Blu-ray working in XBMC for Windows with AnyDVD HD - What did I do right?!
Question 
I was playing around with my new AOpen MP45-BDR last night and I noticed something strange. I was able to play the blu-ray M2TS file of Pirates of the Caribbean II directly from XBMC! I did install the evaluation copy of AnyDVD for ripping, but is it also allowing XBMC to play directly off the drive? Yeah the menus and such arn't supported but If I can play a blu-ray movies directly from the drive without having to rip, is this not support for blu-ray or what? what did I do right here? It still takes up +70% CPU of my puny 2.0 GHz Cor e 2 Duo Mobile to play but I can live with that....
AnyDVD decrypts discs on the fly so yes, playing from disc using AnyDVD is just like decrypting to HD using AnyDVD and playing from disc.
HTPC: ZBOX-ID41 running OpenElec with Logitech Harmony remote.
NAS: Lian Li Cube, MSI P55-CD53, Intel I7-880, 16GB RAM, 23x 2TB WD drives @ RAID6, 500GB Samsung, Ubuntu Linux.
TV: Samsung UE75ES9005
I figured thats what it was doing, but its not really mentioned anywhere in the forums. All I saw was that you have to rip it before XBMC will play it... I guess thats what ANYDVD is actually doing, but it does it so well its like being able to blay BD directly from the drive. Hte only downside I guess is that ANYDVD cost money
i just ordered my HTPC, waiting on the parts so i can put it together. so i will be able to play blu-ray disc nativly in XBMC as long as i have anydvd is installed?
Has anyone else given this a go yet ?
I'm tempted to get a BluRay/HD DVD drive for my Shuttle MCPC.
Sounds hopefull !
I have! Big Grin

Seems to work a treat. I'm using a trial version of anyDVD so I get the nag box when I put a disk in, which is no biggy, although a little annoying, as the intention is to use just XBMC as the interface.

The only thing is you have to browse to the stream folder on the disc and manually pic the biggest file (about 30gb)

The system dual boots Mythbuntu with XBMC for linux as well, but I need the XP partition for the bluray. Now, if I could get anyDVD or equivalent for Linux, I'd be laughing! Nothing beats XBMC as a media centre, IMHO! :thumbs:
Will it only play the Blu Ray original or will it also play a rip which in on the hard disk?

Thanks
kemik Wrote:Will it only play the Blu Ray original or will it also play a rip which in on the hard disk?

Thanks

XBMC plays m2ts files. AnyDVD just removes the encryption from the disk. If the files have already been ripped to the hard disk, AnyDVD should no longer be needed, and XBMC should have no problem playing them. At least, as far as encryption goes.
jplatt Wrote:Hte only downside I guess is that ANYDVD cost money
And it's way too expensive. $85 for AnyDVD HD and you only get to use it for one year and then you have to pay again.

Too bad nobody else has figured out how SlySoft is doing it. I can't wait until there is an open source solution. Every now and then I read the decrypting forum on doom9 and I find it fascinating how these hacks progress but realize how little I actually understand about decryption.
I think it is only no updates after a year, it will keep working for at least until the disks encryption is modified such that anydvd would need updated to read the new encryption.

While it does suck for new customers, at least old customers got in with free lifetime updates.
TeknoJnky Wrote:I think it is only no updates after a year, it will keep working for at least until the disks encryption is modified such that anydvd would need updated to read the new encryption.

While it does suck for new customers, at least old customers got in with free lifetime updates.

A huge number of bluray's use BD+ now and, if I remember right, each new BD+ title basically requires an update from slysoft. So, if you continue buying new movies you'll always need an updated AnyDVD.
LaTropa64 Wrote:A huge number of bluray's use BD+ now and, if I remember right, each new BD+ title basically requires an update from slysoft. So, if you continue buying new movies you'll always need an updated AnyDVD.

Yeah, that is a pain. I suppose I'll just end up using Cyberlink powerDVD (which shipped with the drive), which is a shame, as the XBMC interface is so much better. At least I can skin PowerDVD to match, and it can be started using Launcher.
LaTropa64 Wrote:A huge number of bluray's use BD+ now and, if I remember right, each new BD+ title basically requires an update from slysoft. So, if you continue buying new movies you'll always need an updated AnyDVD.

God i hate the bluray format. So much hassle Stare
LaTropa64 Wrote:And it's way too expensive. $85 for AnyDVD HD and you only get to use it for one year and then you have to pay again.

Too bad nobody else has figured out how SlySoft is doing it. I can't wait until there is an open source solution. Every now and then I read the decrypting forum on doom9 and I find it fascinating how these hacks progress but realize how little I actually understand about decryption.

$152.11 USD for lifetime license of AnyDVD HD. Worth every penny, if you like to keep all your DVDs, Blurays, and/or DVDs decrypted and region free. Also helps when you want to keep digital copies of them
Thumbs Up 
isamu.dragon Wrote:$152.11 USD for lifetime license of AnyDVD HD. Worth every penny, if you like to keep all your DVDs, Blurays, and/or DVDs decrypted and region free. Also helps when you want to keep digital copies of them

Actually it's on sale till 3-20 for ~$122 US dollars, even more reason to snag a copy! (given today's exchange rates anyhow)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blu-ray working in XBMC for Windows with AnyDVD HD - What did I do right?!0