Samsung TV's and AppleTV = black screen
Folks, I have noticed a couple of threads about the screen going black. I have been using XBMC for a few months now and have always had this issue, every time I turned my TV on it meant I had to unplug my AppleTV and reboot to get it to work.

Getting fed up of this I did some digging and found out that it is actually an issue between the AppleTV's HDMI and Samsung TV's and was dead easy to fix. Mine works brilliantly now and XBMC is always there ready whenever I turn on my TV. I thought maybe it might be something that was affecting some other users too so I am sharing the fix just in case.

I know this is probably not what these forums are for but I figured if it helps someone out.

Cheers.

IMPORTANT: Be careful! This Menu has very important parameters which you should not change at all. You could 'brick' your TV if you change the wrong parameter!

Turn off the TV

If you have a 52" Series 6 model (my case), press 'Mute -- 1 -- 8 -- 2 -- Power.' If you have a Series 5 model, try 'INFO MENU MUTE POWER.'
The TV will start and you will be in the service menu (give it a few extra seconds to get there).

Using the arrows/enter buttons, go into 'Option Table (Service)'

Turn off the following parameters: hotplug and hotplugctr.

Turn off the TV.
The black screen and HDMI is actually an issue with the launcher and ATV version 2.3. It might be something more specific to Samsung, but if not, there is a much simpler fix. Simple update to launcher 2.2 with multi-finder, or 0.9 (just released today), to fix the problem. Now that's dead simple!
edge777 Wrote:The black screen and HDMI is actually an issue with the launcher and ATV version 2.3. It might be something more specific to Samsung, but if not, there is a much simpler fix. Simple update to launcher 2.2 with multi-finder, or 0.9 (just released today), to fix the problem. Now that's dead simple!

Did not fix it for me. This is an documented issue with Samsung and AppleTV over HDMI. It really has nothing to do with XBMC but thought I would post in case others like me assume XBMC was to blame.
Murphster Wrote:Folks, I have noticed a couple of threads about the screen going black. I have been using XBMC for a few months now and have always had this issue, every time I turned my TV on it meant I had to unplug my AppleTV and reboot to get it to work.

Getting fed up of this I did some digging and found out that it is actually an issue between the AppleTV's HDMI and Samsung TV's and was dead easy to fix. Mine works brilliantly now and XBMC is always there ready whenever I turn on my TV. I thought maybe it might be something that was affecting some other users too so I am sharing the fix just in case.

I know this is probably not what these forums are for but I figured if it helps someone out.

Cheers.

IMPORTANT: Be careful! This Menu has very important parameters which you should not change at all. You could 'brick' your TV if you change the wrong parameter!

Turn off the TV

If you have a 52" Series 6 model (my case), press 'Mute -- 1 -- 8 -- 2 -- Power.' If you have a Series 5 model, try 'INFO MENU MUTE POWER.'
The TV will start and you will be in the service menu (give it a few extra seconds to get there).

Using the arrows/enter buttons, go into 'Option Table (Service)'

Turn off the following parameters: hotplug and hotplugctr.

Turn off the TV.

Great man! Thanks a lot - worked great for me!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samsung TV's and AppleTV = black screen0