Prioritize custom thumbs over IMDB thumbs
Sad 
i really enjoy creating my own custom thumbnail graphics for movies. i edit out all the quotes etc from the image, adjust the levels, shrink it to 128x96 and use the sharp filter to make a very clean and crisp movie thumb. here are tow examples:
Image  Image

so what i wonder is this. if i use the imdb search on a movie, the thumbnail is changed to the graphic from imdb, is there a way to prevent this?

if not, couldn't the developers change it so that xbmc priorities custom thumbs (tbn) over imdb ones?

i'd appreciate any help on this  :thumbsup:
um.. i really doubt that will happen. your the only person i know of who prefers to make their own thumbs.
you could do a imdb lookup and overwrite the imdb thumb on the xbox afterwards.

very nice thumbs btw Smile
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
i can't be the only one who likes to make custom thumbs, can i..? and even if i am, it doesn't make sense to me to have a custom thumb overwritten if there is one present.
for now i'm just not using imdb, but i'd like to be able to..

changing the thumbs on the xbox afterwards is too much hassle for me, especially since they are named so strange that it would be hard to find out what is what.

charly, glad you like the thumbs. i've made over a hundred of these and the result is pretty great imo.
no, of course you are not the only one that makes your own thumbnails. i would have thought anyone that takes his media collection seriously has their own/custom art.

i've questioned this as a bug many times in the past, i really hate the way imdb lookup doesnt just display the thumbnail it retrieves off the site, but it actually overwrites it...
leave xbmc in the hands of some friends for a few hours, and all your hard work can be ruined.

imdb thumbnail generation really deserves a on/off checkbox in the config screens. saves unbinding imdb/training yourself and others never to use imdb/or spending ages doing what charly said.

ps. how come you you havnt done your thumbnails in 128x128? :)
i believe it was mentioned at some point that a folder.jpg should always override an imdb image. is this not the case now?
--jaga
hazeh - when i make the thumbs 128x96 they get the proportion of a dvd front cover and it's easier to find graphics to fit it without too much cropping and resizing Smile

jaga - i did use folders and folder.jpg thumbs for the movies before, but now i use .tbn files and no folders.
i suggest that xbmc should prioritize custom thumbs (tbn or folder.jpg) over the auto generated thumbs that you get if you retrieve imdb info.

or

have an option not to download thumbs from imdb.

this is my only issue with xbmc because i have custom thumbs for all my movies, and right now i don't use the imdb info because my thumbs get changed. i would really appreciate if either one of these suggestions (or both?) were implemented! :thumbsup:

it was also discussed in this thread:
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;t=5084
i've changed it, but can't test it.

if you want to test it, you need to change line 1401 (or thereabouts) of cguiwindowvideo.cpp (it's in setimdbthumbs()) from
Quote:    if (!pitem->m_bisfolder)
to
Quote:    if (!pitem->m_bisfolder && pitem->getthumbnailimage() == "")

let me know if it works, and i'll dump it into cvs.

cheers,
jonathan

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

booka!

please see your other thread on this same topic:

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....ry27862
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

those are some sharp thumbnails! any chance you would be willing to share them and post them in a zip file? i'm sure there are some in there i could use!
i really wish i could test it, but i have zero knowledge on how to build xbmc from the source code.. Image

anyone else care to try?
(shznyt @ july 17 2004,23:23 Wrote:those are some sharp thumbnails!  any chance you would be willing to share them and post them in a zip file?  i'm sure there are some in there i could use!
ok, i hope this might encourage someone to try out the code that jonathan posted..

here is my 122 custom movie thumbs:
download [3 mb]

they are all in png format. the method for making them is not that hard. i remove all unnecessary text and labels, adjust the levels and shrink and crop it to 128x96 pixels. and at last i use the sharp filter.
i made the change but it didn't seem to fix the problem. however, i did notice that now that project mayhem is the default skin, when you view imdb you never get a new background image -- i.e. the text is overlayed onto the movie view and is pretty much unreadble.
--jaga
i say that an on/off isn't good enough, it should not overwrite for files where you have uploaded your own thumbnail. this way, you may upload your own, but if you don't have every one of your movies with a custom thumbnail then you can still use the imdb icons. so all you would have to do is store the imdb icons in a seperate directory, and have xbmc check for your custom thumbs, and if there is a custom thumb then xbmc ignores the imdb thumb.
die hard xbmc and xenium user.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prioritize custom thumbs over IMDB thumbs0