ReadyBoost feature for the Xbox?
One of the problems of XBMC in Xbox is the only 64mbs of Ram.
Xbmc can read/write externals usb devices, so my question is if its possible a implementation like windows readyBosst to use USB devices like ram?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost
Bye.
xbox doesn't have any usb ports...do u want to ready boost the HD space?
itombs Wrote:One of the problems of XBMC in Xbox is the only 64mbs of Ram.
Xbmc can read/write externals usb devices, so my question is if its possible a implementation like windows readyBosst to use USB devices like ram?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost
Bye.

i would say no.
it even doesn't work in vista for most of the usb-sticks out there.
cheers,azido :;):
ACTUALLY.....The xbox has 4 USB Ports. ( the controller ports) but I don't believe they are USB 2.0

So, no......I don't think it would work. What WILL work on the xbox ( except 1.6 versions) is a RAM Upgrade. Go from 64 Mb to 128 Mb......Tutorials for this are at Xbox-Scene.
FourTwentySmilz Wrote:What WILL work on the xbox ( except 1.6 versions) is a RAM Upgrade. Go from 64 Mb to 128 Mb......Tutorials for this are at Xbox-Scene.
But it's useless so don't waste your time/money.
FourTwentySmilz Wrote:ACTUALLY.....The xbox has 4 USB Ports. ( the controller ports) but I don't believe they are USB 2.0

So, no......I don't think it would work. What WILL work on the xbox ( except 1.6 versions) is a RAM Upgrade. Go from 64 Mb to 128 Mb......Tutorials for this are at Xbox-Scene.
You are right they are the slower version 1 usbBig Grin
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
althekiller

Why would the RAM upgrade be "useless"? Not questioning your answer.....just wonder why it wouldn't help with the RAM issues that people run into with things like running in 720p with MediaStream and FanArt enabled. No HD playback....just dash in HD. I'm sure you have read these posts, including some of my own regarding low RAM.
readyboost gains ere negligable on vista anyway. it just raises CPU usage for usb data transfer to memory thats still not as fast as any actual RAM would be

as far as the actual ram upgrade on the xbox, have fun finding the modules, i'd like the find some myself, im not sure my soldering skills are up to par though anyway
I've got a couple of spare 1.0 and 1.1 boards to use as "parts". Was going to get a working 1.0 and do an upgrade....but if it isn't going to help ( as althekiller says) then I'm not going to bother with it.
I cant see why not having more memory isn't a good idea as this would increase the skins performance and playing capacity ( only if the skin uses to much memory ) Mediastream on 720p with all bells and whistles turned on ( none leite or new texture.xpr version ) also you could play mame emulators

ia currently trying to get a motherboard with 128mbs of ram as i can solder for shit lol and i have 3 dead xboxs that i could take the memory from.
Rocky5 Wrote:I cant see why not having more memory isn't a good idea as this would increase the skins performance and playing capacity ( only if the skin uses to much memory ) Mediastream on 720p with all bells and whistles turned on ( none leite or new texture.xpr version ) also you could play mame emulators

ia currently trying to get a motherboard with 128mbs of ram as i can solder for shit lol and i have 3 dead xboxs that i could take the memory from.

It all boils down to one thing? is the software written for xbox recognise the fact you have 128mb of ram or just the standard 64mb of ram i know linux running on xbox uses the extra but the big question is will xbmc it's down to the software writers? I suspect the answer is most likely no!No so could a developer give us a answer to this please and end the debate once and for all.Big Grin
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
For those that have posted "XBMC will not benifit from an Xbox RAM upgrade".....

Notice the "Free Memory".....102/128.
If this XBMC on Xbox recognizes the memory upgrade ( and this pic was taken May 5, 2005 and posted at Xbox-Scene May 6 2005, 05:01 PM ) then why wouldn't today's XBMC for Xbox benifit from more RAM?

And this was posted at the SmartXX site......

XOR
Super Moderator

Registration Date: 09-03-2004

RE: 128 MB Ram...flexible?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes...

By default MAME/XBMC/LINUX/N64 emus will see and use the 128MB...

Other games/apps would need tweaking for any xtra memory to be seen.
Been spoken about so many times... even with all that free memory the xbox will crash after the 64MB mark is passed especially on video, 128mb isnt the answer for 1080i playback..... support was written in for it to display the correct amount of memory but as far as video playback and more horsepower for skins it will make no difference Non of the dev except Gamester17 have 128mb Xboxex (IIRC Gamester has a DreamX) so cant see it ever getting looked at... JMarshall did offer to take a look at 128Mb machine IF he was sent the hardware... but what came of that I have no idea and with the slowing of Xbox development I doubt he will now, I maybe wrong.
Wondering if it possible to use something like Tversity with XBMC on xbox like ppl use it for PS3. Meaning the decoding is done on the computer and then sent to the xbox...with this can xbox play 720p or better content?
I'll build an HTPC when I amass a big enough HD Library, so my questions DO NOT CONCERN hi-def playback.....but I want to get my XBMC ( on Xbox) running as smooth as possible with MediaStream. By this I mean, I need to know if just dash display and performance will improve with the RAM upgrade. Some say yes. Some say no. I wish there was a definitive answer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ReadyBoost feature for the Xbox?0