HD movies on apple tv
hi,
i bought apple TV and install XBMC on it. and i get problem when i want watch hd movies.when hd movie playing FPS drops on 10 FPS and i cant watch movie. if i watch avi or dvd everything is normal. Huh apple tv is too weak or something elseHuh but if it is problem in hardware why i can play HD movies normaly on Apple TV softwareHuh movie is on my network storage

thx
How are the movies you're having trouble playing encoded? Saying "HD" encompasses a very wide range of codecs, resolution, bitrate, etc.
MediaInfo tells all
matroska, 10.9GB

video format AVC,audio stream AC-3
First video stream 9 229Kbps,1920*800 at 23.976 fps
First audio stream 640s 6channels,aAC-3

this is 1080p dark knight but i tried with other .mkv movies which are much smaller(720p,video stream 5 232 Kbps) and i get same problem

WhyHuh
CPU is way underpowered for 720p in higher profiles...
Apple locked down hardware acceleration and a CPU only 300Mhz faster than the Xbox and not a million miles away from it architecture wise... pretty much makes the Atv a sideways move from the Xbox rather than a hop up.....
Geeba Wrote:Apple locked down hardware acceleration and a CPU only 300Mhz faster than the Xbox and not a million miles away from it architecture wise... pretty much makes the Atv a sideways move from the Xbox rather than a hop up.....

It might be only 300Mhz faster but by now everyone should understand that clock speed alone does not determine cpu ponies. The 1GHz pentium-m inside the atv is about equivalent to a 2.2GHz P4.
davilla Wrote:It might be only 300Mhz faster but by now everyone should understand that clock speed alone does not determine cpu ponies. The 1GHz pentium-m inside the atv is about equivalent to a 2.2GHz P4.

Yep I know that.... still lacks ponies. low bus speed and optomised for portables and low voltage applications. Nerd
I have a bunch of 1080p and 720p MKV files. The Apple TV just can't handle them. What you need to do is convert to MP4. I have spent countless hours trying to find the perfect method for doing this. Handbrake will do it but I have had trouble using it. My current method is to load the file into Visualhub and select the Apple TV preset under the iTunes tab. Check off H.264 encoding and set the bitrate to something in the 5000-6000 range in the advanced settings. Unfortunately I have noticed that the files come out a bit darker than the original, but the software always works and the Apple TV can play the files. There are more advanced methods from people who know a lot more than I do, but that is what works for me at the moment.
Quit downloading movies and rip your own. I've tried a few times to download movies I own to save time and the randomness of the versions online just never work out. If I encode them myself I can get the settings perfect for the AppleTV and even include the AC3 tracks and get proper surround sound.

XBMC with my own ripped DVDs with AC3 tracks encoded in Handbrake with a manually set framerate give me a viewing experience that rivals my upscaling DVD player and has the huge advantage of a nicer interface for the content itself.

Now if only handbrake supported DTS tracks so I could encode all of those movies...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD movies on apple tv0