Install 2 versions on 1 pc
Is it possible to install 2 versions of XBMC on one computer? I want to install the "stable?" version from the PPA repositories and also build from source, so that I can play around w/ the SVN install, but fall back on the PPA install if I mess something up and don't have time to fix it before my girl wants to watch something.

Any ideas? I know I can prefix the SVN install, but will the newest install take over the /usr/bin/xbmc script? How would I launch one or the other?
openricky Wrote:Is it possible to install 2 versions of XBMC on one computer? I want to install the "stable?" version from the PPA repositories and also build from source, so that I can play around w/ the SVN install, but fall back on the PPA install if I mess something up and don't have time to fix it before my girl wants to watch something.

Any ideas? I know I can prefix the SVN install, but will the newest install take over the /usr/bin/xbmc script? How would I launch one or the other?

This is exactly what I do. I install stable to /usr and beta to /usr/local. I don't use the script to launch though, I use the awesome min install instructions here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:_Inst...ep-by-step

And just change my .xsession to point to what I want to launch at boot.

xnappo
Or just run from the build directory without running "make install". Set your XBMC_HOME first.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:Or just run from the build directory without running "make install". Set your XBMC_HOME first.

i've read in the threads for recent SVN versions that doing a "make install" is necessary now.

@xnappo: i haven't seen that guide before, it looks pretty useful. i think i'll try that along with your .xsession tweak. thanks!
openricky Wrote:i've read in the threads for recent SVN versions that doing a "make install" is necessary now.

@xnappo: i haven't seen that guide before, it looks pretty useful. i think i'll try that along with your .xsession tweak. thanks!

Yeah, it is useful, but be aware it is meant to be used from start to finish, so be careful with taking out random bits unless you are sure...

xnappo
yeah, no i plan to reinstall ubuntu and follow it thru, making some tweaks and scripting it up to launch xbmc-ppa, xbmc-svn, or boxee at my whim. and i'll be using hardy instead of intrepid.
one may also use the --prefix flag of configure and make. I'm running the xbmc-vdpau and linuxport branch side by side peacefully living together in /opt just by using --prefix
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Haggy Wrote:one may also use the --prefix flag of configure and make. I'm running the xbmc-vdpau and linuxport branch side by side peacefully living together in /opt just by using --prefix

Right - that is the same thing I am doing, only with /usr and /usr/local instead.

xnappo
xnappo Wrote:Right - that is the same thing I am doing, only with /usr and /usr/local instead.

xnappo

Are you guys running two separate library's since unless fixed they are using different versions for linuxport and xbmc-vdpau.

Dave
rodercot Wrote:Are you guys running two separate library's since unless fixed they are using different versions for linuxport and xbmc-vdpau.

Dave

I know I am not cool by saying this - but I don't use that feature.

In fact, the ability to just do everything old school by organizing in physical directories is one of the main reasons I like xbmc.

xnappo
rodercot Wrote:Are you guys running two separate library's since unless fixed they are using different versions for linuxport and xbmc-vdpau.

Dave

VDPAU has been merged into linuxport. There's no reason to use that branch anymore unless you have a very specific reason.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:...unless you have a very specific reason.
Only thing I can think of that fits that criteria is, "I want motd2k to bitch at me."
i just finished compiling the latest rev of linuxport and ran it with the same library as the ppa install from the repository (november?), and the libraries worked fine in both.

that being said, for ultra-safety, when i do my mega reinstall this weekend, i'll have each run as different users: "xbmc-svn" and "xbmc-repo"

not taking any chances
Only the library from xbmc-vdpau isnt compatible, you have to export your db and import it in a new library from the linuxport.

Anyone can help me with changing the prefix ?

I had xbmc-vdpau installed with --prefix=/usr/local and switched now to the linuxport and run it with --prefix=/usr but when i try to start the new one it still seach the files under /usr/local/share

I did an complete fresh checkout to an new folder und also an "make reallyclean" before from the xbmc-vdpau folder.
@MrDVD: i assume that when you "start xbmc" that you're issuing the 'xbmc' command, for which the system looks for that executable in each entry in your "PATH". if the first one it finds is for your installation in /usr/local/share, then that's the one it will always load.

try explicitly running /usr/local/bin/xbmc (maybe? i'm not 100% positive where it would be) versus /usr/local/share/bin/xbmc (again, maybe?).

you may have to poke around to find them.

or i may be completely wrong.

alternatively, you could use a script that changes your PATH variable...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install 2 versions on 1 pc0