Music doesn't play (how do I debug this?)
Hi everyone,

I've set up xbmc on a Fedora 10 x64 box. I built it from SVN, last update a few days ago.

For some reason, music functionality doesn't work: when I try to play an audio CD or some mp3s off the local hard drive, it displays the track as if it were playing, but stays at 0:00 and there's no sound.

Are there any switches I can turn on to see some debugging information? How would one get started on a bug like this?

BTW, earlier versions from SVN worked okay. The only difference was that I installed those from RPM on http://centosjunkies.com/index.php/XBMC. There's a chance that I screwed up the compilation, but I'm pretty sure it worked fine.

Thanks!
The Debug Log is the best place to start - it's probably something reasonably straightforward, such as pulse audio not being setup correctly and attempting to be used, or something with alsa.

Debug Log should be in /var/logs/xbmc-<username>.log or somesuch. Further debugging will be available if you turn on full debug info in Settings->System->Enable debug logging.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ah, I see. I was expecting to see a bunch of output in the terminal when I enabled that option Smile

I think PulseAudio is set up correctly, since video files play with no problems. OTOH, if different players are used for audio and video, that doesn't tell me anything.
Either way, I'll look at the debug info later tonight.

Thanks!
/var/tmp/$USER-xbmc.log Wink
Also please be sure you use the very latest svn version as we have done alot of alterations to paplayer and this is one bug that is supposed to be fixed.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
It's not fixed in SVN Sad

There are no messages that jumped out at me, everything was more or less "success" or "now doing so-and-so". Guess you need to know what's not being called ...

Spent some time hunting for why DVDs won't play. There's a libdvdnav error saying couldn't open dvd://1. Since I'm not sure what it should be (tried to change it to "dvd:///dev/sr0" (which is what VLC uses) in xbmc/Util.cpp but then realized that dvd://1 is an internal name Smile
Since I have no idea where it has to be changed to the real one (or if it needs to be changed at all), I gave up for tonight.
I just want to mention I am having the same problem.

I am also using F10 for x86_64. I recently reformatted and installed F10 x86_64 from i386 where everything seemed to work ok. However i don't know if there were changes in SVN in the meantime.

I'm going back through some old revisions seeing if sound will start working again. I'm a little at a loss of where to look for the problem as nothing suspicious shows up in the logs.
Well, the latest versions no longer make XBMC freeze up, but they don't play either. The progress bar advances now, and if I stop the playback, a moment of music plays (the very first piece of the song) and immediately stops.
Nothing obviously suspicious in the debug log...

As far as checking back revisions - paplayer and mplayer have had major updates recently...
Yeah i'm having the same problem, just did a fresh build and install from SVN, movies play fine and sound is good also, but i get no sound from mp3 music files, when i clink on the Music from the main menu I get the following output errors;

StdString: Assertion Failed on line 916
StdString: Assertion Failed on line 917
Error loading jpeg - no SOI marker found in first 4096 bytes
TIFF IMAGE: Cannot read TIFF header.
if the setting->Music->Files Enable Tag Readings is enabled that is what causing the following messages;

TIFF IMAGE: Cannot read TIFF header.

any ideas? i don't think that's what causing the no sound problem from music files.
brotherman:
I don't get those errors, and I have tag reading enabled.
Which svn revision did you compile? Did you do make reallyclean before ./configure and make?
brotherman: Are you using Fedora 10 on X86_64 as well?

I tried compiling some old svn versions i think 16000 had the stopping problem? After that it just became too time consuming trying to recompile (1/2 of the it wouldn't even compile).

Recent builds 'play' as in the progress moves but there is no sound output. Also there is no activity in the visualizer (i don't know if that helps locate the problem?)
jeffutter:
my symptoms are exactly the same as yours.

Wish I was more familiar with the code, maybe I'd know what's going on Smile
Okay, as far as reading DVDs, I think I have an idea now - looks like xbmc uses "dvd://1" as dvd device name, but since it's not a real file, libdvdread trips and can't read it. Not sure whose fault it is, xbmc or libdvdread, though.
Fry-kun: My latest build for is SVN 17147M. I did a "make clean", "./configure","make","make install". I can play all movies including DVD's with no problems, the music mp3 files play but no sound. My other music media players play mp3 files without any problems.

jeffutter: I'm using fedora 10 32bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music doesn't play (how do I debug this?)0