Media Workflow Setup - XBMC/XBOX + AppleTV
I've been reading all I can about ways of getting media to work with AppleTV and with xbmc, and I have a few questions that I hope a few of you that have migrated from the original xbox to appletv might have encountered.

My needs might be slightly different than most, so a brief explanation:

I have an original xbox with ~TB of video content stored internally, mostly packaged with some AVI container and encoded with some mpeg4 codec (avi, divx, etc).

I purchased a 40gb appletv in hopes that I could gain some 720p playback.

My family is also migrated for the most part to OSX for computers around the house, and I'm using an airport extreme with USB connected drives for time machine backups and other storage. This uses the wireless-n network for the most part.

Ideally what I'd like to do is to use my AppleTV with xbmc as the primary playback device, and retire my xbox to the kids room as a secondary unit. I would also like to take the appletv on vacation with me (perfect as its small and has component out).

What I'm thinking is that I should relocate my primary media storage onto external USB disks which when attached to the airport extreme are shared out via SMB. Split this into two, one folder/source for SD material, and one source for HD material. Then also create a single source local on the 40gb appletv disk which I'd fill and empty with vacation.

When I add the sources on xbmc, the files will get added and combined into a single library, and when I take the apple tv on the road, some of the files won't work as the files/smb shares aren't accessible.

Anyone else have similar setups? What works for you?

Thanks

JT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Workflow Setup - XBMC/XBOX + AppleTV0