Automatic screen resolution adjustment?
Mark me down as one who would love this feature! I have a hardware video scaler that I would love for XBMC to take advantage of.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think XBMC on the XBOX can be forced to play video at native resolution. You have to manually select the resolution, as there is no "native resolution" setting. If all of your video is 480i, then this would be ok. But if the resolution varies, it would be a pain to change resolution before each video.

I think XBMC for Linux/Windows is stuck playing video at the same resolution that your PC outputs.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.
for xbox I disable 720p & 1080i, only enable 480p 16:9,
and set "auto resolution" in movie section,
so it will auto switch between 4:3 and 16:9 depend on DVD source.

DVD movie will fix at 720x480 ( 480P ), and some TiVO captured NTSC TV files ( 480x480 MPG-2 ) will be upscaling to 720x480 ( 480p ) by XBMC, both looks clear and smoothly at my Sony XBR 50 inch LCD TV.

if I enable 720p & 1080i at XBMC, XBMC will "force" to upscaling every media to it's highest resolution, DVD movie and 480x480 MPG may upscaling to 1080i and looks blurred ( less focus ) and less smoothly.

I think the blur is due to some small resolution files upscaling too much....
eg. 480x480 mpg file,
if upscaling to 480p (720x480) : OK
upscaling to 1080i (1920x1080) : Blurred

I hope XBMC can "detect" the "best match/closest" resolution to upscaling, but not the "highest" resolution. thanks !
A feature like this would be very useful to use with my external scaler: a source-direct feature that would output 576i for PAL dvd, and 480i for NTSC dvds,
Joao Wrote:A feature like this would be very useful to use with my external scaler: a source-direct feature that would output 576i for PAL dvd, and 480i for NTSC dvds,

you know everytime the resolution change the screen flickers and it needs time before the resolution is changed? i dont think anyone want this feature.
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:you know everytime the resolution change the screen flickers and it needs time before the resolution is changed? i dont think anyone want this feature.

I use this feature on my DVR and the flicker is quick and doesn't bother me. I'd rather let the TV do the upscaling. It's pretty good at it.
openelec.tv Wrote:you know everytime the resolution change the screen flickers and it needs time before the resolution is changed? i dont think anyone want this feature.

Yes, and that also happens with a normal DVD player. So, no problem with that.
Advancedsettings.xml option? Really, probably the main reason to use a PC for media consumption is to play it back the way *you* prefer and not consumer electronics companies. Big Grin
Joao Wrote:Yes, and that also happens with a normal DVD player. So, no problem with that.

an DVD player etc... uses framebuffer graphics and not any Xorg or Windows OS with an Accelerated 3D Graphics system for Menus etc. for the graphics output so its an big problem with that for the most users. you can see the problem if you use older or easy games that dont uses the full resolution in fullscreen.
greetings, Stephan

ashlar Wrote:Advancedsettings.xml option? Really, probably the main reason to use a PC for media consumption is to play it back the way *you* prefer and not consumer electronics companies. Big Grin

And I prefer it with an external scaler. Big Grin
Joao, I fully agree with you. I hope this is something that in the future will be implemented (although I don't use an external scaler anymore I can understand the request).
+1
I would love this feature!!
+1

+3... mainly because dxva-based scaling (in my case 720P -> 1080P) causes noticable judder @ 24Hz (aka 23.976Hz) (as has already been discovered on doom9)
isamudaison Wrote:+3... mainly because dxva-based scaling (in my case 720P -> 1080P) causes noticable judder @ 24Hz (aka 23.976Hz) (as has already been discovered on doom9)
That post was from a year ago and it was about MPC-HC. I wouldn't give for granted the fact that it applies, one year later, to XBMC. Could the developers chime in and let us know?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
+1
I would like to use my scaler too with XBMC.

thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic screen resolution adjustment?0