[RECOMMENDATION] Windows/XBMC 'WORKGROUP' Setting
Before the flames about not sifting through all the posts begin ... I'm just posting this as an observation while debugging and XBMC For XBOX issue.

Wink

The Windows PC WORKGROUP and the XBMC SMB Client WORKGROUP MUST match for network browsing of devices to occur.

IMHO, it would be a good idea to automatically configure the XBMC SMB Client WORKGROUP setting to match the Windows PC WORKGROUP option to match during installation. Additionally, the XBMC SMB Client WORKGROUP option should probably not be changeable from within the XBMC and should automatically change to ensure that it always matches the Windows PC WORKGROUP .

Since the Network Information typically matches the Windows PC, it would be convenient to have XBMC auto-configure the Network Settings: WINS Server, WORKGROUP name, etc.

Cheers,

KZ
What would happen when there are multiple netbios names floating around on the same network? This happens a lot!
WORKGROUP and WINS aren't in use in current win32 builds as we don't configure the network and just take what windows offers.
But the entries might confuse people and I'll remove them.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@SKiNNiEH:

You're correct, there can be multiple NetBIOS names on a network. That said, your Windows PC can only "see" those of the same name. The other NetBIOS systems would have to be reached via IP.

@WiSo:

That explains a lot ... and you're correct, it lends to confusion as one (me) might assume that they could be configured differently than those of the host PC.

Cheers,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RECOMMENDATION] Windows/XBMC 'WORKGROUP' Setting0