1080P X264 Over Wireless N
I currently have a G adapter setup to my box and 720P media will play fine while 1080P content chokes when the bitrate gets to high. My file server is wired to the router while the client running XBMC is connecting wirelessly.

Has anyone had any success streaming 1080P files over a wireless N network?

I just want to know it is possible before investing in an n router and card.

Also a wire is just not an option for this client, but when wired 100 base T streams 1080P just fine so I know the connection to the router is not the choke point.

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks!
Are there even any wireless n cards with drivers under linux?
The Linux distribution you're using, driver version. XBMC Build, from source or PPA? I'm not familiar with Wirless in Linux, but try other channels, and try without encryption/security.
Have you considered powerline adapters? Maybe a bit more expensive, but definitely more reliable.
Honestly do you think Wireless G would be sufficent for 1080P? G runs in 2.4GHz mode = distubance from microwaves and shit. You will see lots of LAG.
No wireless G is not enough bandwidth only about 2.5 megs a second no matter what channel or encryption settings. That is why I am asking if anyone has this setup with N.

Yes their are drivers for N adapters that is not the issue. The adapter I am looking at is compatible with linux and even if it wasn't you always have ndlswrapper.

In theory N should bump me up to 5 megs minimal even with interference and solve my bandwidth bottleneck, but I just want to make sure someone has it working before I go and spend 60 bucks on a router and adapter.

I am running hardy heron and my xbmc build is kind of irrelevant they all buffer content the same this is a system bottleneck.

Powerline adapters are terrible, my brother has one and only gets about 2 megs a second for transfers even after redirecting power to a dedicated breaker.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080P X264 Over Wireless N0