box with how many staff working on it can output to a native res, you automatically assume xbmc should do it? riiiiiight.
So by that logic my car should be as fast as a veyron, purely because they are both cars and drive on the same road...
How much is a tivx 6500? oh $399.. how much did you pay for xbmc?? oh nothing, yeah thats right..Perhaps donate that $399 to the xbmc devs and it might help. Anyways, If the developers think its necessary it will happen, i wouldnt expect anything though as none have made any comments so far. I agree it would be nice to have this feature, but i dont need it or expect it, people need to remember that no one gets paid to write this awesome program, and your not paying to use it..

johnny2 Wrote:XBMC's upscaling is poor.... Unfortunately, without a native resolution option, one is stuck with XBMC's crappy upscaling...
Yep, im sure that helps your cause too...

/rant
I could have sworn this was an XBMC feature when i was using it on XBOX.

I need to stop hanging out with "Mary Jane"...

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic screen resolution adjustment?0